Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here able to tell me what the current weather conditions are just out of Palm Springs............I.E. the Jancinto/Idyllwild area. Anybody ride in this area in Jan. or is it high enough to have snow, ice, etc.?

I ask 'cause I am going to be in Palm Springs and was considering renting a bike to ride up there. I have driven it before but in April............

Cheers!

T.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Anybody here able to tell me what the current weather conditions are just out of Palm Springs............I.E. the Jancinto/Idyllwild area. Anybody ride in this area in Jan. or is it high enough to have snow, ice, etc.?

I ask 'cause I am going to be in Palm Springs and was considering renting a bike to ride up there. I have driven it before but in April............

Cheers!

T.
Current weather: http://www.weatherstreet.com/weather-forecast/Idyllwild-CA-92549.htm

Idyllwild regularly get's snow in the winter, as it's about 5,500 ft elevation as I recall. Beautiful road/s in the area, so I'd say that If the weather report is Good, then go for it.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
You are in for fun!

Just hit 74 across to Hemet and back, up to Idyllwild if the weather allows. When are you here?

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Palm Springs....

Keep a close eye on the weather there. It can EXTREMELY WINDY and is quite chilly at night. Bring clothes for Windy/Sunny weather and temps from 70 down to freezing...

But agreed, great riding.....;)

Rick

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts

Cheers!

T.
Lived in ldylwild for a time. The totem pole in the middle of town I worked on it with Jonathen LaBenn. Had a Yamaha 550 the and I wouldn't ride in this time of year. You drive usually on about a foot of snow. There were only a few days I would push out but the weather on top changes in fifteen minutes or so and you could be in trouble. If you stay in the vally and come through the pass you can get to Sanjacinto Hemet area and is actually a nice ride. Main St. Hemet if you stay on it will take you into a long stretch of rollercoaster type highway lots of fun at 90 plus. Be careful! I'd stay off the Mtn, but you could go untill it gets bad and turn around, could get lucky and slip on in and out. Nights get cold so watch the temp close so you don't get stuck. Lots of very cold spots on the mtn were it gets no sun.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I live North of Palm Springs. I would not plan on going to Idyllwild in Jan or Feb. There is snow up there and 74 and 243 are mountain roads that have shady spots that do not get much sun. They spread cinders on the road for traction. I just stay away from there and Big Bear over the winter.

Take a look at a loop from Palm Springs on Hwy 62 to Joshua Tree, go through Joshua Tree National Park, down through Cottonwood, then take Interstate 10 back to Palm Springs. You could take Dylan road in the Indio area so you do not have to be on the slab that much. Indian Canyon will take you back into Palm Springs from Dylan road. We have warmed up and are in the low 60’s in the Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree area. It is in the 70’s in Palm Springs.
Enjoy your trip!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
T
Did you go??? You didn't say when you were going.
I just rode today from San Jancinto(74 deg) up past Idyllwild(55 deg) on the 74 east bound and right on 371 through Anza. There was snow on the north sloped hill sides along the road above 4000' highest point was just east of Idyllwild at just shy of 5,000'. Not bad in a t-shirt under my leather jacket and vented leather gloves, but I'm from NH not SoCal, I did close the air wings though for a while. Continued S on the 79 to San Isabelle to 78W back to Oceanside. @ 250 miles today from 10:30am-5pm with a stop in San Jancinto to have a look at my old 83A that the pastor is wanting to sell to get a fishing boat as he hasn't been riding it much since he got it, @ 1,000 miles in 3 years.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Stu!

Nah, didn't go.......riding that is. Did spend a week in the Palm Springs area though and had a solid day of heavy rain and some freezing temperatures in the desert overnight(s). Apparently they had snow up in the San Jacintos, school cancelled, roads closed, etc. Soooooo.......decided not to spend the money on a rental bike.

Did get up to Joshua Tree National Park though and had to bundle up just like we would have at home here in Canada. Got home to discover that all these low temperatures had frozen out all that produce they grow near Palm Springs and that we import to this area............was there and I believe it!

Glad you had a good time and I WILL be returning to the area to do that ride!

Cheers!

T.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes that was the snow remains I saw today(from last weekend)

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suspect that you had a GREAT ride. Did the trip in a car last year and part way this year and did really enjoy it.

Cheers!

T.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.