Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I've been having trouble with my linked brakes on my Honda ST1300, and had to break into the system to replace something called a secondary master cylinder...which sticks...often....and then it drags your rear brakes! PITA!

Well, Red and I got it swapped out, and then went to exchange our brake fluid, and then bleed it....simple, right? Nope! Not on your life!

Our first try was a disaster....I couldn't suck up enough fluid and air with my handheld mityvac, just couldn't do it.... Linked brakes are greato, but it takes a lot of suction to flood the system, especially if you replace that complete assembly......

Well, we needed something better, and fast, if we were going to Nassir. We didn't have the scratch for a $300 trick commercial brake machine, but we did have the smarts to utilize our old Hoover vacuum cleaner. We spent probably under $15 on a snap-shut container (Bi-Mart), three barbed hose receptors (Napa), and a plastic pipe elbow, screw in plug, and vinyl tubing (ACE Hardware). I sealed the barbs into the receptacle and the screw in plug with silicon adhesive (Shoe-Goo, actually). We took our vacuum cleaner hose to the hardware store to get a correct fit........ The thing worked like a charm, and probably as good as $300-$400 worth of commercial brake machine.... we went back to my wonderful father-in-law's borrowed garage, hooked it all up, and with Red pouring and me bleeding and our Hoover sucking, we got a firm pedal and a firm lever in under an hour!

Here's our baby below! Try it yourself; it makes it so easy we swapped our clutch fluid as an afterthought!

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you got it. I was afraid you'd have to submerge the bike in a tank of brake fluid and shake it.:action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

SWEET! Now be honest Red did all the hard work, like.............putting up with you:cool:

Glad you both got it solved:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Necessity - the mother of invention!

I love it!!

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to meeting you both at Nassir3.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

McGyver at work. :):) Knew you could do it. Most things not as hard as they look.

Kit

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

Very cool! :)

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

A Man that not only works on his own machines andhas his Woman helping, but makes his own tools toget it done in anothers garage...

Now that's how it's done Fellas... :clapper:

Good Job CJ.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

A wife that lets you use the home appliances is pretty cool. I have to wait till mine goes to visit her parents before I can run my tackle boxes through the dish washer. :)

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I'm impressed -- must be a nice Hoover,

I'm more of a Eureka guy myself :)

Glad you got it all done!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

A little side note -- Don't run a vacuum very long under those conditions. The unit needs the air input to cool itself, and a motor will burn up, or cause pre-mature damage, without air going thru it. Best to make a variable inlet valve (tee), and let as much air into the vacuum as possible, and still have enough "suck" to do the bleed job.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

could put a petcock on the pvc piece the vac hooks to.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
A little side note -- Don't run a vacuum very long under those conditions. The unit needs the air input to cool itself, and a motor will burn up, or cause pre-mature damage, without air going thru it. Best to make a variable inlet valve (tee), and let as much air into the vacuum as possible, and still have enough "suck" to do the bleed job.
We only run it about 30-60 seconds per bleeder, shut it off in between..... only gonna use it as a brake machine maybe once or twice a year.....if we burn the Hoover up, we'll find another second hand one. Still cheaper than the "Commercial brake bleeding" unit........lol......

But I was thinking that if I ever get an air compressor, I might do away with the Hoover and exchange the plastic pipe elbow for a skinnier T, and blow compressed air through the T....which creates a venturi effect...... some "Commercial brake bleeders" use that system....

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...as do some carburetors... :smiler:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

They also make cool little vacuums for the aircraft industry that run off of shop air. Those things work great, but you had better have a good air supply, those things use a lot of compressed air.....:cool:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Yep the venturi effect works great. They make bench hold downs for wood workers using the same technique. Once you turn the valve on you can lift the entire work bench with the hold down.

Henry

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Quite clever indeed.:applause: Glad you twogot it done. Now get the camp gear ready ;)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Is it just me... or does that thing look very similar to something my roommate had in his closet back in college!

:cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.