Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I installed armrests today and while I was at it I changed the fuel filter, checked air cleaner and put it all back together. Bike wouldn't start. I cranked until the battery got too low to turn it over. Went in the house for a bit, came out and tried again. Still no fire. This bike has never failed to start.

Well...............somehow I had bumped the kill switch to stop. Damn I've never done that before. Turned the kill switch back to on and what do you know...it started right up..after I charged the battery.

Another lesson learned. I suppose I should have checked that the very first thing. I've been riding all my life and that's the first time I've done that. I could live without a kill switch. Seems to me the ignition switch is just as close if needed.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Hey, Mike, I towed mine home once and was tearing into the wiring when my gal asked very softly, "What's this button for.........?" Heard about that a lot...........Never did that again! JP

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

been there done that and was awarded the dopey T SHIRT ...ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I got the T shirt and the Cap!!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I cant remember how the kill switch worked on my neighbours :15red:but on his :18red:when the switch is applied the starter wont operate untill the switch is released, so you cant run down the battery. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well that's a good feature. I can guarantee you my 1500 isn't wired like that. Starter will definately spin with kill switch in off position.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Well I have never ever done anything like that. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. But we won't talk about my wife and her wing.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Well that's a good feature. I can guarantee you my 1500 isn't wired like that. Starter will definately spin with kill switch in off position.
I can definitely :blushing:state that the 1200 and 1500 will crank with the kill switch off. I've done testing on this subject, even at a busy intersection or two.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Im not doubting any of ye. :stumped: The :18red:wont fire unless the switch is on.

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Im not doubting any of ye. :stumped: The :18red:wont fire unless the switch is on.
What a happy coincidence, I'm not doubting you either, we've discovered one more difference between the 1800 and all that went before.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

Been there done that.

I stoppedfor a red light at a major intersection with my polished, gleaming 1500. By the time the lights had changed to green for me there were quite a few cars behind. I went toput the bike into first ready to move off and it promptly died. I tried cranking but to no avail so eventually I had to push it to the side of the road. Talk about embarassed. Once at the side of the road the panic subsided and logic kicked in, I found I had caught the kill switch with my glove while resting my arms on the handle bars trying to look cool at the intersection. After being caught out once it never happens again.

Regards,

John S.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well, I can catagorically state that this has never happened to me, I have never hit my kill switch and left myself embaressed. Of course the "kill switch fairy" has on occassion, flown down whilst I wasn't looking and knocked it off for me, but I am sure that I have never done it.:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

cbhon wrote:
Been there done that.

I stoppedfor a red light at a major intersection with my polished, gleaming 1500. By the time the lights had changed to green for me there were quite a few cars behind. I went toput the bike into first ready to move off and it promptly died. I tried cranking but to no avail so eventually I had to push it to the side of the road. Talk about embarassed. Once at the side of the road the panic subsided and logic kicked in, I found I had caught the kill switch with my glove while resting my arms on the handle bars trying to look cool at the intersection. After being caught out once it never happens again.

Regards,
John S.
Halfway round the world, same thing!:blushing:Quote from my post of 1/29/05

There I was cruising along happily after this week's work on my bike, then just as Icame up to a stop light the engine quit cold. It's embarrassing to tell of this. After a minute or two trying to restart etc., I noticed the kill switch that I'd inadvertenly bumped to the off position. To make it worsetrying to leavethe stoplight in third gear after you furtively turn the kill switch back to on? Shoulda just dropped the bike to finish the performance.
:cussing:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

I kinda like Pete's explantion, thoes kill switch fairys can be some nastylittle things.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
imported post

Apparently I'm a slow learner, My wife works 3rd shift so a couple times a week when she goes to bed around 6 o'clock, I take the wing out. When I come home I usually kill the motor a few houses down so I don't wake her pulling into the garage, darn if I don't crank it with the kill switch on every time I go out again. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Don't ever bump it while you're passing on a 2 lane highway like I did, you'll have to buy new underwear!!

Have never figured out how I did it?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

The bells only work on evil road demons not the kill switch fairys. I am speaking from experience. Tried to start the bike after showing it off at my daughter's soccer game and it just would not start. Daughter came over and asked what the red switch was for. Awwww shoot. Shown up by my 15 year old. I trust I have totally scared the kill switch fairy away for good after that incident. Still won't bring the bike to a soccer game, I am still getting a load of smelly stuff over that one.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
The bells only work on evil road demons not the kill switch fairys. I am speaking from experience. Tried to start the bike after showing it off at my daughter's soccer game and it just would not start. Daughter came over and asked what the red switch was for. Awwww shoot. Shown up by my 15 year old. I trust I have totally scared the kill switch fairy away for good after that incident. Still won't bring the bike to a soccer game, I am still getting a load of smelly stuff over that one.
Now you were a bit slow there, you should have ignored her pointing out the switch, and fiddled about under the bike making like you knew what the problem was. Then a few moments later, stood up and announced " It's ok dear, it was just the piffle valve needed adjustment". Then calmly, climbed back on the bike and descreatly, moved the kill switch, fired her up and swept down the drive to the amazement of all the kids.

Pete

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.