Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a state where you only have to wear a helmet if you are under 18 or for your first yr having your lic. I admit in the past Inhave rode back roads without a helmet, but now I always wear one....however, 90% of the riders I see on the road here done wear one...so, How many of you wear one?

Btw I just ordered another 2 new helmets, I have way too many now...lol

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
I ride my little dirt bike to the mail box without a helmet, but that's it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think after taking accident scene management courses for biker's in my early 40's I wear my helmet 99 percent of the time also I'm not promoting it but if there is something in your area in the realm of a accident course I would suggest taking it. Iv'e used my training a couple times at cycle accidents , it's a good thing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think after taking accident scene management courses for biker's in my early 40's I wear my helmet 99 percent of the time also I'm not promoting it but if there is something in your area in the realm of a accident course I would suggest taking it. Iv'e used my training a couple times at cycle accidents , it's a good thing.
I have taken dozens of scene magagement courses over the yrs( Medic 22 yr) I have seen it all, I do advise anyone to wear a helmet and protective clothing, but in my Home state very few do wear, lots of shorts, tank tops, flip flops, and no helmets...

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
I've been known to ride with my flip flops.... almost from the shop to the mailbox out front, that's maybe 300 feet?

Maybe the same for no helmet, just puttzing around the acreage moving the bike from a different area than where it was....

But, when I leave the drive and hit the highway? law or no law, it is ATGATT.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've been known to take a turn around the acreage without one, and I shouldn't even do that, but highway? No way without a helmet.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts

It's the law here now so I do wear one.

Five years ago me and a bud took the Road to The Sun and after we stopped at Logans Pass, I rode down the West side of the mountain with a ball cap on. There was construction most of the way so it was stop and go.

I think we did about 20 miles before pulling over. That was the first time I had rode without a helmet since the late 60's. I felt naked the whole time and wore the helmet the rest of time we were in Montana.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
I felt naked the whole time and wore the helmet the rest of time we were in Montana.

I rode from 1 parking lot to another 1 time, about 20 feet on the street, without my helmet and felt naked doing that.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
The only time I have ridden without mine was on a trip across western Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle. We had a cross wind with sustained speeds of 40 mph and gusts of appx. 60 to 65 mph. I thought the helmet would rip my head off. Got tired of riding one handed and holding the helmet down with the other. Was forced to ride around 250 miles without head gear because of the wind.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I'm lucky to live in a State where it is a choice and not a law... I choose to take advantage of that choice.
I live in a state the requires me to wear one, and when I travel to states that do not, I don't always wear one. In those circumstances, I wear a helmet when it is comfortable to do so. When it is hot, my helmet is in the box.

I believe that a helmet can cause fatigue. I would rather avoid an accident than dress for one. Encasing the head in a plastic bubble is not natural and I think they suck. My opinion does not involve anyone else's choice and I could care less what anyone thinks of my "dangerous" acts. And no, your insurance is not higher because of my thinking. You can go ahead and call me donor man for all I care.

If it was legal to use, I would use a bicycle safety helmet.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I'll do the politically correct thing and say that it's your head and if it's your choice, do your own thing. I can't and won't push my own agenda on you.

Having said that, personally, I have almost always worn a three quarter helmet. Same thing with my wife who has been riding with me for 38 years. That convicition was reinforced about 15 years ago when an emergency room doctor looked me in the eye and told me that if not for my wife wearing her helmet, I would be needing the services of a mortician, not his services.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Back in my early teen years, my friend and I were riding our dirt bikes home from a day of riding in an old river bed. He took off his helmet about 3 blocks from his house. A car did not see us and ran through a stop sign. We took the ditch to miss them and both ended up in a barb wire fence. I had the wire tear through my upper lip and he hit his head on a fence post. He suffered a head injury and was in the hospital for two weeks, I got stitches. Thank the lord above we both lived. Since then I have always ride with a full face helmet.

I live in a state where you only have to wear a helmet if you are under 18 or for your first yr having your lic. I admit in the past Inhave rode back roads without a helmet, but now I always wear one....however, 90% of the riders I see on the road here done wear one...so, How many of you wear one?

Btw I just ordered another 2 new helmets, I have way too many now...lol

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Ask Power Guy about riding to the corner without proper foot protection!!

How many surgeries was that??...after his Wing decided it needed a quick nap on a slippery surface??

Here in Ca. it has to be DOT or higher and half-helmets are legal, eye protection required- full windshield counts as that protection.

When I noticed many of the motorcycle `club` guys wearing full-face flat black color helmets,
I asked if that was the younger and older guys who were being safety conscious?
Ahhhh NO, its because as soon as you step outdoors there are cameras...everywhere!
Its pretty hard to know/prove who it was when black jacket- black full helmet- dark shield is the only description!

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Ok 2 points to make here. 1. Helmet sounds like it was to big and 2. Why would you ride in 60 mph winds?
Ok I have done #2...but I know my helmet is the correct size. ( can slip fingers between helmet and head)

The only time I have ridden without mine was on a trip across western Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle. We had a cross wind with sustained speeds of 40 mph and gusts of appx. 60 to 65 mph. I thought the helmet would rip my head off. Got tired of riding one handed and holding the helmet down with the other. Was forced to ride around 250 miles without head gear because of the wind.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.