Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I rode home in forty degree weather(about a 50 mile trip) and my 1984 Standard Goldwing protested. At about 60-65 mph the bike started making a noise that I'm going to have a hard time describing. It sounded a little like a hydraulic car lift when it's raising a car up off the ground. Like it was half electronic/half mechanical. It wouldn't stop making the noise unless I slowed down to under 10 miles an hour. The noise was fairly constant in pitch, and one time it was brought on by hitting a bump on a bridge.

At first I thought maybe one of the baffles of the horn was sticking. That's the general area where the sound seemed to be coming from. And it was pretty loud. But it could've just been reflected there from under the bike. And the horn seemed to be working okay if maybe a little sticky.

The owner before me put on an electronic fuel pump, but I would be amazed if that little thing could make that much sound. Then again, I really have no idea what was causing it.

The performance didn't seem to be affected at all. Throttle was smooth. Braking was smooth and so was the shifting.

I haven't ridden it at highway speeds since then because I don't want to screw anything up. I did drive it once yesterday in town with no problems, but I never went over 45.

Any ideas? Thanks very much for your time.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Please take the time to fill in your profile as to your location. You may have a member who lives close by who is ableto help you out.

1st thing I'd be checking is my tires/sidewalls, to make sure they are not rubbing against something. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

What about wheel bearings. I've seen them making a hell of a racket at higher speeds but under 30-40 they don't make a noise at all. Usually you can feel some vibes with it as well though.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Another thing to check is the speedometer. If you have a regulator speedo,( not digital) sometimes the bushing in the rear where the cable connects will get dry and make noise. It will sound like it is coming from the front,"somewhere". Usually a few drops of light oil will quiet it down....

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

My noise may be similar except mine happened when the temp was just below freezing. Pulled the clutch in, revved, changed gears, it was constant until just under 15 mph. I am suspecting the speedo caple or mechanism at the wheel as has been mentioned. I plan to look at it today. I just replaced my wheel bearings in July; not that one could not be bad. I think I saw my speedo make a slight jump when the noise occured one time.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Seeing it is a 84 1200, I would agree with the others on the speedo cable. Does the speedo needle jump or vibrate when the noise is there.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I had an intake manifold leak once at one of the carburetors. Itmade a squeaking sound I thought was the tach cable. And it would come and go with ambient temperature. I would have sworn it was mechanical. Finally found it by tightening the clamps while making the noise at idle. Could this be it?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

My '84I makes a similar sound when I hit highway speeds in the cold too. It's done it for years now, (original owner).

If I slow down, noise disappears, and comes back when I speed up. After a while it just goes away.

On mine it's the fan...it must turn on its own with the wind going through it and if the lubricants/bushings in it are cold, it makes noise. Only happens early spring and late fall.

Anyone else have this?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

mabey, disconnect your speedo at the wheel and re test for noise. I think the boy's might be on to something!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

The fan may make some sense after I think about the noise I have been having; especially since it does not change pitch with speed until below 10 to 15 mph.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I had a 750 DOHC honda that would howl when the temps were cold. Itwas the air intake. l just kept riding. everything worked like it should with no complications.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Trust me.... ifyou have a mechanical tach and/or speedometer - it is either the speedomter or tach CABLE. If you are traveling above 20mph in cold weather you try to carefully reach behind the gages and feel the vibration of the cables. I have tried to get some WD40 light penetrating oil down inside the cable but it does not seem to help much.Check it out as it dorve me nuts for a couple of days until I was able to find the root cause of the problem.

Thanks - Ed

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

I'd bet on the speedometer, my 1200 speedo was doing the same thing. Took it apart and liberally applied graphite powder and a little machine oil on the gears, noise went away!:cool:

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I will have to agree with the Speedo diagnosis, This last summer my speedo made a sound like there were demons in the handle bars trying to get out. It seemed to shake the whole front end. I disconnected the cable at the Speedo and the noise went away.

I tried lubing it to no affect. I ended up replacing it with one from a 78. No problems since then.

Peter

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Was there a female at your six. They can make some noise in 40 degree weather, except it does'nt sound like a hydraulic lift, it's more like fingernails on the chalkboard. My vote is speedo cable, because mine is doing the same thing, volume increase takes care of it. Rock on.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The female was at my 12 o'clock, in her car, with her mom. So I heard that noise too but was able to distinguish it from the one coming from my radiator/handlebar area. I took the bike out today and all is well. However, the weather is warmer so there is really no way for me to test in the same conditions yet. For those of you who are suggesting speedo cable, I'm unfamiliar with that problem. Does it make a very substantial noise? Fan bearings seem more likely to make that loud a sound. But then again, if I knew the answer......

Anyway, you guys are helpful AND funny. And I really appreciate the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Yes a Speedo Cable can make a very suprizing amount of noise. The correct lube is a dry Graphite powder.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

The noise on mine was coming from the speedometer itself, not the cable. Had to take it off the bike, disassemble it and lube the gears inside. And it was a very substantial noise, couldn't believe such howling was coming from there.:)

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

fan noise would only be audible during fan operation. they only kick in periodically to cool the wing down so it would be intermittant sound, not steady.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Once while driving on a country road in my 75 CVCC Civic the speedo cable went bad. I thought I had hit a jack rabbit or worse cause it was squealing like an animal. I soon noticed the speedo needle was bobbing and figured it out. Since then I've had two other Hondas do the same thing. When my GMC cable went it just died, no sound what so ever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.