Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As some of you know i've been considering the purchase of an 86 250 rebel. Well I did it I went ahead and bought the damn thing, already named it too. meet "Dinky"....

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

my dad wants one like somethin else he just wants it to ride back and forth to work and to the hardware store to get a handfull of nails or whatever from time to time

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Bought one for my wife a few years back.

Got the wing and she liked the back seat soooo much she quit riding it.

Nice bike

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

Um...BrokeWinger,
Maybe you wouldn't be so broke if you stopped buying motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Nice bikes. My wife took her m/c class on one of those. Great bike to learn on and for running around town. They seem to be a very popular first bike but people outgrow them quickly. Around here, it's not uncommon to see them with low mileage (under 5000 miles) for less than $1500.

When we took the m/c class, the mechanic told me they had a couple 1986 models they've never had to anything more than routine maintenance. Granted they seldom go over 30 mph but I thought it was pretty impressive that the clutches and trannys could hold up to 25 years of punishment from inexperienced riders.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

Heck for 300 bucks can't go wrong. Not sure I can see you and the misses both on it at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Good on ya!! Looks great!! Dem'z nice put-putts.

$300???? What kind of gun did you use???

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Hmmmmm...... Let's see......

Nice bike

$300

No brainer. Fantastic buy!!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

No doubt! If I ran across that deal I would buy it also.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

My kid started on one of those and he bought it himself... I made him stick with it for a year, and then I co-signed for a Suzuki SV650 (which he still has) and then he bought a KTM 640 for himself. He rides a lot, so I guess the Little Rebel served it's purpose.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I bought an '04 Rebel about 3 years ago, and have done some customizing on it. One of the biggest things I did was to move the pegs and controls 4" forward, with a 34" inseam, I simply did not fit. My next step is to replace the stock exhaust with MAC pipes, though that will have to wait, I have a ways to go on the Goldwing at the moment.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107243579383727476129/JerrySRebel11142010

And while the little Rebel is quite adept at running around town while saving a lot of gas, it has a lot more potential than that. The Rebel is both freeway legal and freeway capable. A couple of years ago, I took a 5,000+ mile trip on mine, riding about 500 miles a day, with no problems at all. With the forward mounted pegs, something to lean back against, and a beadrider seat cover, it was really quite comfortable. I rode 60-65 mph in the right lane, and never had any issues. Who says you need a big bike to take long trips on.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107243579383727476129/Rebel2

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

I have an '82CM250C which is the precursor to the Rebel. It's a fun bike to ride! I often take it to work (50 miles round trip). Hard to beat the 60+ MPG I get with it!:action:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

My son has one of those Rebels. He is itching for something bigger, but that isn't happening until he gets at least a year on the Rebel.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

I was thinking about having the boy start on a 500 shadow. That way he might be good for 2-3 years. But, the shadow comes in at around 400 LBS. and the 250 Rebel around 330 LBS,, so I guess it's which ever one he feels better on, especially in the turns. I believe resale is usually pretty good on the rebels if you keep them in tip top shape and have the service records.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

MNSNOWMAN wrote:
I was thinking about having the boy start on a 500 shadow. That way he might be good for 2-3 years.
Just have him start on a Valkyrie, then he'll be good forever.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.