Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the team knows, I’m always thinking ahead.... we need to start working on the next NASR that doesn’t have a host to keep this event going. It’s a lot less stressful for us and the future host when we have well in advance.

Does the committee have any ideas on future hosts?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I know that I'm not part of the committee, But I was talking to Bob Smith at the SE M&G, and he said he would like to host another Canada event.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
I thought someone had volunteered in Texas for #13. What ever came of that?

Sure would be nice if we had something more centrally located.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
Texas has been ruled out due to the extreme heat back when it was being done in July....

That was US385, Travis who talked about it. think he has changed his mind now.

there have been a few who talked about hosting, I did not write their names down.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
I thought someone had volunteered in Texas for #13. What ever came of that?

Sure would be nice if we had something more centrally located.
13 has already been set in Arkansas.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bike and Dennis, I would agree on something centrally located. The issue is finding a host who is willing to do the event so we have to look at the members who stand up and volunteer to be the host and where they live.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
13 has already been set in Arkansas.
Yeah, I know, but Travis was talking about hosting it in Texas over a year ago.

Bike and Dennis, I would agree on something centrally located. The issue is finding a host who is willing to do the event so we have to look at the members who stand up and volunteer to be the host and where they live.
I get that. I was merely stating an opinion, maybe in the hopes that one of our more westerly members would read it and have an idea light come on in their head. Maybe with a little bell ringing.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem Dennis......I hope you didn’t take offense to my statement. Just a reminder about the NASR Coordinator Forum. The Mods can see if which I have no problem with at all but it has to stay confidential between the coordinators and Mods. Things get talked about in here that the members don’t see. Not that it’s a big secret, just things may change before the event and we don’t want to ramp up members. The whole goal of the coordinator’s forum is to keep this event going and give the members and event year after year. If any of the Mods have any ideas of a host, please let us know! I don’t have a problem in the world reaching out to them no matter where they are located in North America. (You know, I’m shy like that!)?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
I do think it's a bad idea hiding the planning from the membership. I thought the meet was intended for them. Has that changed?

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Yes the event is for the membership however you open up the can of worms of everyone wanting what they want. By keeping it with a small group all the spectrums are covered while still providing what the general conscensus wants.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
Dennis,

in the last 3 years, we have tried to get ideas from a wider audience.
indeed, just for the fall Meet 'n Greet, asking for a 'committee' to help us met with zero responses.

BS, we did too, we put out a blanket FB Messenger request for help, and no one replied......

so, Andy, Dave, Chuck, and I went with what we know....
all of a sudden, there was a tremendous squall from a bunch of folks who said "no one asked me". and that is how it ended up at Norfolk, AR
and the fall event at Harrison, AR

that same scenario arose with the NASR/NASSIR rally decisions when we tried to get a wide open audience..... all of a sudden,

1. that is too far west
2. that is too far east
3. we dun been there before
4. that is too hot, make it in late may or june
5. adnauseum....

it just does not work.
in all organizations, there has to be a steering committee, and their decision has to the way it goes.

we have to have Volunteer hosts, we can't just assign the job to someone out of the blue, they will disappear in the woodwork never to be seen again.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Anyone who has ever been involved in planning an event knows John is 100% right on. Too many people involved in the actual planning is like herding cats (but harder). Just be thankful a small group of individuals is willing to take on the task, which is to gather the appropriate info from available sources, then put it all together as an enjoyable meet for everyone to enjoy.

One (big) consideration is: Where would a majority of attending members come from? If the answer is "East" then the numbers for a west coast event might be difficult to plan for, not knowing for sure the approximate size of the group.

Personally I'd like to see something in the western half of the country for a change...but I'm not willing to host it, so I don't know that my opinion is all that valid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts