Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , I just bought a 2012 Wing and was really looking forward to using the weather radar feature but it seems that it will only show the radar while sitting still. What good is that?!

At one time, when I first tried it out, it at least kept the image in a picture-in-picture at the lower left of the nav screen, but now it won't do that anymore.

Anyone know how to get the most out of the weather radar while in motion??

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Doesn't that big antenna cause problems on windy days?:rolleyes:
Sorry, just couldn't resist the mental picture of a Goldwing with a big radar sail on top.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Welcome:waving:reachoutwfwf

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Some other lucky person who has a 2012 should be along to share their experience.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I have XM on my 2009 too and I have seen that weather icon down in the lower left of the screen when XM was running a promo...

But due to the fact that you can' t use it while riding (or the GPS) I use a Garmin Zumo 665 and have XM Nav Weather and XM Traffic on that... The weather radar is great and has saved us from getting wet on more than one occasion... I highly recommend it but sure wouldn't opt for it if I had to stop to use it... There is a mod on this forum to enable GPS use while riding, you may want to check that out as it may work for the XM Nav Weather as well...

Here's a photo of my 665 weather screen below

Les

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello , I just bought a 2012 Wing and was really looking forward to using the weather radar feature but it seems that it will only show the radar while sitting still. What good is that?!

At one time, when I first tried it out, it at least kept the image in a picture-in-picture at the lower left of the nav screen, but now it won't do that anymore.

Anyone know how to get the most out of the weather radar while in motion??
The weather and traffic is a nice feature on the 2012. To use it while in motion, you need to hold in on the zoom button for a couple of seconds not just push it in. Traffic will come up first unless you have been prompted with a weather alert. Hold the zoom button over for a couple of seconds to toggle screens.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Call me old school, but on my '97, if I want to check the weather, I look ahead, if I see rain, I guess it's time to suit up, and if I see traffic ahead, I slow down to their pace. As far as the GPS is concerned, isn't the reason for riding a bike to go out and get lost, to go places you've never been to before? Back roading in unfamiliar areas is the key to learning the area.

Okay, this was a rant as I do not have a new bike in my future... yet :confused:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
A new guy joins to ask a question and another new guy joins to answer. :thumbsup:

Welcome to both of you.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
The weather and traffic is a nice feature on the 2012. To use it while in motion, you need to hold in on the zoom button for a couple of seconds not just push it in. Traffic will come up first unless you have been prompted with a weather alert. Hold the zoom button over for a couple of seconds to toggle screens.

That is how mine works. :wink:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks! I accidentally learned about the traffic feature by pressing in on the zoom button for about 3 seconds, but are you saying to push in for 3 seconds AND then toggle to the left to get the radar as well???

Anyway, I'm going outside to give it all a try. I went on a ride this weekend without my 'puter and didn't get a chance to read this until just now.

I hope to get pics of my bike up soon. I painted all the black parts silver and loaded it up with goodies. Really getting the looks.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, mine does. I have the 2.5 firmware in my gps unit.
Mine should be as updated as can be as I just got it a month ago. How did you learn how to do this? Did I miss it in the manual?

I just wish entering addresses was easier, and I wish you could do more things on the fly, like cancelling a nav destination, turning on the navigation while driving because 9/10 times, I drive off, realize I forgot to turn on my navigation system, CB back to all my friends and tell them I have to pull over (in dangerous traffic sometimes) and have to turn it on. IMO it is MORE dangerous to have to do this than just make it available on 'the fly' to turn on. I've been driving a navigation Goldwing since 2006 and this is ridiculous to have to remember to turn it on before driving off.

After a stopover and turning on the switch, you have to wait nearly 10 seconds for the "ceremony" to finish, then wait for the option to turn on the navigation, then make any adjustments, etc, etc......by then, my co-riders are already down the road a half-mile. :X

It should default back to what you were viewing before shutting off the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found it by accident as far as opening the traffic screen and researched it in the manual and found all the instructions and learned how to scroll. I agree with you on how the system (GPS) is locked when on the fly. BTW page 80 of the GPS manual has the info.

·
650 Posts
thats how it works on my 2012 you hold in on the zoom untill the weather maps appears then toggle back and forth you can also zoom in or out for better pin point area of rain or snow or wind and by the way its a extra $10-$13 with the xm supscription per 3 months

·
650 Posts
remember theres also a weather band on your bike (2012)if you have navigation like i do you hold the am button to switch to the weather band then push agian to switch back to the am channels handy feature for up to date weather

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.