Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 149 Posts

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
And all of you are speaking about your choice. America is great in all other aspects except requiring responsible, sensible motorcyclists to wear a helmet. However, you can go home and smoke and drink yourself to death legally. Only if you pay your long term health insurance?

The same argument can be had over having a gun stuck in your belt..... only if you have long term health insurance paid?

It is because people who ride motorcycles are not in solidarity about CHOICE, that we have these helmet laws. Perhaps you might consider CHOICE and you chose to ride with one. I would salute you if you supported choice, just as I solute you choosing to abstain from drinking, smoking and drugging.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here in CA, they are required. Even when I ride in states that do not require a helmet I keep mine on. I like the added protection in case of a spill. It also has my headsets for radio, provides protection from weather, bugs, cold, sun exposure. It just works for me.

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
Does anyone on here not wear a seat belt when driving? Do you have a choice? What bothers me is as far as I know seat belts are required by law everywhere, helmets are not, why is that? I kind of think it's revenue, everywhere it's required most everyone who rides a motorcycle wears a helmet and there are a lot less motorcycles than cars in the US so not much revenue there. On the other hand a lot of people don't wear a seat belt, my son can take pretty much all the overtime he wants just to ticket seat belt offenders. He gets a lot of other "business" from that too, 1 day he made 2 arrests on federal warrants from seat belt stops.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I live in a state where you only have to wear a helmet if you are under 18 or for your first yr having your lic. I admit in the past Inhave rode back roads without a helmet, but now I always wear one....however, 90% of the riders I see on the road here done wear one...so, How many of you wear one?
All of the intelligent ones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does your theory also apply to Roe v Wade?
I agree that we should have all this choice, but we should also be prepared to pay for the consequences of our choices.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the choice and choose to wear my helmet. The only accident I ever had was after work on my bike and had changed out of uniform and put and my helmet in my saddle bags, 5 miles before I hit 6 block of hydraulic fluid. I was LUCKY then.

Now saying that I do enjoy the quiet neighborhood, empty street ride occasionally to allow my helmet to dry out and cool off during a hot summer evening or a brief break while returning cross country. On those rare occurrences there is no traffic, clear roads and slow speeds. Yes it feels great (like streaking back in college! LOL) but since last year's desert ride I've added a very comfortable. light weight and cool Bell 3/4 to my available lids and its almost as enjoyable as streaking. Ten months a year though my modular Scorpions are in full use (besides I can hear the sound system, GPS, CB, GPS, Scanner and Sat Radio better and have no worries when the wind throws crap at my face.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Living in the great state of Iowa with an active and bold ABATE group, I choose not to wear a helmet. Most of the time. If I'm on an all day ride on 4 lane highway I may wear one. It helps minimize wind fatigue. Or if it's raining. I rode to Branson last year during an extremely hot period. Over 100 degrees F. Missouri requires helmets. It was miserable. I rode into Arkansas and took my helmet off and enjoyed my ride again. My great state, in this regard at least, recognizes I am an adult and am able to determine whether I wear a helmet or not. And I behave as an adult and wear it on occasion but typically not. I choose. Not some idiot that has never ridden a motorcycle.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I've always been a proponent of choice when it comes to helmets. That being said you will never see me ride without one...ever.

I used to ride with a 3/4 helmet until I went down on a dirt road when a car pulled out into me and ended up having the skin on my jaw sewn back on (1975). That made me rethink my choice in helmets. I started wearing full face helmets and lately modular ones. I had a rear tire blow out on my MotoGuzzi in 1977 and I was wearing a Shoei S20 full face helmet. I listened to the road tearing away at my helmet for several hundred feet before the bike and I came to a stop. The entire right side of my helmet was worn away so you could see inside and I walked away without a scratch. ATGATT saved my body and head. Had I not of had the helmet on I would not be here to tell you my story.

So you wear or don't wear what you want. I will always have mine on and fastened.

