Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
60,473 Posts
Can you bring back the list with Birthday's. And who is the latest new member. Which bike you have and the date and time when you have posted a post.
And how can you start a new posting ??
And when you look in the profile the date and year of birth.
And changing the colour of letters in your postings.
Just some things that are gone now.

·
Administrator
219 Posts
Can you bring back the list with Birthday's. And who is the latest new member. Which bike you have and the date and time when you have posted a post.
And how can you start a new posting ??
And when you look in the profile the date and year of birth.
And changing the colour of letters in your postings.
Just some things that are gone now.
You can see user birthdays here among other notable actions:

There are tutorials in this thread starting with post #1:

More info on the FAQ here also:

Jeff M

·
Registered
620 Posts
I see improvement in the avatar photos, instead of a little round dot they are a slightly bigger square. But photos are still cut off. There should be room to make the avatars bigger still (200x200px) like they were, don't know how it looks on a phone, though.

Also still missing: the "check mark" or other indication that you've posted in any given thread when browsing forums. :)

·
Administrator
24,848 Posts
Also still missing: the "check mark" or other indication that you've posted in any given thread when browsing forums. :)
That is driving me nuts too.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I really don't understand why the marketing types, that is who usually instigate change, have to muck things up with such radical changes. There is really nothing wrong with staus quo. If it is in an effort to increase readership, I think you have fallen short. The OTHER board that looked identical to this one is doing just fine. I know, no mater what anyone says, the board is going to stay this way because the change has already been implemented. Marketing needs to remember that the biggest resistance that anyone faces is the resistance to change.

·
Administrator
21,992 Posts
I don't know what everyone is bitching about. Management has done its job and eliminated any and all of the "good" that was left of the original site. It is no longer, and will never again be a safe, friendly place.

I come back only because I've got no where else to go. Habit mostly...and the button is still on my computer. I've stopped trying to figure out how to navigate this new world. It is alien and inhospitable.

Memories of the good times will soon fade and I'll be off to who knows where. Most likely Goldwingdocs, though I'm not fond of the way that site is set up either, it is still about the bikes and the community, and is certainly a lot better than what we now have here...

...which in not even worth bitching about.

·
Administrator
219 Posts
Hello all,

To be clear this update needed to happen to keep the site relevant and alive. The change will take a bit to get used to but the majority of all vBulletins sites will be getting this update over the next year and weekly updates will be made as we develop new tools and features in the house.

With regards to vBulletin specifically, there were several factors considered when moving away from VB:

-vBulletin does not support IPv6, leaving a security gap in registration and spam management
  • vBulletin relies on third-party plugins that get more and more unsupported with each passing year
  • vBulletin skins do not properly respond to mobile devices (which is a significant and growing portion of site traffic).
  • The most stable VB version is 10 years old and is only updated with security patches. Newer versions are known for very difficult bugs for usability (inability to post pictures for instance)
  • vBulletin's response time is staggeringly slow at best, even with the most recent server updates we've performed
  • Use of VB still requires us to lean on a third party for major updates and fixes should something break in the core software
There were also some major challenges in making the site able to keep up with Google's new strict search standards. Some more info here:

and

Jeff M

·
Administrator
219 Posts
I see improvement in the avatar photos, instead of a little round dot they are a slightly bigger square. But photos are still cut off. There should be room to make the avatars bigger still (200x200px) like they were, don't know how it looks on a phone, though.

The Avatar update is final at this time if you want to have a larger image of your ride you can use your signature.

Jeff M

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't know what everyone is bitching about. Management has done its job and eliminated any and all of the "good" that was left of the original site. It is no longer, and will never again be a safe, friendly place.

I come back only because I've got no where else to go. Habit mostly...and the button is still on my computer. I've stopped trying to figure out how to navigate this new world. It is alien and inhospitable.

Memories of the good times will soon fade and I'll be off to who knows where. Most likely Goldwingdocs, though I'm not fond of the way that site is set up either, it is still about the bikes and the community, and is certainly a lot better than what we now have here...

...which in not even worth bitching about.
I have moved over to Goldwing Docs for the most part. Not as much going on there but I figure as you guys get fed up here things will pick up there.

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
The Avatar update is final at this time if you want to have a larger image of your ride you can use your signature.

Jeff M
BAD Idea Jeff, We squelched that a long time ago, because it made the Posts ungainly long.
I do NOT encourage the use of Images in the Signatures that use more than maybe 80 pixels at most. My little GIF is about the biggest that I want to see in Images.

there are a couple of forums around that are allowing images that are nearly 800x600.
Once you let it get started, everyone wants theirs bigger....
I will remove large images from Signatures, that is a promise.

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
I have moved over to Goldwing Docs for the most part. Not as much going on there but I figure as you guys get fed up here things will pick up there.
Actually, based on today alone, we are getting just as much traffic as *.docs
Online statistics
Members online 8
Guests online 216
Total visitors 224

I forgot to watch this thru the day, but the posting activity has been good.
I am seeing as many as 12 new posts after 2-4 hours of not looking.

.we are also picking up roughly 2 new members a day, which is not bad.

·
Registered
372 Posts
To each their own, This is just not the place it used to be. I am not slamming it or telling people to leave. I just do not like the way it went. It may be more user friendly to those of you that have the time to spend browsing for hours to try to figure things out but with my ADHD I just don't have the patience to sit still that long. It is funny that I was never diagnosed with that. I figured it out after my daughter was. I was just a "Problem Child" in school. I couldn't sit still, couldn't concentrate on school work. Once out of school I learned how to make it work for me, as a mechanic I would just do several jobs at the same time, bouncing from one to another and back again. This kept things different while at the same time kept the work moving in the right direction. Still do that to this day. When on the computer I am bouncing between sites and/or getting up to do yard work. So you can see where sitting and trying to learn a whole new site is just more of a pain than moving to one with a familiar format. I am not going to stop coming here altogether, just not on a regular basis. I will eventually pick it up I am sure but the way this was done was just not right. If the owners keep working with the members then it will work. So many sites fail because of this type of change where the top people just drop out and stop helping.

·
Administrator
21,992 Posts
Seems to me like the activity here stopped with the new platform. Lot's of regulars no longer showing up. John, are you saying that's not the case?

I never figured out how to make the "NEW" button work for me, but going through the different forums show that there are very few new posts. And most of them are in this thread.

·
Administrator
24,848 Posts
Online statistics
Members online 8
Guests online 216
Total visitors 224
That is pitiful. I would guess it's never been worse except the last few days when there have been as few as 4.

·
Premium Member
60,473 Posts
You can see user birthdays here among other notable actions:

There are tutorials in this thread starting with post #1:

More info on the FAQ here also:

Jeff M

I think it is not working yet. I have looked several days now but there are no birthdays there.
Strange that nobody has his birthday from all those members here.

·
Administrator
24,848 Posts
I think it is not working yet. I have looked several days now but there are no birthdays there.
Strange that nobody has his birthday from all those members here.
First a member must put their birthday in their profile and many don't. And it may be that the software doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Seems to me like the activity here stopped with the new platform. Lot's of regulars no longer showing up. John, are you saying that's not the case?

I never figured out how to make the "NEW" button work for me, but going through the different forums show that there are very few new posts. And most of them are in this thread.
Whats the problem Dennis,
You dont like

Deer Alerts
Last poster here
Alphabet game
Answear a question with a question
Take one word
Word association
Word story
Alphabet game ...mark II
Another alphabet game
What is this ?

Thats a shame because they provide a lot of useful info for a bike rider.

101 - 120 of 151 Posts