Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
1,566 Posts
I can't ride anymore but when I still could it was 100% with, at least, a helmet. Never ridden with flip flops or shorts either.

·
Administrator
25,036 Posts
Never ridden with flip flops or shorts either.
Last time I rode dressed like that was my high school freshman initiation. I rode to school in cut off shorts, a cut off T shirt and sneakers with 1 sock. It was cold that morning.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
never wore flip flops while riding a motorcycle
stopped wearing shorts back in the '80's after passing a convoy of gravel haulers
don't like half helmets, too much wind noise, I like my ears too
Michigan recently dropped the mandatory helmet law for most riders but 99.9% of the time I have mine on and if I'm leaving home my helmet is on

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Flip flops guy, most of the time . I will die with a smile on my face in FL
What if you "only" snag your feet ??
I wear protective gear,for a reason,....I don't like losing body parts !
A friend,some years ago, wore flip-flops "just to the corner"...he didn't see the piece of metal that flipped up,and took off his two outside toes,on his right foot !
As for shorts ? Ever have a bee fly up the legs of your shorts ??
You get NAKED faster than a stripper on a rich man's boat !!!
(Don't ask me how I know . I was young,and stupid,once .)

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
I know a guy that said, riding motorcycle is for idiots. As we all agree we take as much of a chance every day as we are comfortable with. That guy just found out he has terrible throat cancer ( if they operate him he may lose his voice box)
Dying in diapers of old age scares me more then dying in motorcycle accident. Of course I know I can hurt myself badly and end up miserable without dying.

·
Registered
357 Posts
what kind of helmet? 1/2, 3/4, FULL? TOP OF THE LINE $$$$ or E bay special? just out of idle curiosity. I wear the half helmet, I putter around town mostly, it is HOT here most of the time. I shd wear more of a helmet, I have full helmet, motocross and street, it would help keep the wind out of my ears and maybe my ears wouldn't ring .... quite so much after I ride around town for a bit? but I couldn't hear the stereo or cars, but I can do w/o the stereo and mirrors adj properly I can see the cars... if I am paying attn.

When I was younger, I wanted a bike, the folks said,"NO!!!! when u get out on ur own u can do whatever u want" in the meanwhile, the ppl that I knew that had bikes .... had ... "problems." woman driving into the sun turned LEFT in front of my guy, he caught his leg between the bike and the bumper of the car... they shortened is leg ~1.5" as the bone was shattered... so they had to go into the other leg and shorten it the same amt so he wouldn't walk in circles. his gf, riding on the back was thrown clear. I don't remember if they had their helmets on, probably not, this is not a "helmet" state

Other guy had a mini bike, 3/4 helmet, dumped the bike going down a hill; he said his sister, who was riding on the back of the bike rode his head down the hill. he had gravel in his cheek ... the rest of his days. yes, it is a person's choice (except in helmet law states), BUT if a person has a traumatic brain injury and is disabled the rest of their days in a nursing home costing the taxpayers ~ $6000 A MONTH for the rest of the person life because they didn't wear a $50-$100 helmet? I can see how the states/gov is mandating helmet laws. $10,000 insurance in FL instead of a helmet? $10,000 can be used up in ONE DAY in an "incident" in ER. $100,000+ would be more appropriate... and even that might not be enough.

I read in Money magazine, how ppl have MINIMUM liability insurance of $50,000 per person on their vehicles. depending on their financial "exposure" (how much they have to lose in court in an accident) the MINIMUM that a person should carry for LIABILITY PER PERSON in the other vehicle is $100,000 PER PERSON. Yes, it costs a little more, but... $50,000 is not very much $$$$ with increasing hospital bills and "other" liabilities. took defensive driving class here, the instructor stated that ~33% of the ppl in this state do NOT have liability insurance? Uninsured/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST coverage went from being part of liability insurance... to $5 for 6 months... to a LOT MORE NOW... well, not a LOT more, just More... like... $55 for 6 months?

I read MC books and it has stats in there abt helmets... and how MC accidents really started to GO UP ... about the time that cell phones REALLY became common...and the price of gas went UP. I wear white shirt when I ride, extra lights gives most ppl pause when they see the bike as ppl notice things that stand out from the everyday. expect ppl to run stop signs, turn LEFT in front of us, dogs to run in front of us, gravel/leaves/diesel/oil/antifreeze/potholes....

people WILL walk out in front of your vehicle and do not even bother to look before walking out into the street???? (HINT: if people are by the side of the road/vehicle SOUND THE HORN AND WAVE SO THEY NOTICE YOU as they WILL WALK RIGHT OUT IN FRONT OF YOU and act like, "wow, I didn't THINK there were are cars on the road today?" people that don't have any lights on their bicycles, walk at night with BLACK CLOTHES ON and NO lights?

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
what kind of helmet? 1/2, 3/4, FULL? TOP OF THE LINE $$$$ or E bay special? just out of idle curiosity. I wear the half helmet, I putter around town mostly, it is HOT here most of the time. I shd wear more of a helmet, I have full helmet, motocross and street, it would help keep the wind out of my ears and maybe my ears wouldn't ring .... quite so much after I ride around town for a bit? but I couldn't hear the stereo or cars, but I can do w/o the stereo and mirrors adj properly I can see the cars... if I am paying attn.

