Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The combustion chambers of the original Daily Rider cylinder heads.

The right head is pictured below.

The bike had 75K miles on it when I got it. Every system on it was a mess.

I had developed my conversion with these chambers for the first 30K+ miles.

Those chambers have seen more than a dozen conversions run through them, with many different carburetors up to include the Motorcraft 740.

Those chambers went from however they looked when I got the bike to over 30K miles of my experimenting. That cylinder head below is from the daily rider in all kinds of performance conditions so I could get it right as I went along.

Anybody do anything comparable?
A long-term combustion chamber roof analysis.

The pictures below were taken after a short brushing with brass and nylon brushes.
I spent no time removing any build-up other than what remained from using a bad air filter.

I assume any visual of a rich condition represented is from the single carb stuff.
It was certainly running rich for a while from what I see. There're various areas that were seeing more of their share than others and build-up is evident.

Overall, I was happy to see what I saw when first seen...

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These are the same but brighter.

Anyone run their connversion for a extended period and then pull the heads afterward?
If so, what did your chamber look like?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
i kinda doubt anyone else has done a 30K+ miles "long-term combustion chamber roof analysis.", but never know,

heads look good, but other than the obvious, the point is?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An analysis of the combustion chamber is the point.
"heads look good" is what I hear from you, so "Thanks!" for the observation.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
i kinda doubt anyone else has done a 30K+ miles "long-term combustion chamber roof analysis.", but never know,

heads look good, but other than the obvious, the point is?
An analysis of the combustion chamber is the point.
"heads look good" is what I hear from you, so "Thanks!" for the observation.
That is what is commonly referred to as selective listening.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what is commonly referred to as selective listening.
I'm interested in selective seeing.

May be another will stumble along this post and know what they're looking at more than you or I.
I know what I'm looking at, but I only know what I know of it from my perspective.
...glazing from being rich.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
The combustion chambers of the original Daily Rider cylinder heads.

The right head is pictured below.

The bike had 75K miles on it when I got it. Every system on it was a mess.

I had developed my conversion with these chambers for the first 30K+ miles.

Those chambers have seen more than a dozen conversions run through them, with many different carburetors up to include the Motorcraft 740.
any details on the conversions? every system was a mess?

·
Administrator
57,487 Posts
Steve has some issues going on at the moment that have his full attention, he will get back with us as soon as those are resolved...

So, for now, be patient for some replies. He is not ignoring anyone, just cannot devote any time to the forum.

Thanks,
John

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks John. Very busy lately.

Yes, I do have some more contribution here that may add to the reasoning for the condition of those chambers.

I haven't had much time lately to think of how exactly to add it into here, but these sparkplugs below tell a tale of the condition we see above.
Each set contributed in their own particular way, four at a time with whatever conversion I was running.

I've catalogued each set with meticulous notes that include conversion specifics. Alot of that early was just rich no matter what I did..

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.