Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I checked the weather, heavy rain and T storms forecast for everyplace I thought I might want to go. Was nice here though and I wanted some things from Spring Field MO.

Left house 3:30AM
Well, being THAT EARLY, no reason to ride to Spring Field, I would just have to sit and wait for hours for the store to open.

Breakfast in Branson! My favorite all you can eat breakfast!

Weather be dammeded!
Was supposed to be raining in West Plains according to the Hour By Hour forecast. NOPE dry when I got there.
Gainsville, nope no rain there either, though forecast said there would be.

I did get some rain somewhere for about 50 miles or so, but not enough I even bothered with the rain suit, 1500 kept me mostly dry though windshield and visor was getting allot.
By the time I got to Branson the rain seemed to be gone though roads were wet.
Got a fair bit after Breakfast heading into Springfield but again never bothered with rain suit.
Got to the leather shop, while shopping 1500 got soaked.
Was just misty rain when I left and headed home.
A bit of mild rain here and there, nothing to bother with.

SO, right about 400 miles on the clock today, 90% of it weather forecast said I would be hitting hard rain and T-storms. Where were they? I never saw them! I almost did not ride today, but I figured if I hit anything bad I'd ride through it or turn around and come home.

Was all a great ride, what rain I got was not bad, rather warm out and I dressed for cold so half the day I was a bit warmer than I should have been.

Moral of the story, want to ride around here forget the weather forecast and just go ride. To think I ALMOST stayed home this morning because of nasty weather forecast!
Will I ever learn???

I heard on radio today while riding, forecast for tomorrow someplace is severe T-storms and heavy hail. I think I will ride there! Should be a nice dry safe ride LOL

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

Ain't that a fact, they never seem to get it right. Mostly the weather is worse than expected unless I put off a ride because of the forecast.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Try running a business that is partially based on weather....... We can work in the rain, but not lightening. Last year we canceled 38 jobs due to said lightening. I didn't track it, but I would say that 2/3 the time, it didn't happen. This year, we have canceled No jobs and never had a problem.

I have always tried to plan ahead at least a week, but it seems the last few years forecasters cant seem to get it right just 3 days out.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Chromo, How did your Taxi tire do in the rain?

Dubs

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Taxi Tire was doing fine in the rain. I was running kinda slow on the way to Branson on the twisties because I had time to kill. Some fairly good sharp curves in there and tire held great and solid.

Running the slab tire does great in the rain at highway speeds. I was in some medium rain and light rain, she stuck like glue.
I have ran the slabs in really hard rain on that trip leaving Front Royal. Interstate in the mountains in pouring rain, the cold and visibility where a concern, never the tire though. When safe to do so, I was mostly the fastest running vehicle on the road in that storm. I was running the speed limits most the time unless traffic or visibility was bad.

I did notice yesterday how smooth and straight the tire tracks on grooved pavement also. I was running about 65mph and rain and I got a spot where the concrete had those long groves cut into to the road for a good ways. Thought AHH crappy, bikes normally wiggle and wobble around on those grooves, I hate them. Well I would have never known they were there had I not been looking at the grooves! Taxi Tire ran through them smooth and straight as could be. I never had a bike tire do that well on grooves like those.

I am running about 48psi in mine.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I was following a HD on the highway yesterday, we were doing about 80 to 85. I was watching his rear end moved rather violently from side to side a few inches. I didn't want to follow him in case he dumped it. As I sped up to pass, I noticed he had a car tire on, and it was very low on air Causing a lot of side wall give. By the looks of the bike and driver however, I figured he kept it low for those off road ventures........ But if he kept driving like that he was going to be off the road in no time.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Back so many years ago I don't really want to think about it, our channel 11, that's in Houston now, used to broadcast from Galveston at the seawall...Now that's all fine but it has a bearing on weathermen....

The weatherman at channel 11 was a man named Sid Lasher. His forecast were pretty much "right on"...This was back in the early 50's....He wrote a book about his weather forecasting, that was back when you made phone calls to other cities or got teletypes...In the fore word he wrote that there were only two types of people that would forecast Texas weather...A Yankee or a Fool.... :ROFL:....

Years later we got Dr. Neil Frank......Now if the Dr. Neil said its going to rain, get ready for a toad choker....In all of the years he was our weatherman, there were so few times he was wrong....His replacement Gene Norman has been wrong too many times to count....I have gotten to the point if Gene says its going to rain, I do what ever I was going to do....Gene Norman missed the indications of the "Storm Surge" heights, on Hurricane Ike, Dr.Neil said they were going to be bad Gene blew it off....The rest is History....

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

When I use to ride everyday, I never did watch the weather. If there wasn't ice and snow on the street, I was riding

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.