Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi besides having a 1200 84gw i also have an 84 vt500 shadow and here is the prob.

wont start. pulled the plug grounded it to the case and no spark. i removed the plug

wire and tried to read back thru the spark plug wire to ground but got no reading is

this normal?? infinate resistance..???

since a coil will have little or no resistance to dc hate to spend the time and

moneyfor the part if not the prob. any help on this one..

p.s. what a great group.. thx scot

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

No, you better not have any resistance. A coil is like a small transformer. You'll have 12v going into the coil, and 14,000v coming out. Give or take a few thousand, depending on the application.

On your 1200, you will get a resistance reading if you were to measure between the plug wire 1 and plug wire 2. Or 3 and 4. Never to ground. If you do measure a reading to ground, you have a problem with your coils or wire.

Without a wiring diagram on the VT500, I couldn't guess how the coil(s) are set up.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

true but what about weak spark? the batt is a little low but i should see something

from the body of the plug grounded to the chassis when i turn over the engine?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Certainly a low battery can cause a weak spark. Low voltage into the coil equals low voltage out. How little low is little?

Yes, you should see a spark with the plug threads grounded to the engine. Just make sure it's a good ground. Other than that, I hope someone more familiar with that model can help you more.

Raymond

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.