When I was younger, I wanted a bike, the folks said,"NO!!!! when u get out on ur own u can do whatever u want" in the meanwhile, the ppl that I knew that had bikes .... had ... "problems." woman driving into the sun turned LEFT in front of my guy, he caught his leg between the bike and the bumper of the car... they shortened is leg ~1.5" as the bone was shattered... so they had to go into the other leg and shorten it the same amt so he wouldn't walk in circles. his gf, riding on the back was thrown clear. I don't remember if they had their helmets on, probably not, this is not a "helmet" state

Other guy had a mini bike, 3/4 helmet, dumped the bike going down a hill; he said his sister, who was riding on the back of the bike rode his head down the hill. he had gravel in his cheek ... the rest of his days. yes, it is a person's choice (except in helmet law states), BUT if a person has a traumatic brain injury and is disabled the rest of their days in a nursing home costing the taxpayers ~ $6000 A MONTH for the rest of the person life because they didn't wear a $50-$100 helmet? I can see how the states/gov is mandating helmet laws. $10,000 insurance in FL instead of a helmet? $10,000 can be used up in ONE DAY in an "incident" in ER. $100,000+ would be more appropriate... and even that might not be enough.

I read in Money magazine, how ppl have MINIMUM liability insurance of $50,000 per person on their vehicles. depending on their financial "exposure" (how much they have to lose in court in an accident) the MINIMUM that a person should carry for LIABILITY PER PERSON in the other vehicle is $100,000 PER PERSON. Yes, it costs a little more, but... $50,000 is not very much $$$$ with increasing hospital bills and "other" liabilities. took defensive driving class here, the instructor stated that ~33% of the ppl in this state do NOT have liability insurance? Uninsured/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST coverage went from being part of liability insurance... to $5 for 6 months... to a LOT MORE NOW... well, not a LOT more, just More... like... $55 for 6 months?

I read MC books and it has stats in there abt helmets... and how MC accidents really started to GO UP ... about the time that cell phones REALLY became common...and the price of gas went UP. I wear white shirt when I ride, extra lights gives most ppl pause when they see the bike as ppl notice things that stand out from the everyday. expect ppl to run stop signs, turn LEFT in front of us, dogs to run in front of us, gravel/leaves/diesel/oil/antifreeze/potholes....

people WILL walk out in front of your vehicle and do not even bother to look before walking out into the street???? (HINT: if people are by the side of the road/vehicle SOUND THE HORN AND WAVE SO THEY NOTICE YOU as they WILL WALK RIGHT OUT IN FRONT OF YOU and act like, "wow, I didn't THINK there were are cars on the road today?" people that don't have any lights on their bicycles, walk at night with BLACK CLOTHES ON and NO lights?
We know a helmet increases your survival chance but: lets say the guy without helmet would die and the one with helmet will end up in nursing home costing $6000.00 a month. A guy not riding a bike would say we have to ban all bikes not to end up paying $6000 per month. And ban a bunch of sports, and drinking and smoking and....Its a country where one can make a choice (still). Lets respect that.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
The evidence is clear, and indisputable.... states that suspend helmet laws so a rider can "look cool," suffer an almost immediate increase in rider deaths and hospitalizations. I don't give a rat's fart whether you wear a helmet or not.... if you have children and others dependent upon you, well...that's between you and your conscience. Me....I've had my face in the gravel at 60 mph ..... that was in 2007. I've done a lot of joyful living since then, since getting out of Marquette General Hospital; I'm still vertical and ventilating; I plan to live joyfully, and ride, for at least a decade more..... You'all can do what you want, as long as your conscience will allow it.... Me..... I barely go to the toilet without my full face helmet and motorcycle jacket and pants.....

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
So, after this thoughtful discussion, I wonder how many people have changed their view or their behavior? :)

It is like a good political debate, which changes people's thinking!

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
So, after this thoughtful discussion, I wonder how many people have changed their view or their behavior? :)

It is like a good political debate, which changes people's thinking!
Just think, this is only the first discussion of many for the year on the subject. Each one is sure to have its share of derogatory comments (idiots, fools, stupid, dumb, etc...) about members that choose to ride without a helmet. But not once is a similar comment made towards those that choose to wear a helmet. :?

Yep a real "family atmosphere"...

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
yeah, it is akin to deciding to vote for that woman candidate or the one with a hair piece :)
Or Dumb or Dumber, a country with over 300 M and this is the best we come up with. Somethings wrong but I wont get political here.

·
Administrator
25,036 Posts
Just think, this is only the first discussion of many for the year on the subject. Each one is sure to have its share of derogatory comments (idiots, fools, stupid, dumb, etc...) about members that choose to ride without a helmet. But not once is a similar comment made towards those that choose to wear a helmet. :?

