Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

We've been looking forward to our 10-day tour of New England since last fall. I got the Gazeteers for all the states, and e-mailed for all the Visitors Guides with cool places to see and things to check out. The Wife and I are going with friends from Pgh.on their C14 - they are coming out Thursday afternoon.

Well, we leave Friday morning - and it's supposed to rain for full week up there.

Soooooo . . . . . . We're thinking of jumping on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and cruising down toward the Smokey Mountains.

Never been tourin' in that direction before. Any ideas of cool sights, cheap sleepin' or else ??

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

The Blue Ridge Parkway is one wonderful ride. Motels are cheap in Fancy Gap. There is a biker lodge in Little Switzerland. I would start on Skyline Drive which is 105 miles and it runs right into the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots of pulloffs with beautiful scenery. You will absolutely not regret this trip. At the end of the parkway is rte 441. go right up over the Smokies or left into the Cherokee nation. Blue ridge Parkway is 474 miles. 45 mph speed limit. lots of twisties. Much prettier once you get into North Carolina with many elevated views and tunnels. enjoy!!!!!!:action:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, if you decide to come all the way down to Cherokee then here's a neat biker's campground 5 minutes off the Parkway.

Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I think you made a wise choice. And I'm sure you won't regret it either. I only did the Sky Line Drive and it was great. I can only imagine what the rest of the BRP is like. Maybe next year.

Watch out for the critters,,,,,,, they don't seem to be very skiddish of folks and vehicals. They just step out and stand there.

Have a super good trip and don't forget the pics:waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Golly, everyone changing plans just because of a little rain.:dude:

Sorry you couldn't do your original plan, but going south sounds great too. Ride safe. Please I've never been therepost some pictures.:action:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

You made the right choice--weather stinks here.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Natural Bridge Va. is also a nice place just off the BRP. Can't think of the name but there is also a little town just off the BRP with a train museum.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Just got back last night.

You guys were right. Got on the Parkway at the top, and rode the wholething. Stopped at the D-Day Memorial, Monticello, and rode the Dragon. Great 10-day shot. :):):):)

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Way ta go:clapper:Glad to hear all went well. How was the weather for you? I hope to do the whole BRP someday. I did the Skyline drive a few weeks ago and loved it.

And I shared pics,,,,,,,,,:cool::cool::D

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Glad you enjoyed America's Highway!

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
. . . . . and I shared pics,,,,,,,,,:cool::cool::D
Alright, ya old mule-skinner - gotta take care of me neighbors :)[clickys]

a shared cabin along the Parkway

Tom's place (Monticello)

Tom and I

Parkway

D-Day Memorial

Parkway

Dragon - NC

Mabry Mill - Parkway

Little highway rip

Highland House - VA

Curious Cowz - south of Deep Creek MD

B&B - W VA

Parkway

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Never skinned a mule, lots of deer, but no mules.:cooldevil: Some nice shots, the Memorial looks pretty cool. And it looked like you had great weather too.

BTW,,,,,,,, are going to Montrose???

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I'd love to, but I'm going to have a vacation time shortage. I'd need 2 weeks to do that trip "right". (no interstates)

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Two weeks is right,,,,,,, at least for me it works. But I do the interstates till half way through Kansas. My goal is to do 500 or better miles a day so when I get out there I can take my time and do a more relaxed 250 or so miles/day. I-70 was not a bad route when I went out last year ( it was my first time). I came back via I-90 and that wasn't as pleasant.

13& 1/4 days I did 5,683 miles. About 400 of those miles were from playing around in the Mount Rushmore area for a day and a half.

If you could fit it in,,,,,,, you WON'T regret it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.