Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

weep hole leaking oil

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  exavid 
#1 ·
imported post

hello everybody,

i have oil coming out of the waterpump weephole.

i know it means i need to install new o-ring seals.

could this be a scource of a very small amount of

oil in my coolant? there is no coolant contamination

in my oil. any info would be most appreciated.

#2 ·
imported post

goldwing84 wrote:
i have oil coming out of the waterpump weephole. could this be a scource of a very small amount of oil in my coolant?
Oil showing up at the weep hole pretty surely means you do need new seals. If you are seeing oil in the coolant it's more likely the water pump main seal is leaking. The only way to correct that is to replace the water pump assembly. You could try replacing the O-rings, flushing the coolant out and watching for more oil to show up in the coolant. If it doesn't show, you're home cheap, if it does show up you're out the price of the O-rings and need to replace the pump.

#3 ·
imported post

Goldwing84,

There have been many threads about this topic. Do a search on the subject and you will find a plethora of information. Last summer I had the same problem and would be glad to help you out with any detailed questions as I went thru mine three times before fixing the problem. Exavid is correct in the diagnosis, try the o-rings before jumping directly into pump replacement - chances are you do not need a new pump.;)

Take care

J Michael Wolfe
North Royalton, OH
1981 Honda GL1100
1987 BMW K75T
1973 Yamaha CT3

#5 ·
imported post

My 83 Aspencade was leaking oil from the weep hole when I bought it. A seal kit from the dealer was only $17.00 and fixed the problem. I did not replace the pump. A new pump will run about $100-$120 depending on where you get it (at least for my bike).

Bob :11grey:

#6 ·
imported post

hello everybody,

i checked the waterpump, it is a goner. the bearings are actually falling

out of it. well any way, new o-ring seals and a pump is in the works.

by the way if you do not want to pay the dealer price for o-rings, go to

harbor freight and get a digital micrometer. just measure the outside

diameter of the ring then the thickness. if the outside is 17mm and

the thickness is 2.9 you need a 17-2.9 o-ring. just call napa or a

pump and transmission builder and ask if they have it.

a knowledgeable parts guy told me of this. anyway i would like to thank all of

you for your help. this is the best forum on the net.

#7 ·
imported post

Usually NAPA or a good hardware store will have a good assortment of O-rings and you can find many you need except the large diameter thin ones are harder to come by.

#8 ·
imported post

I noticed some of these weep hole discussions were for 1100 and 1500, just so I understand correctly. I have an 87 1200, bought it last week, rode it home about 15 miles and parked it in my garage for a few days did not notice any oil on the floor. I then rode it about 150 miles, the temp gauge never indicated overheating. I parked it a few days and then noticed a puddle of oil under it. After investigating I noticed OIL not Coolant coming from the weep hole on the front cover under the water pump. As I read your comments it sounds as if the water pump is bad causing the oil to leak. I assume the water pump and the o-ring can be replaced with the engine in frame and removal of the front cover is not needed. Thanks Bob

#9 ·
imported post

If it's leaking oil and there's no sign of oil contamination in the coolant, likewise no sign of coolant in the oil, it's most likely the pump is okay but that you need a waterpump seal set. If the pump impeller turns okay and doesn't feel like sloppy bearings you're in luck.

#10 ·
imported post

Welcome to the forum bv2295! :waving:

Like exavidsaid, you probably only need new seals. I believe the engine can be left in the frame. The job wasn't very difficult or take too long. I spent more time cleaning up the mating surfaces than anything else! Lube the new seal with some antifreeze when you slide the pump back in. Be careful not to over torque the bolts when reassembling. I broke one of mine (miss read the torque setting) and had to take the cover off again to get the stud out.

Bob :11grey:

#12 ·
imported post

I just replaced my waterpump last Thurday along with my timming belts. I had the seal kit but when I pulled the waterpump out the shaft was shot, bought a new one from a local mechanic that works an wings all the time. Price just jumped to 137.00 but he sold it to me for 130.00. He gave me a few tips also, make sure you use the washers on the 3 bolts holding the pump, and make sure to replace the oils seal that the pump shaft goes into. I put the pump back in and buttoned everything back together and when I put coolant into the radiator, I got a leak out the weephole. I pulled it back out and found that I pinched the O ring around the pump, so I took the old O ring off the old pump and put it back on the new pump and was real careful installing the pump this time. The I tested it with water and everything held. Note: don't put oil back in the engine until you know the pump is not leaking. I was glad I didn't do it!

#13 ·
imported post

It's a good practice to lube O-rings when assembling parts, it reduces the chances of pinching.

#15 ·
imported post

tpwood wrote:
exavid wrote:
It's a good practice to lube O-rings when assembling parts, it reduces the chances of pinching.
I did lube them good, but the waterpump was a tight fit and I just wiggled it in wrong!
Yeah that happens too, had the same thing reassembling a hudraulic jack a couple months ago. Looked good until the jack had a load on it and started spewing oil all over the floor. Nicked a seal ring.

#16 ·
imported post

I finally had the time for the oil leak repair. It was the seal at the water pump shaft. I bought a water pump and seals. The parts guy didn't realize there was a seal kit that included the paper gaskets and additional O-rings for the cases to meet. I went through 4 different dealers before I found one who knew about the kit.( If it hadn't been for this forum I wouldn't have known and ordered piece by piece.) I parked it Sunday after a 150 mile ride and no oil. Thanks Guys Bob

#17 ·
imported post

What does oil in the coolant look like? I have a substance in my external tank which looks like chocolate milk and floats to the top. Another Goldwinger told me that it look like stop leak to him. I don't know what that looks like either. My motor (85) is not using oil, smokes or overheats. The oil looks fine.

#18 ·
imported post

Oil in the coolant looks like chocolate milk floating on top of the antifreeze. Try cleaning out your expansion bottle and see if it comes back. If it does the next thing to do is to drain your coolant and see if it's contaminated. If you find more oil it's time to think about a new water pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.