Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
all you have to do is push in on the zoom button at any time to change the display to weather map and the same to switch back to map. you can also push volume button to switch back to map

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks didn't know about the weather channel . Using the AM button. Was looking for a way to change cities on the weather screen. Looked in Manuel but all ways goes back to Asheville. Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Welcome to Kyote and MCShepard!

IMHO anyone who doesn't understand the value of up to date wx radar info probably has never experienced the convenience of using it. AND, in my book, riding into a rainstorm that I could have avoided is a heckofa long ways down my list of wanna-doos.

I'm unwilling to pay for XM wx or a Zumo that will display it, but my iPhone does a pretty decent job of giving me radar info when traveling. Not ideal, but decent. Some info is better than none.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,880 Posts
To get a really good appreciation of the need to "get a weather report", you need to fly an airplane.

Nothing like having it go zero zero and you need to find a place to park it.

I remember the wife and I returning home to Dumas, TX from Oklahoma City. Visited there with my parents and did a bit of Air Force Reserve training at Tinker AFB back in about '76 or '77.

Anyway, wx was good leaving OKC, but about the time we passed Elk City things changed for the worse. I flew around one rain squall and thought we had made it through the worst of it.

Then it just turned black and straight down was all we had to see.
I had been watching real close and knew there was a dirt road back about a mile and did a 180 and set the plane down to wait it out.

About 5 minutes later a farmer drives up and asks if we are okay.
I said 'yup, just waiting for the rain squalls to pass and then we would go home, only about an hour to get there"

He said, ain't gonna happen boy, you just drive that thing up into my yard and tie it down. You are staying here for the night.

We had a great visit, and a wonderful hot breakfast of ham, eggs and pancakes.
Made some great friends there, went by to see them a few years later and they remembered us.

Oh, I owned a Piper Tri-Pacer back then, tough ole bird. Wish I still had it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
To get a really good appreciation of the need to "get a weather report", you need to fly an airplane.

Nothing like having it go zero zero and you need to find a place to park it.

I remember the wife and I returning home to Dumas, TX from Oklahoma City. Visited there with my parents and did a bit of Air Force Reserve training at Tinker AFB back in about '76 or '77.

Anyway, wx was good leaving OKC, but about the time we passed Elk City things changed for the worse. I flew around one rain squall and thought we had made it through the worst of it.

Then it just turned black and straight down was all we had to see.
I had been watching real close and knew there was a dirt road back about a mile and did a 180 and set the plane down to wait it out.

About 5 minutes later a farmer drives up and asks if we are okay.
I said 'yup, just waiting for the rain squalls to pass and then we would go home, only about an hour to get there"

He said, ain't gonna happen boy, you just drive that thing up into my yard and tie it down. You are staying here for the night.

We had a great visit, and a wonderful hot breakfast of ham, eggs and pancakes.
Made some great friends there, went by to see them a few years later and they remembered us.

Oh, I owned a Piper Tri-Pacer back then, tough ole bird. Wish I still had it.
Now if you'd taken that training wheel off the nose of that Tri-Pacer you'd really have an under appreciated, tough old bird. I had three PA-20 Pacers over the early years and found them to be real money makers. Lots of bang for the buck. Seems a lot of people were afraid of them being short coupled tail draggers. Add the short wings in to the equation and the fine little aircraft undeservedly got a bad name. The good side of it was it made Pacers inexpensive. Just the thing for a shoe string air taxi. Take out the back seat and you had a flying pick up as you know from your Tri-Pacer.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,880 Posts
Would like to find one Paul, cheap enough I could afford it now.
I have enough room to take off right here on my own property.

But, most likely, if I did have one now, I would do just like I did back in Dumas, TX.
Taxi it thru the cattle guard and out onto the road and head "up there young man".

Would have to be very careful though on landing.... there is a power line on my fence line adjacent to the road....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
That's one thing I miss after leaving Alaska. If you drive up the Alcan once you pass Northway or Tok you'll see houses alongside the road with a Super Cub or C180 parked by the house. No runway. It's legal in Alaska to use State Highways for landing and take offs as long as you don't impede traffic. I keep thinking about an ultralight to play with. Lots of fun to fly and cheap to operate.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For the little weather picture to come up on the left lower area of the screen, there needs to be a weather alert of rain or severe weather in the area. After you ride away from it, it will go away. Otherwise, you access the map like the others have posted. That is how mine has been working.

A trick I do to get to the GPS screen quicker is to just turn the ignition switch on to ACC. I then put on my helmet and gloves. By the time I am done with that, the screen is at the point of pushing the GPS button. Then I just move the key to the start positon , fire the bike up and drive away.

I agree, I wish it was easier to put in address and to do things on the fly. That is what happens when Honda Lawyers get involved!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Pushing buttons or programming on the fly is wickedly stupid. Driver/ Rider distractions are becoming # 1 problem in crashes. You still hear people speak
of how texting causes crashes........ cell phone use,just talking on the cell causes more. If I were to witness some body doing this we would have a little chat. I value my life more than you value your electronics.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
When I was subscribed with my 2010 it showed on the gps screen. It helped a lot while traveling. I was able to go around storms if there was an alternate route or just be ready for it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.