Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Strictly coolant leeking from the weeping hole of my 75 GL1000no oil and I dont see any coolant in the oil. Just replaced all o rings and gasket and in doing so water pump seemed to be in good shape no play in any direction. I was careful to lube pump o ring when i installed it and took care pushing in place. Could this leak be that o ring or possibly the mechanical seal ?

If mechanical seal can i replace that with out removing the entire front cover ?

Thoughts ?

Bike seems to be running pretty well ran a little hot due to low coolant level but i think this leak is not helping either.

PS does not leak sitting overnite only when running ?

if not o rings or seal is this a bad water pump ?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I believe it is the mechanical seal, though I am not sure what the procedure is for replacing it on a Goldwing. Don't plug it up, you'll just force that coolant in the oil.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

May be worn pump bearing or seal. If not leaking much, I would just ignore it.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Pulled cover and pump looked fine as well as o rings ? No matter new pump on the way.

However did notice pitting in the water pump housing ?

Also what are the chances the o ring for the water pump I received with my gasket kit is the wrong thickness ?

Dug up a spre cover cleaned it up just waiting on parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

The O-ring sizes for the water pump are (37X2.4)and(56X2.4).
The pitting is a non-issue.
Wiggling the waterpump shaft can tell you how the bearings are holding up but doesn't tell anything about the seal.
New waterpumps have metal blades so if your old one has plastic impellor blades it's probably original. I hope you went with an OEM Honda waterpump. More expensive but they hold up.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I did go with a new oem pump. Kinda surprised it did not come with a new o ring. I was told the only way to get a new o ring was to buy a complete seal kit.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Installed newoem pump today, while I was at it Cleaned radiator and installed new thermostat.

Tookher out for a ride this evening and noticed the temp gauge was running toward the high end of the gauge, now she was runnin pretty hot before I replaced the pump but figured the leakand low coolant was part of my problem.

Gonna let the bike cool down and check the coolant but any suggestions as to what elseI may want to investigae ?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

There is an oil/water seal thats behind the fuel pump that is in the engine block. If this is worn a little, it will cause the weep. I put 3 water pumps on my gl1100 until I found this to be the problem. It only weeped while running. At a Honda shop, its not listed on the water pump page, but the oil seals page. I had to remove mine and take it to the Honda shop and show it to them before they could find it. You can pull it out with a scredriver. Very inexpensiue, but it solved my headaches and weep problem. Hope this helps. David

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

IIRC: (its been years) The waterpump has two sealed bearings. If oil is coming out the weep hole its because its coming through the rear bearing. If coolant is coming out the weep hole its because coolant is coming through the front bearing.

This can happen with or without any excessive play in the pump shaft.

Bill

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Actually that seal came in the kit I bought with all the gaskets and o-rings I needed when I replaced the pump. Good catch though. Turns out it looks like the mechanical seal was bad. My fault actually.

What Beleived happened was when I origanally had the front cover apart (due to another issue) I had the water pump out and being a rookie at it I thought the impeller was not spinning right, I looked through my manual for guidance but in the meantime I was filling up the little hole on the bottom with cleaners and such trying to clean it up figuring it would free up the impeller. Any hoo from the advice of a member here They educated me that the impeller has a mechanical seal that applys friction to the back of the impeller that prevents it from justs spinning rapidly. So bottom line I think from all the solvents and such I probably destroyed the seal :shock:lesson learned but the 30 year old pump has been replaced with some new mechanics;)hopefully to last another 30 years.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
imported post

And NEVER try to blow the gunk out of the weep hole with 50psi from an air compressor! :shock:

The result will be a loud bang and a water pump order to Western Honda!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Destruction manual ? I don't need no stinkin destruction manual !! I can do that all by myself !!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Destruction manual ? I don't need no stinkin destruction manual !! I can do that all by myself !!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you got it covered eyeore , the " mechanical " seal used to be referred to as packing back in the day.
It prevents the coolant from getting to the bearings and is almost always the reason for coolant leaking from the weep hole. The weep hole is there to warn you that coolant is now getting into the bearings and you need to change pump before all hell breaks loose !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.