Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way home a couple days ago, and the bike started overheating a few miles from home. Steam was coming from everywhere, up under the fake tank. I got it home and parked it in the yard. This afternoon I pulled the sidecovers, seat, and fake tank, and everything under there was covered in antifreeze. The reservoir was empty. I removed the radiator cap and didn't see any coolant. I started it up, filled the radiator and reservoir, let it idle a bit to get any air out, and put the radiator cap back on. I let it sit there and idle for almost an hour while I did some yard work. I heard the fan coming on and going off, the temp gauge never went above 6 bars. No sign of a leak. Could it be the thermostat stuck? I'm afraid to ride it anywhere for fear it may happen again.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
I would ride it but stick close to home. Higher revs and loading will tell the true story about that.

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
How about the hose from the radiator to the reservoir, had one split on me recently.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I haven't replaced the 0-rings. I checked everything for leaks when I had all the bodywork off, and couldn't find anything. I did find that the overflow hose had come off the reservoir. It looks like it either overheated or the radiator cap failed, and the coolant blew out the reservoir overflow and all over the place. I could not see the dim LCD temp gauge, the sun was shining right on it. It has always run at 6 bars ever since I got it. Thats when the fan comes on to keep it from going any higher. Whatever it was, I can't seem to get it to happen again. I rode it about 15 miles, 4 trips around the one square mile area where I live, and nothing happened. The radiator cap was on tight when I removed it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
What kind of bike?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
What's so weird about a bad headgasket?
Well that's easy enough to test... just run to autozone and rent a block tester... takes a few minutes and it's a win-win. You either find out it's good and don't have to worry, or find out it's not and you found the problem.

BTW, Alex, unless Jerry done gone and got a new ride without tellin' us, I imagine it's still the LTD.

My question is, how the he!! did you get it to overheat with as bloody cold as it's been lately?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.