To whoever above said they had to ride for miles in the wind holding their helmet on with a hand, you have the wrong size helmet. It is way to big for you and could injure you in an accident. It should fit snug all around and you should not be able to lift it up off your head from behind.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Was in Daytona this past weekend. My son-in-law was driving back to Tampa on Sunday, separate from me, and got whacked about 30 minutes out of Daytona....by a 4x8 sheet of plywood. That would be funny, if it were not. His helmet was carefully placed on the rear seat backrest, not his head. He just left the hospital in Sanford this evening, headed back to Tampa. Fractured clavicle, fractured and depressed orbit, multiple scrapes and abrasions on his face, and a scraped up left hand (he's left handed). A pretty damn good report, considering the possibilities. He had just bought some new glasses at the speedway, and showed them to me right before he left. I didn't put 1+1 together, to realize he was planning on not wearing his helmet. He virtually always wears it, just not on that particular fateful ride. The pickup in front of him was towing a trailer with plywood not secured well enough, and one sheet flew up 15-20 feet in the air (he says) and there were no better options left or right. Surgery has repaired the fractured orbit. A sling will be the treatment for the clavicle. The hand just needs to heal up. Anyway, as a shoutout for humanity, the truck driver stopped to render assistance, and provided insurance to the trooper. They just had a baby on February 3, and really didn't need this. The baby was in NICU for a couple of weeks, and still requires 6 hour catheters from my daughter, his wife, an RN. A helmet certainly would have helped him avoid all the facial damage. On the other hand, I have speculated that a helmet may have caused a neck injury, or spinal damage. So, I'm torn on this one. I wear my helmet 95% of the time, with an occasional ride to the store without. It's just one of those freak things that you cannot see coming, predict, or protect from on a bike. Overall, God was watching over him.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
All of the people who have experienced broken necks due to the increased weight of the helmet are not going to weigh in here and tell us about their experience. Some will tell you that the reason your helmet was skidding on the pavement had to do with extra weight the helmet put on your head which put your head against the pavement. There are quite a bit of arguments going both ways.

I say, I would like to have choice. In 45 years of riding, I have been down once. I probably only have 5 more years of riding. I would gladly take my chances that I will be ok for the remaining time on the bike. Besides, I do enjoy my Nolan, with the integrated headset along with the CB, Am-Fm Radio, the MP3 and the integrated GPS. I just don't want to fully suit up to ride to the post office. I wear it as often as the weather permits and the law demands, which for me, is most of the time.

I feel sorry for the pirates who have to don their whole uniform just to ride to the bar.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
A friend of mine was having a conversation with a retired LEO about carrying protection. The LEO asked why he didn't have protection all the time and was told, "I only carry protection when I think I will need it." The LEO responded saying that he didn't need to carry protection, all he had to do was just not go to the places when and where he would need it. Helmets are a lot like that, just don't ride when and where you will need one.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Accidents happen most frequently in the 5-10 miles of home, where many of those `I was only running up to`...stories begin.
My brothers Bell Star sits on display with face shield worn thru (from his youth in the 70s) as a reminder to wear proper gear!
I admit to wearing a half helmet sometimes- it is less weight on the neck which helps me ride longer.
As long as nothing is ever on the road, or darts in front of me, or flies off a truck = Im fine!
The days I feel danger may be afoot, full face arai with the shield down.
Have a modular but its weight and balance dont compare to the Arai
Need to have an analysis of my brain done,,is it worth more than $100??

During a recent unplanned conversation with a Hiway Patrol, Harley buddy wearing half helmet and sweat-shirt got full speed ticket, and 2 fix-it tickets!
while I - wearing the Arai with Tourmaster jacket and pants got written for 5mph lower...coincidence or courtesy--as thanks for wearing the gear?!
and the brains to lift when you see a cop!!

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I might not wear a helmet all the time, but I do always use protection. Sun screen, sun glasses and a hat are important. Keeping hydrated is important.

41 - 60 of 149 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.