Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PJ has a small apartment here in Dayton, as his wife has to stay in Dawsonville, GA he is alone for weeks at a time.... so, he built up a work bench to keep him busy in his off hours.

and here is his bowl full of hickory shells setting on top of a vibrator machine....... he says about 8 hours polished up the brass shiny new....

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
510 Posts
Rock Chucker?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, RCBS
that whole entire work bench, powder, all the dies, an older gentleman set it all up 20 years ago, and life changed and it sat unused....

he listed it on ArmsList for $500 for everything. His wife was tired of looking at it.
the RCBS had never, ever been used!!!

PJ priced out just the powder alone at over $500
then add in the cost of dies for .223, 5.56 and the RCBS, and the special tools, cleaners, etc...
so the table was free, it is super heavy, made out of 4x4 for the legs, and cross beam supports, and all of it is lag bolted together. the top is 2x4s, the RCBS is setting on a steel plate, and underneath is another steel plate so the table top is not stressed.

He just put some special dies in it last night, the primer now goes into a special jig in the bottom of the RCBS and it is then pushed up into the shell casing. Works so slick. He is using Magnum Primers.

here are some pictures, and I didn't near get it all... everything shown came with the bench.

the hands tools are the magnet strip are his before he got the bench

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
510 Posts
All very familiar, I've seated a lot of CCI primers and charged a lot of 3031, to the smell of Hoppes #9, though not for a very long time.

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal. Is that a set of flip up sights in the picture in front of the die sets? I bet he got some shiny brass in 8 hours, I usually run mine for about 1 hour.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a pretty good deal. Is that a set of flip up sights in the picture in front of the die sets? I bet he got some shiny brass in 8 hours, I usually run mine for about 1 hour.
I didn't pay attention to the sights, but I do believe you are correct.

The brass is so shiny, that if I touch the case, I leave a finger print on it.

All of the brass he has scraped up from the gun ranges, seems the High Rollers don't do reloads.
the military base is only a few miles from here, huge museum there....
lots of vendors selling to the military bring their buyers out to the gun range to shoot 'for free', so they just leave the brass on the ground.

He cleans the brass overnight while he sleeps, then watches TV while he runs the primer cleaner thru the cases..... when he gets enough to spend a night reloading, he will run all primers for one night,
then only do the powder the next night,
then press in the bullets...

he likes to just do it in stages and a specified goal for the night, 50, 100 or ???

he is working 12-14 hours shifts, so his off time is pretty short... usually 50 cases is all he can do in one evening before he crashes and has to hit the sack.

He is past the point of liking this job, but the money is what keeps him working TDY here for 2 weeks at a stretch. go home late Friday night, return to work late Sunday night.
makes for a short weekend every 2nd or 3rd weekend.

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
I didn't pay attention to the sights, but I do believe you are correct.

The brass is so shiny, that if I touch the case, I leave a finger print on it.

If he doesn't have a use for those sights I do.
I wear nitrile gloves when handling brass to prevent finger prints. Once they etch into the brass they are hard to remove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts