Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

All Trike owners my Trike had a transmission failure at 10750 miles Mother Honda said That they would cover the parts when the Engine and Transmission was taken apart and pictures taken and sent off Mother Honda then denied the claim because it is a Trike I am asking all Trike Owners to contact American Honda Motor Co. about claims being denied there are to many Trikes out there for them to say that all claims will be denied so please coctact them for more info on mine you may contact me [email protected] and think it could be you on the road away from home when it happens to you

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

For what reason did they give you that it was denied? They just can't arbitrarily deny you. What year is your trike and who did the conversion?

Give all the info you can right here on the forum.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Mine is a 2007 Motortrike with 11000 miles the reason was that it is a Trike

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

caem wrote:
Mine is a 2007 Motortrike with 11000 miles the reason was that it is a Trike

They can't do that! Have them give you the reason in writing. What they can do is, if it is determined that the conversion caused the problem (and they have to prove this) then it can (in some instances) be denied. Go to your company that did the conversion and get detailed informaion on specs from them. Was it done by that dealer or home made?

Still need a lot more infomation from you.

When I ask what dealer I mean what conversion dealer did the work and what type of conversion is it. Look under the bike on the side rail there should be a make and serial number, don't need the serial number but what is the make?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Dam-n dealers.

My local Honda dealership had a band new trike on the show room floor a couple years ago. I thought they converted it, but found out later it was done by another local MC shop. I have not seena trike on the showroom since, but I was think of sales. Reasoncould have been a liability or warranty issue, or directive from Honda for them to cease this kind ofconversion.

Many trikes change the steering rake, isn't that a weld angle change?

Also, the standard rear hub has dampeners. Our diesel engines on our test stands can really tear upour drive lines - especially the small engines. Pulsations at idle are severe in setting up a harmonic. Standard shift transmissionshas springs in pressure plates, automatics has a torque converter. GW really have nothing, but they do have dampeners in the rear hub. Just some examples.

Sure, make every effort to force Hondato reconsider. I would also find out what specifically is considered void in a conversion, if anything.

Trikers: Have you had any warranty problemswith the dealership?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

It was installed by Island Trikes of Forest Grove Oregon the Trike kit was made by Motortrike Corp. of Troup Texas

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Start by getting specs from them and explain the situation as well. Have them send you information on the rear end specifically as that is what Honda is probably going to try and go after. But before bringing this all up. Ask to talk to the factory rep and do all this without getting upset or mad at them, you get better results with butter than pepper, I just made that one up. Anyway, keep appealing to the next stage. But I would get from the manager at the Honda dealer where you took it a written statement as to the denied warranty work and why.

I just checked out there website, (MotorTrike Corp.) they are a big established company. Get all the info you can from them as I mentioned above. Again, talk nicely to everyone no matter how upset you get.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If you modify a manufacturer's product they can't be held to the warranty. That has been clear since the beginning. Once a triker makes a modification to a bike they need to be prepared to assume the warranty load for it after that point. Most won't.

You decided to make a custom product out of it voiding the warranty. That is why I recommend that people doing that should wait or buy a bike just out of warranty before making modifications of any kind.

Unfortunately, that includes trailer hitches and side cars as well. Not too sure I'd put a rear frame load on an aluminum framed bike anyway, but I can see their point.

If it were my product I wouldn't warranty it if mods were made. And triking is definitely a product mod. If you didn't understand that, your triker didn't inform you and you didn't do adequate research before making the commitment.

Reads kind of harsh. Sorry about that. It's just the way it is. If you get Honda to help you it will be a gift, not an obligation. I hope you get the gift, but I don't expect it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
GW really have nothing, but they do have dampeners in the rear hub.
Actually the GW does have a shock absorber or dampener in the output shaft of the transmission.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Yep, once we trike em, Mother Honda is definately out of the loop! Sucks, but any manufacturer of anything has the right to void the warrantee if the basic concept has been altered. How much are they gonna soak you for, if I may ask? I have this same thing to look forward to when something goes wrong with mine I can't fix myself.If they will even work on it. jimsjinx

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Yet, a Harley trike has a full warranty. At least, that's what our local dealer rep told us as we were scouting out the trikes they have (had) in local show-room. Go figure.

Honda won't fix a light bulb in the dash, if it's triked, altho some dealers will go ahead and do it. But, that's not with mother's blessing.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Our local Honda dealer has new trikes on the showroom floor. They are converted here at the dealership. All body panels come pre-painted. I was told that they carry a full warranty.The dealership in Mississippi where I got my 2006 had a dozen or more new 2006 trikes in the showroom. I doubt that they would void the warranty on a dozen new bikes justo sell the trike kits.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Cowboy26a wrote:
Our local Honda dealer has new trikes on the showroom floor. They are converted here at the dealership. All body panels come pre-painted. I was told that they carry a full warranty.The dealership in Mississippi where I got my 2006 had a dozen or more new 2006 trikes in the showroom. I doubt that they would void the warranty on a dozen new bikes justo sell the trike kits.
Could be the warranty would be limited to that shop only.
At any rate, even if they "say" full warranty it means nothing if it's not in writing.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I wonder if "Power" dealers can pull that off?, but a little local one horse dealer would never get that kind of support from Mother. Don't know. I know our local dealer hates Wings period, let alone trikes. The trike guys go up north for issues, I have heard.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Cowboy26a wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, he is probably self warrantying them or not reporting the mods and making regular claims for items that are still original and them making claims to the triking company for the rest.
I'll bet dealers elsewhere won't accept warranty work on them under Honda warranty for the traveling owner.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
If you modify a manufacturer's product they can't be held to the warranty.
Rudy, that is not entirely true. I will find the information to back this up, but for now, they still have to honor the warranty with everything except the part that was changed. Now if they can prove that the conversion did the damage to the transmission then it will be so. I don't remember who has the responsibility to prove that, but I'll find it. They still have to honor other engine parts, bike parts, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

You mean to sit there and tell me that if I go to a local Ford dealer and spend $30K on a new Mustang GT and drop in a SOHC 427 that I'm going to void my warrenty ??? :D

Don'tread me wrong here; I like the looks of a proprly done trike kit, but it's long past the time for folks to get a grip on life and start to see how the real world works. Maybe there's a reason that Honda doesn't manufacture and sell Triked Goldwings to the public.

Back in themid/late 80's the 500Silver-Wing was triked and sold to police/civic organizations with a very limited use warrenty. But I don't believe even those had any coverage for the drive-line/rear end. :gunhead:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Rudy wrote:
If you modify a manufacturer's product they can't be held to the warranty.
Rudy, that is not entirely true. I will find the information to back this up, but for now, they still have to honor the warranty with everything except the part that was changed. Now if they can prove that the conversion did the damage to the transmission then it will be so. I don't remember who has the responsibility to prove that, but I'll find it. They still have to honor other engine parts, bike parts, etc.
I hope that's the case, although in this case, I would think one would have a hard time getting the tranny fixed with the trike differential sitting behind it in the drive train.

Anybody know what's up with these periodic 1800 tranny failures I hear about from time to time? Might make a good class action suit if it is fairly common. I don't surf any of the 1800 boards.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

You may be right about this case as it is directly attached to the damaged item. But lets hope.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

If you find that information could you send me that please at [email protected]

Thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.