Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This post is my attempt at tongue in cheek journalism but the question is at the end. lol :goofygrin::cheeky1:

There are two Honda dealerships close to me that seem to have very busy parts departments (if you call you are put on hold for a long time). I think that when yougo to work for a dealership they must send you to a special school. All they need to teach you in school is "We don't have that item in stock but we can order it for you. It'll be here in two days" Seems that no matter what I go after, this is the answer I get. I don't think they have any parts behind the wall. It must be there to fool people into thinking they have lots of stuff back there.

I went to the honda dealer the other day for some washers. I wanted 6ea of the washers that go on each side of a banjo fitting to keep the brake fluid from leaking but the answer was "We don't have that item in stock but we can order it for you. It'll be here in two days". I wonder what they would say when I went to pick up my partsif I told the cashier, "I don't have any money in my pocket now but I'll order some, It'll be here in two days" :dude:

Finally the parts guy said just go to the auto parts store they have them there. :stumped:If I go to Auto Zone or Advanced - - -What do I ask for? I'm pretty sure they probably have no idea what a banjo fittings.

Thanks for tolerating my rant. I'm sure none of you have ever had to wait for parts.........rotflmao

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

You know, I could understand it if it is a rare item. But, I went to get a tire and got 'We don't have that item in stock but we can order it for you. I'll be here in two days' lol

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

honda used to make the dealers carry all the parts and the dealers whined.... the problem is that honda changes everything all the time and has lots and lots of models.... some for a year or two, some form many years (and they still change things) I bet they have hundreds of thousands of defferent parts... oppsss... try to get a critical part on an older wing and it is discontinued!

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

I had to have new brake lines made for my 1100a at San Antonio Brake. They would make them out of any color or material that is used for brake lines. They had all of the materials including banjo fittings in stock except two, unfortunately. They did order them and the lines were ready in two days. They make brake lines for every conceivable vehicle and all are tested to DOT standard pressures. There has to be a shop like this in most major metro areas. dvjac

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
imported post

hey Chuck, I work in the parts department at a dealership (not Honda) and am very familiar with what you are refering to. However, if you stop for a minute and think, there are quite a few models from each manufacturer, each carrying their own vast supply of parts. We have an aftermarket supplier about 40 miles away as the crow flies and I would venture to guess that they have about 250-300,000 square feet of storeroom. They are just one of the stockhouses for motorcycle parts and don't even carry all the parts in that one stockhouse.That company has3 others stockhouses throughout the US from which they supply. That is just for aftermarket parts, not even OEM. Take into account also that when you order a part and we in turn order from the supplier we have to pay for the part (Net 10) in order to get it. If all we did was stock parts hoping they would sell then we would have a fortune to tie up in parts, hoping that maybe one day they would sell and we would get our money back. Many OEM and aftermarket parts are not picked up after they are special ordered for a customer thereby causing us to require 100% payment in advance so we don't get stuck with a part taking up stock room. As for tires, there is very little mark-up in tires and again many different sizes and brands. I could fill my stockroom with just tires and still not have the right size half the time. If we just figure that part of our orders will be no sales then we have to figure losses into the items we do sell thereby jacking the prices up. I have yet to meet the customer that says "Gee, that's not expensive enough, please charge me more." At least 60% of the customers come in with no idea what the model number is on the bike they are riding. All the electronic microfiches are arranged by model number, not model name. Therefore we have to know almost all models by name & number, try that some time. I love my job, and being able to help people get their machines going again, but there are a lot of customers who act like we are there just to put them out. Try a little patience next time and work with us. Thanks.

A ranting from the other side of the counter.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

i wholeheartedly agree with you mark but consumeables should be stocked as good practise.........:cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
imported post

we do stock most filters, oil, sparkplugs and high turnover items. In addition, our computer systems tracks all sales and if we see a high turnover of special order items we try to keep them in stock. I can look most parts up in the system and take payments over the phone for special orders, thereby saving at least one trip. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to stocking all items that are deemed consumables. The dealers don't want to be stuck with them if they don't sell and the buyers don't want to wait 1-2 days. What to do?????

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Mark, the rant os OK......

This is why I started this as tongue in cheek.

I think that we could all agree that no dealership can keep everything in stock but how many different sizes washers for banjo fittings could there possibly be? I would wager to say that they probably had the disks if I wanted to redo my brakes. Yet if I have a leaking washer, my brakes don't work so good.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

At this time, at least they CAN order the part.
It wont be much longer before these OEM parts will be gone so we might as well start now by cross referencing this stuff.

I was floored when I needed a speedo and tach cable and the local dealer had both in stock!
Then I needed a head gasket and found it at another dealer, only because the parts guy was willing to take the extra effort to go look instead of trusting the computer.

I guess I'm lucky here in L.A having alot of dealers within 100 miles.

Honda must have a ancient computer system too because they cant check other dealer's stock like Auto Zone can.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Chuck,
The problem as I see it here is that you are going to the dealer first. You should be going to the dealer last. Well, just before Saber Cycle that is.

I use Vencowings.com because they almost always have what I need, get it to me fast and since Jim Venne and his brother work on wings, he and Sue Venne know exactly what you need and everything that goes with it.

The stealers only have shops these days to handle selling bikes. Especially that one down in Warner Robins.

