Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It is quite hilly where I live, and I frequently get stopped on some quite severe uphill grades. I find the uphill start out to be the single most difficult thing about riding my Wing. I am not talking about slight grades here, but grades that require serious brake to hold the bike and some serious power to get going.

I have experimented with the front brake and throttle and the foot brake and throttle. I have a bit of difficulty with the front brake/throttle thing, so I usually just use the foot brake. As I start to release the clutch and apply power, and feel the bike wanting to go, I release the foot brake. There can be no back sliding, as this will almost guarantee a tip over or an engine stall.

I would be grateful if any of you who also live in hilly areas, would chime in.

Flatlanders just don't know that challange.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

I'm surprised how hilly this area is, some decent grades and of course someone decided the top most part would be perfect for a stoplight:?

I use the foot brake to hold the bike, like you mentioned, until I feel it start to pull then release the brake.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

Hi Ken,

When i did my riding test in Northern Ireland a "hill start" was compulsory, they always used a hill called Pates lane or it's twin, Captain Streetwhichare about a75 degreegradient. They would teach you to do it just as you described. Footbrake until you feel the bike wanting to move then gently lay on the throttle while at the same time slowly let off the brake.

Thats how i've always done them!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

75 degrees? Or 7.5 degrees?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I come from Chicago where the biggest slope is that on your driveway. Ran into a lot o trouble in Duluth where the streets seem to go straight up in some places. Could have used wheel chocks at the stop lights. I ended up using the same foot brake technique and it worked. It takes a little getting used to. I imagine that the way I was doing could be very good for your bike over a long time.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Yeah....I was thinking the same thing! 75 degrees is pretty dang steep!

But being fairly new to Wings myself, I am learning to use my foot brake to hold me on what hills are around here.
My biggest challenge is my gravel driveway!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Riding around here we have some of the same challenges, especially in downtown Tacoma & Seattle. The method you use is the same I use. I slip the clutch a little longer than on a flat start too, because I'm using higher revs. Glad for the wet clutch in the hilly areas. :)

John

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I'm guessing, butcould also be75%??... ~37 degrees??...

but probably 7.5 degrees... that is about 12% grade

Attachments

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Nope, I ain't doin' the 75 degree grade. Nuh uh, not me, not my wing.

Any questions?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

WingedNut wrote:
Nope, I ain't doin' the 75 degree grade. Nuh uh, not me, not my wing.

Any questions?
:shock::shock:Me neither!!!! Thats worse than the banking at Talladega Raceway!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
I'm guessing, butcould also be75%??... ~37 degrees??...

but probably 7.5 degrees... that is about 12% grade
ok...sorry guys....going by the diagrams above was 75% maybe closer to 70% but very steep nonetheless remember my instructor telling me that for every 10 feet forward you went up about 6feet....hope this clears it up

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

6' up for 10' foward is still a 33 degree slope. Even Halifax streets are flat compared to that.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Yup... always a very confusing topic to me. Requires getting out the trigonometry book.

Easier to use a table. Here you go:

SLOPE GRADE to SLOPE ANGLE

% Grade Angle (in Degrees)
0% 0
10% 6
20% 11
30% 17
40% 22
50% 27
60% 31
70% 35
80% 39
90% 42
100% 45
120% 50
140% 54
170% 60
200% 63
250% 68
300% 72
400% 76

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I use the foot brake method as well, except when I'm on a hill and turning right and the road slopes away to the right. Then I have to use the front brake method and use the right foot to keep the bike upright. Not an easy feat, but it can be done fairly smoothly, with practice.

Dusty

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
.....Then I have to use the front brake method and use the right foot to keep the bike upright. Not an easy feat, but it can be done fairly smoothly, with practice.
The friction zone bud, the friction zone. Otherwise your Wing is gonna break your foot off of ya one of these days.

John

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

75 degree grade? What do you use coming down, a parachute?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I use the same technique, hold the bike with the foot brake so your use of the throttle hand will be free for more delicate operation. Rev it up a bit and slip the clutch a bit, sometimes you just have to. I've ridden2 upin Seattle and Tacoma which are cities built like San Francisco, mostly up and down, and it does take some careful handling. Especially when you're going up in the middle of a block and some idiot pops out of a side alley forcing one to stop suddenly in a steep part of the street. Do that on a rainy day and you'll break out in a sweat no matter how cold it is. Those kind of conditions make me want a Burgman with it's automatic transmission more than ever.

I usually cheat a bit. I always try to adjust my speed to avoid hitting red lights on the more severe up grades. Also try to pull up far enough onto the cross street to get the bike on mroe level ground even if it means stopping in the cross walk. I've never had the bad luck but I did see some poor soul drop a Harley on upper Cherry street in Seattle (which is a nasty steep section that bus drivers hate) some years ago. The bike slid backwards on it's side then came to rest against a car with the seat and handlebars facing down hill.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

On slight grades I plant my feet solidly and let the footpegs rest against my shins, that makes moving off very easy.

As the grades increase I hold with the front brake if possible, and just let the bike rest against my legs momentarily while I release the brake and move off.

When it gets too steep for that I do the back brake thing, although I can manage just as well with the front. My RH index finger has long been trained to hold the brake lever while the rest of the hand works the throttle.

The disadvantage to this is that when it is cold, I have to consciously put my index finger on the grips to get warm, which means moving my hand to the right.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I usually cheat a bit. I always try to adjust my speed to avoid hitting red lights on the more severe up grades. Also try to pull up far enough onto the cross street to get the bike on mroe level ground even if it means stopping in the cross walk. I've never had the bad luck but I did see some poor soul drop a Harley on upper Cherry street in Seattle (which is a nasty steep section that bus drivers hate) some years ago. The bike slid backwards on it's side then came to rest against a car with the seat and handlebars facing down hill.
Yup. Me too. Lived in Metro Denver for 14 years and put some miles on further West, also. Rolled thru many a stop sign. I like the foot brake, tho', when I can't cheat.

One time, we drove up to one of them Sequoia trees in California, with a road paved right through the trunk? The road up there caught me off-guard and I almost lost it ('77 GL1000 w/full Vetter gear), but managed to find 1st gear just in time. But about 20 minutes later, a guy on a big HD bag-wagon riding 2-up wasn't so lucky...I just know he left some crash-bar chrome on the road up there...and they were both limping a bit with blood traces on their denim knees...:waving:

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

everyday, i get to practice uphill and down hill riding. and when things go terribly wrong.... uphill pushing:shock:
i think i live on the only hill in florida:cheeky1:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.