Yep a real "family atmosphere"...
Maybe it's because none of those comments apply to those who choose to wear a helmet. I don't play Russian roulette either.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Incident.....

My first awareness was of spitting into gravel inches from my face, and being rather smug that there wasn’t any blood in it. I pushed myself up to my knees, noticing that one of my gloves was torn and full of blood. I pulled it off, and shook my hand trying to fling the blood away. A few yards from me my wife wept softly, the bones of her left forearm broken and exposed.

“That’s not good,” I said, to no one in particular. “That’s not good at all.”

A young man in a Michigan State Police uniform knelt in front of me.

“Sir, where were you going? Where were you headed today?”

I looked into his face, and started grinning.....I couldn’t help it.

“Damned if I know,” I said. “I know I should know, but I don’t.....what happened?”

He jotted something in a small leather-covered notebook, nodded, and looked back at me.

“Sir, where did you spend last night?”

I kept grinning at him. “You got me there, too...... can you spell concussion? What happened?”

“You hit a deer, sir. Medical help is on the way.... I notice that you have a concealed weapons permit in your wallet. Were you carrying a weapon today, sir?”

“Naw,” I said, chuckling at the officer. “Don’t carry it when we go up to Canada. They get all nervous up at the border, you know.... and we’re going there later. I do have a twelve gauge shotgun, though, half in each saddlebag. Winchester Model 12.....breaks in half real good.....You want me to get it? What happened?”

The officer put his hand on my shoulder. “No. We’ll take care of it. Lie easy now, help is coming.”

“Hey,” I said. “That’s my wife there, she’s hurt bad.....let’s put her in your car and take her to the hospital!”

I started to rise to my feet, but a deep burning ache began in my side, and then it got worse and didn’t go away.

“Ah, Jesus....!” I moaned.

The young officer pushed me down, and his voice was urgent now, more commanding.

“Sir... lie still! You were a collision with a deer, and both you and your wife are seriously injured. Ambulances are coming, you can hear them now. Hear them?”

I looked into his face, and grinned again. I just couldn’t help it.

“East Duluth,” I said triumphantly.

He looked perplexed. “What? What did you just say?”

“East Duluth....that’s where we were last night.... motel.....east Duluth.....got one right, huh? What happened”

He smiled at me, I think, and rested his hand on my shoulder again.

“Good, that’s real good. Be still now, they are just pulling up.”

I sank down on my thighs and ankles again, and looked up at the fair weather clouds racing across the Michigan skies, listening to my wife’s gentle weeping and to the oncoming sirens.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
You are courageous sir, if I(we) were to encounter such an experience and live thru it my riding career would be over. But since I dont wear a helmet my visibility is not impeded by it and the deer alert I have on the bike keeps the deer away.
The last sentence was for entertaining value only. Did I mention that drunk driving also confuses the deer as they dont know where you are exactly headed.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
You are courageous sir, if I(we) were to encounter such an experience and live thru it my riding career would be over. But since I dont wear a helmet my visibility is not impeded by it and the deer alert I have on the bike keeps the deer away.
The last sentence was for entertaining value only. Did I mention that drunk driving also confuses the deer as they dont know where you are exactly headed.
Please don't get me wrong..... I'm not trying to force anyone to wear a helmet.... I know I can't do that, and I wouldn't want to impose my will on anybody when it comes to this sport.....or lifestyle, if you wish. What I'm trying to do is impress upon everyone the fact that both my wife and I should have died in 2007; the doctors, the Michigan Police Officer, the nurse in the car behind us.... all have said we would have died had we not been wearing full face helmets. In the nine years since the accident, we've been to Europe twice (riding the Dolomites in the Italian Alps, the Norwegian fjords!), we've been to Hawaii and rode the Hana Highway and the Haleakala road in the dark (28 miles, 10,000 elevation gain!), we've done the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, we saw our son graduate with an Architecture degree, we saw the same son married on a beach in Hawaii, I earned my National number from the National Ski Patrol (one of the highest honors the patrol can bestow!), I've slept beside my lovely wife in a tent under starry skies for literally hundreds of nights.....I've climbed some mountains, vanquished some enemies, and bounced lovely babies on my knees.... We've done all that in the nine years since our one and only accident in 350,000 touring miles... all that..... And we would have missed all that if we hadn't been wearing our full-face helmets that one afternoon in Michigan..... No, I'm not trying to make anyone wear a helmet, but I'll beg you to.... I will do that.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Going back to helmets; anything is better then nothing for your head protection. If you wrap a towel around your head is better then nothing. Having this stated Id like to ad that IMHO half helmets are mostly good to make one feel that he is doing something to be safe. I think they are great for transporting ones head should he get decapitated.3/4 and full face are heavy and both are noisy. My wife is reluctant to wear one. (however when on the wing both of us wear helmets me 3/4 she full face)
A good helmet is fairly expensive and under normal condition should be changed in 5 years How many of us have helmets older then that 5 years ? Bet you a lot. So even thou you wear a helmet all the time dont think you are as well protected as you should. The point is that we are the judges of how much risk we are willing to take.

81 - 100 of 149 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.