Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having fallen victim to crazy weather on cross-country tours, I've often wanted to develop an app that I could program my route into (as one normally would), then see what the weather would be like at each point on my route, at the estimated time I'd be at that point.

Motorcycle Weather is a good Android app for showing whether you want to ride on a given day, but only across that entire day, or "right here, right now".

Windy.com is a great app I started using in Nebraska because Nebraska is so, um, windy. And now, they've developed a feature that lets you plot a route by car, boat or plane and see what the elevation, wind, weather, and other meteorological conditions will be along it. Check it out at:

https://community.windy.com/topic/9596/ ... te-planner

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could have used it on every tour in the past several years - planning a route in the morning to cross several states, with a weather front coming through, is hard to do. This might help figure out which route will "thread the needle".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would definitely use the app you are describing. I rode locally today for a couple hours and the Wing was claiming it was 100 degrees. I don't know how accurate the temp reading on the bike is but it was hot as hades and I might have stayed home had I known I'd be riding in hundred degree temps. Had I been on a cross country trip it would be important to know what weather I could expect to encounter. We would want the app to calculate the weather based upon approximate arrival time. I would definitely invest some coin in an app that was reasonably accurate (as much as any weather forecaster would be)

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's free. You approximate your route over the map, and it fills in the approximate travel time. Then you can slide the whole thing left to right to set it on your expected departure time, and check the wind speeds, temperatures, and precipitation you'll encounter throughout your ride. I haven't tested it yet to see how accurate the travel times are, but I suspect the more waypoints you toss in the better.

I might test it out tomorrow on an 8-hour ride, with 3-4 thousand feet of elevation thrown in.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
Play store is full of similar sounding names.

when you post about something like this, you need to provide the exact link to the app you are talking about...
so which of these is the correct one, if it is shown here?

cellphones have limited real estate, is there a PC version?

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Play store is full of similar sounding names.

when you post about something like this, you need to provide the exact link to the app you are talking about...
so which of these is the correct one, if it is shown here?

cellphones have limited real estate, is there a PC version?
Here you go:

1. Go back to the original post where I referred to Windy.com.

2. In your browser, on your device of choice, visit Windy.com. That is also your "PC" version.

3. Click the hamburger menu, and at the bottom you will find links to the proper apps in Google Play and the Apple Store.

4. This is a link explaining "hamburger menu": hamburger menu - Google Search

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Covered 230 miles today, over the course of 5 hours and 20 minutes, and climbed from 500 feet up to 4000 feet several times.

I took the forecast in the morning, which indicated clear skies throughout the day, so easy to forecast, and the temperature was within 2 degrees of the forecast each time I checked throughout the day, and it usually fluctuates at least ten degrees between the lowlands and the mountaintops.

70 early in the day, 75 at the base of the mountains, 73 halfway up, 70 again along the BRP dropping to about 65 in the heavily shaded parts, then a slow climb up to just above 80 on the way home across the lowlands.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
okay,
tried the PC version and it does not quite compute the actual road miles, but it is "close enough".
gave me 140 miles vs 148 actual miles for Eureka Springs to Oologah.

Bookmarked it, can be useful for trips where the weather looks "iffy"

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed, it's not computing an actual route, only approximating time to travel. But, I had a super twisty route yesterday and it somehow figured it out within minutes over a 5 hour span.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts