Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ive got a 75 goldwing thats been sitting for 10+ years that im tryin to get goin again:gunhead:. (heheh) anyways a pluged a new battery in her and most of the stuff works (ie starter, lights) :clapper:. Anyways the bike was running when it was parked all those years ago but I don't see how with this kinda spark. I know theres more than a coil to this thing so I'm wondering if there is anything I should try/have a look at before I rip into the ignition system? Could this 7v regulator everyone on here talks about have something to do with it?

thx again guys

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

resto wrote:
Ive got a 75 goldwing thats been sitting for 10+ years that im tryin to get goin again:gunhead:. (heheh) anyways a pluged a new battery in her and most of the stuff works (ie starter, lights) :clapper:. Anyways the bike was running when it was parked all those years ago but I don't see how with this kinda spark. I know theres more than a coil to this thing so I'm wondering if there is anything I should try/have a look at before I rip into the ignition system? Could this 7v regulator everyone on here talks about have something to do with it?

thx again guys
Hi resto, the 7 volt regulator just supplies voltage for the temp and fuel gauges. I'll assume the bike has the standard point ignition system and hasn't been modified with CDI. My first check would be the points, they've been sitting there for more than ten years and probably are a bit corroded at best. Also after sitting for ten years I'd change the timing belt before I ran the bike at all, if those break it will get real expensive real quick. Take a look at the information at Randakk's GL1000 site, lots of good stuff here for your bike.

http://www.randakks.com/

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Some good info from exavid.

If the bike has been sitting for a long time I'd also check the connections to the coils and ballast resistor. Those old bullet-type connectors can corrode with age.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for the advise guys. Ill check that stuff out and I did know about Randaks site, its kick ass but thx anyways. Keep reccomending him to the newbies!And don't worry Exavid. I've already "had the pleasure" with the timing belts. :D

Cheers guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.