Venco unless you like screwing around first.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
imported post

Rally-Gator wrote:
I can look most parts up in the system and take payments over the phone for special orders, thereby saving at least one trip.
Being able to take payments over the phone for special orders is a great benefit for the customer.

Itried to ordermy timing belts from Autozone over the phone. They said they would need payment first before ordering. I said "fine, here's my debit card". They said they couldn't take that over the phone, I had to go in to pay for it. Fortunately they are only a couple of miles from me, but it was a trip that could have been avoided had they taken payment over the phone.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

gladmaker wrote:
Rally-Gator wrote:
I can look most parts up in the system and take payments over the phone for special orders, thereby saving at least one trip.
Being able to take payments over the phone for special orders is a great benefit for the customer.

Itried to ordermy timing belts from Autozone over the phone. They said they would need payment first before ordering. I said "fine, here's my debit card". They said they couldn't take that over the phone, I had to go in to pay for it. Fortunately they are only a couple of miles from me, but it was a trip that could have been avoided had they taken payment over the phone.
My stealer needs payment first for most any parts as well. Even for the warranty recalled Bank Angle Sensor. Then they refunded it when it was put in by the service dept.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
imported post

halls51 wrote:
You know, I could understand it if it is a rare item. But, I went to get a tire and got 'We don't have that item in stock but we can order it for you. I'll be here in two days' lol
Hell Halls there all that way get used to it.LOL:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:, after you order it and it comes in don't ask them to do it it'll be a couple of weeks:cheeky1::cheeky1:

Slink:grinner:

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Chuck,
The problem as I see it here is that you are going to the dealer first. You should be going to the dealer last. Well, just before Saber Cycle that is.
OK but you missed the Autozone just before Saber Cycle...:cheeky1:

Well unless you want oil or cleaning supplies... I think Autozone hires Wal-Mart rejects...

My $0.02 much less in British currency.:coollep:

Long story... but in short.... I don't buy parts from Autozone... Advance yes Autozone no.... I haven't found an Autozone yet who has someone with auto smarts behind the desk... but they sure know their sickers...:grinner:

OK one quick Autozone story... went in to buy oil... I asked for a case of my favorite oil for my Mark VIII. The guy brings out the wrong stuff. (I was pointing to the stuff I wanted a case of) Next he asks I don't have a case of that oil but I have it in bottles. Hmmmmm... Is it OK if I put them in a box..... Hmmmmm...:baffled:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

mespock wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Chuck,
OK but you missed the Autozone just before Saber Cycle...:cheeky1:

Well unless you want oil or cleaning supplies... I think Autozone hires Wal-Mart rejects...

My $0.02 much less in British currency.:coollep:

Long story... but in short.... I don't buy parts from Autozone... Advance yes Autozone no.... I haven't found an Autozone yet who has someone with auto smarts behind the desk... but they sure know their sickers...:grinner:

OK one quick Autozone story... went in to buy oil... I asked for a case of my favorite oil for my Mark VIII. The guy brings out the wrong stuff. (I was pointing to the stuff I wanted a case of) Next he asks I don't have a case of that oil but I have it in bottles. Hmmmmm... Is it OK if I put them in a box..... Hmmmmm...:baffled:
I would agree with the AutoZone thing. The don't have much anyway. I only use them for the lifetime warranty replacement bolt on parts like water pumps and such for cars.

I really have come to like Advance as my first choice, then OReilly, then Napa if I want to pay too much for something.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
imported post

Cool... After the hastle that I got when I replaced my Torque Converter on my 95 Mark VIII and they sent me the wrong part after getting everything ready..

Then them telling me that I was wrong...

Then Corprate Autozone telling me I was wrong...

Then talking to a Tech from Autozone Corprate who told me that Autozone was run by a bunch of idiots... and that I was right...

All they can do is read the computer...

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

You"re lucky...I order parts and have to wait two weeks.................................. Dave in Western Australia, WA.......Wait Awhile..........

·
Administrator
57,487 Posts
imported post

Mespock- your first mistake was in thinking that Autozone hires people who can think. And, I have learned the sad, hard way, that if the part you need is important, and hard to get too- you do not want to buy it from Autozone.

Their lifetime guarantee is good for one thing, you get to keep changing out that part for the rest of your life on a quarterly basis.

I am through with Autozone, especially when it comes to electrical parts. They buy the cheapest junk possible. Their rebuild facilities stink. I have never bought a rebuilt alternator from them and had it last a year. The last exchange I got wasn't worth taking home, spun the rotor before leaving the store. The bearings were rough. Made them give me another one. The only reason I was there was the one I had in the car was from Autozone and it was being warranteed out for the 5th time!!! :p

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mespock- your first mistake was in thinking that Autozone hires people who can think. And, I have learned the sad, hard way, that if the part you need is important, and hard to get too- you do not want to buy it from Autozone.

Their lifetime guarantee is good for one thing, you get to keep changing out that part for the rest of your life on a quarterly basis.

I am through with Autozone, especially when it comes to electrical parts. They buy the cheapest junk possible. Their rebuild facilities stink. I have never bought a rebuilt alternator from them and had it last a year. The last exchange I got wasn't worth taking home, spun the rotor before leaving the store. The bearings were rough. Made them give me another one. The only reason I was there was the one I had in the car was from Autozone and it was being warranteed out for the 5th time!!! :p
So maybe by lifetime they are thinking you won't live long enough to change the part out that many times. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.