Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

You may remember a few months back...wanted info on cross country trip? Oh my word... what were we thinking?? You advice really opened our eyes and we are trying to do this the right way!

Gary has been putting a few miles on the bike and getting used to carrying a load in the trunk and saddlebags. He put me on the back for a short trip last week-end and we did fine... so, today we go for 3 hours to Cedar Key! Going to stay over for 2 nights and then home.

We are excited and cautious...and very THANKFUL for all of you!:bowing:

Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

Hope you have a great trip!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Trajan:
Sounds like a plan! Have fun! We did something similar when we got our 1500. Short trips. Then last year, one week after our oldest daughter's wedding (October) took a trip up to Mena Arkansas, then further north to Fort Smith then returned to Fort Worth.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Cool:cool:Sounds like what Tracy and I did prior to any long trips.

Be safe and have fun, remember to do those preride checks.

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
imported post

It is Thanksgiving weekend. Watch out for the turkeys on the road.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Cedar Key is nice place . I hope its a wonderful weekend trip for you .

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Trajan;

Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving trip out and a real safe ride home.

Anxious to join all of you on those rides out and back :)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Hey Susan! :waving:

Glad that you and Gary swallowed your pride, rethought itand did the right thing. :clapper:

The trip you are undertaking will be a good shake down run(besides being warmer :D) , give you a good 'taste'o touring experience' and after a couple more trips, you'll have a better idea of what and how much to pack for that big trip, next year. :grinner:

Enjoy the experience, it's a great 'life'! :action:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Enjoy your day, everyday is good when you out riding. Be safe.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Saturday night... we're home!

What a great trip! Temp was high 40's on thursday when we left. Went up I-75 to SR56. Florida trees actually change color! Then we picked up the Parkway and we were the only ones on the road....so nice! SR24 into Cedar Key was pretty much the same. Gary got used to the weight of full trunks and me right away...no problems! My biggest challenge was getting the intercom plugged in right (and I need to hear from some ladies about "helmet hair" fixes :()

Lots of bikes in CKey, so Gary chatted while I shopped. CKey is a lazy fishing village, very quiet, and exactly what we needed!

Took off this morning for another beautiful ride. Already planning for tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again for keeping us on track,

Susan

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Glad you guys enjoyed your first 'Wing trip. As for helmet hair the woman who hangs around here always grabs her brush out of the trunk as soon as we stop for any length of time and goes to work with it. The brush that is. You can mount a mirror in the trunk lidthat apparentlyhelps with the toilette. I wouldn't know having given up on hair some time back.:cooldevil:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Congratulations Susan and Gary on your first successful Wing trip! Thanks for sharing it with us. May there be many many more. :) You guys will never regret taking the time to get familiar with your new bike before taking off cross country. It will make all your touring so much more enjoyable, as well as safe. Well done!:clapper:

John

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

The helmet hair thing. . . ummmmnn. . . from the female perspective? Well can't really help you there but for myself what little hair remains gets cut really short for the riding season. Janice also keeps a brush close at hand and doesn't get overly concerned about stylin'. When touring, helmet hair is a fact of life.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I asked the Mrs and she says longer straight hair styles that can be put in t pony tail . She tried short and says its like birdnest when the helmet comes off . Yea carry a brush . Though I have to wonder if you put on a scarf before the helmet would that help any ? Glad you had a nice getaway .

·
Just one of the guys
4,804 Posts
imported post

Just put a scarf on after you take the helmet off. Hide it and don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I'm glad to hear that you had a fantastic trip. It only gets better and better as the time and the miles go by.

Nancy has short hair and still gets helmet hair. The brush comes out as soon as we stop if it's going to be much of a public appearance.

Now if it's just gas and a short break before getting back to burning up the miles she will wear a bandana. She wears one sometimes under the helmettoo if she's getting that itchy feeling after having the helmet on all day.

I hope that maybe the first of the year we can work out a small get together for us local Florida riders, maybe Plant City. They have a bike night the first Saturday of every month.

I'll just have to see as this month goes by.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a great trip, especially reading it while watching the SNOW fall, it seams like helmet hair comes with all helmets, My wife gets the shortie cut before our trips & like all the rest of the ladies keeps the come /brush close with the mirror on thew trunk lid as mentioned before. I've got used to cleaning the windshield while the hair gets attended to. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Trajan wrote:
You may remember a few months back...wanted info on cross country trip? Oh my word... what were we thinking?? You advice really opened our eyes and we are trying to do this the right way!

Gary has been putting a few miles on the bike and getting used to carrying a load in the trunk and saddlebags. He put me on the back for a short trip last week-end and we did fine... so, today we go for 3 hours to Cedar Key! Going to stay over for 2 nights and then home.

We are excited and cautious...and very THANKFUL for all of you!:bowing:

Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving!
Wife and I just returned from siesta key in sarasota.wondering if you have been there?
Great beaches

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.