Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Administrator
24,795 Posts
I don't think it applies to anyone... if one needs to resort to names to prove a point, is the point worth proving?
I'm not calling anyone who doesn't wear a helmet stupid or any of the variations, it's just not the wise choice. I can't really say I'm smart but wise I believe I am. I know people who don't wear a helmet and like everyone until they give me reason not to but when I ride with someone without a helmet it's always on my mind and I pray they don't have an accident.

Deer, you will never see the one that gets you coming.

·
Administrator
21,981 Posts
Helmets are evolving, as I type. They are now making them to spin, or some such, to reduce rotational injuries. I really don't fully understand it, but, I don't understand my navel either and I've been contemplating that for decades.

I choose the wear a 3/4 helmet. I might regret that decision as I nose dive into the side of a Buick, but until then that's my choice. Said choice is influenced in no small way by the temps we endure around here in the summer months.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
I have a brand new Neotec, and I can't wear it as it's too tight.

Get a soccer ball, an inflating needle, and a pump..... cram the deflated ball deep in the helmet, stick in the needle and inflate....really inflate the ball...... then pull out the needle and stick the helmet back on the shelf....leave it for three or four days....will probably fit better.....

·
Administrator
21,981 Posts
Get a soccer ball, an inflating needle, and a pump..... cram the deflated ball deep in the helmet, stick in the needle and inflate....really inflate the ball...... then pull out the needle and stick the helmet back on the shelf....leave it for three or four days....will probably fit better.....

Inflate-gate?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Does anyone ever change their mind on this topic?

Let's put it this way. I've never heard of anyone being in a wreck with a helmet on who, as a result of what happened, decided to stop wearing one. Maybe that rider exists, but I haven't heard his story. On the other hand, how many folks have decided it's not such a bad idea to wear one after picking asphalt and gravel out of his noggin? Or to continue to wear one after NOT digging asphalt and gravel out of his noggin?

I think that speaks for itself. You may of course do as you like, and make any tradeoff between safety and comfort that you see fit. But when it comes to having your mind changed, I think that's pretty much a one way street, taught only in the school of hard knocks.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I will just say this: A large percentage of all accidents are caused by fatigue. Motorcycle rider fatigue is even more serious. I would rather avoid an accident than dress for one.

I would rather stay out of a gun fight than wear a bullet proof vest into one.

See, all of the scare stories didn't change my stance.

I just wish that the motorcycle community would stand with CHOICE. No one will ever take your choice to wear one away from you.

Oh, and I do wear one. I wear as much helmet as I can comfortably wear, even in the states that give me that choice. But on a 90 degree day in Montana, I am riding helmet free and dodging the cagers.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Cousin Jack.....good write up and glad to hear you not only both made it through, but have enjoyed so many things since.
It was a pretty convincing note.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Well, I kind of trying a bit more to comply with wearing one. But only if it doesn't make me uncomfortable. My decision was to always wear one on the wing. Then 2 years ago I rode from NJ to FL in late fall. It was very hot. After 2 hrs I said: who am I kidding and removed the darn thing. Probably I have 1% chance to get into motorcycle accident so I wear my helmet 1%of the time lol

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Heat? I think research has shown that the head stays cooler in the helmet, protected from the sun.
Try this test...... sit three feet in front of your wife's hair dryer, set on high for as long as you can. Sit there first without a helmet..... later, put on your helmet and sit there. Which can you stand longer? Which do you prefer?

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
When its really hot out = 80+F, I go for the full face to keep that searing wind blast effect to a minimum.
Its not so bad on the Wing with the giant wind buffer, will perform testing this summer :)

I do notice a mesh jacket works better when zipped up! Forces air thru the vent holes vs blowing quickly thru the open front. Some weird science at work~

·
Administrator
58,153 Posts
In Phoenix working at the Fire Department, our 911 IT staff was at the headquarters on 11th St and Jefferson, you could throw a baseball at the ball stadium :rofl:

The temps in the summer were typically 110° plus for many weeks in a row.
I would suit up with my ATGATT minus helmet, walk into the shower and turn it on... wet everything down, T-shirt and all.

gave me air conditioned comfort for almost 30 minutes.... by that time, I was pulling into my garage and putting the bike away. Close the garage door and go take a shower.

·
Administrator
24,795 Posts
Heat? I think research has shown that the head stays cooler in the helmet, protected from the sun.
True, in heat above your body temp is is cooler to cover yourself completely to keep the sun off. A few years ago riding across Oklahoma in 113º heat I even closed the windshield vent and zipped my mesh jacket all the way up. The furnace hot wind felt like it was stripping the skin off me.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.