Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Pulled the carbs and there was rusty water not bad yet in all 4 ports.. the last PO.. left it in the rain with the top off the Air Cleaner.. I was hoping not to pull the heads but I guess it would not hurt with 82,000 miles to lap the valves and clean the ports.. just take more time where I can't ride.. I did make Daytona, my Stepson told me his clutch was not working right.. I said I would take it home and fix it for him bled out the Air and test rode to Daytona without a Hitch...

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Before I went and took the heads off I'd squirt/pour some Sea Foam into the intake valve area & through the plug holes and turn the motor over by hand. ( you can use the rear tire to do this or alternator bolt.

Go out the next day & repeat the process. As long as the motor turns over then I'd clean out the carbs as well as I could. I wouldn't go and rebuild them just yet as you want to see if it will run. If the motor turns over freely by hand, then I'd change the oil & filter ( get rid of any water/gas or whatever. Put the carbs back on & see if it will start.

Once it starts than you can asses what you've got and go from there. Belts etc are important. If your going to go as far as laping valves then you should do the rings. Also read up on doing valves in a wing, they are not like a car. You have to be careful or you can ruin the valve seats.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I agree with you 99.8 percent. the engine turns over fine, I will seafoam the intake ports then do a compression check except on the #1 the spark plug is broken off at the Gasket.. I did it trying to take it out after doing sea foam to it should have knowen that the plug gaskets make a great seal.. If the comprssion checks out on the other 3 cylinders I will just take off the head with bad plug. this will give me a check of the cylinder walls and Rust problems.. I was just going to hand lap the valves..unless they fail the visual test.. Ok let me dig deeper and let you know what I found.. confused by what you mean about the valve seats on a wing ? vs. Car..

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Valve seats can be hand lapped as I understand not done on a valve grinding machine. Others who've rebuilt these engines would have a better answer. Just do a search on the site.

I wouldn't worry too much about compression at this point.

If you have somebody good with a mig welder you can build up the broken off plug and then weld a nut on the built up end. It should come out with a socket.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well I got it down to the Head and will pull it tomorrow.. that way I can see one side as to what is going on.. all the bolts but one 6mm came out like new and one broke off.. Oh boy Insert practice.. my 750 had mostly Helicoils in the Valve cover and Clutch cover.. I liked them but the new inserts are better I feel.. I will take Pics tomorrow of what I find..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.