Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some work for someone and ended up taking home his 85 gold Goldwing Limited Edition.

I think it's completely unmodified. It sat parked for a few years. Came with a service manual, receipts, a Honda cover, a different seat, some Honda duffel bags, and a Honda tool bag.

Got it trailered over. Check the oil, hooked up some jumper cables. She cranks on all 4 but won't light off. So far I've pulled about 7 gallons of old gas out and discovered the clutch master has no pressure, sight glass looks cracked. Gotta inspect the fuel pump to see if it's running.

I got a cool oddball project to keep me busy for a bit! Nice to meet you all.

·
Administrator
58,950 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
I am sure we can help with any questions you might have....

nice to find an old school ride, ain't it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's efi (cfi according to the emblems)
I got the fuel pump to run, I still don't know how to operate the air ride but I'll figure it out when I get to it.

·
Administrator
22,284 Posts
Well, that is far from unmodified and, unfortunately, most of the mods involved drilling holes into the bike, so removing them is probably not feasible. The cat is stock, though. :devilish:
If you're thinking of putting a fancy windshield and garnish on it, I'd like first shot at the ones that are on there now.

I see palm trees. Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
12,741 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum family. Yes , as Dennis says the bike has some aftermarket add ons. But not to worry, you have a very nice bike and a bit historicas it was the first year Honda put electronic fuel injection on a motorcycle. It looks as though it was kept in a cover and appears to be in nice shape. With a little effort you should have a wonderful machine. EFI parts can be hard to find but the folks here can help steer you to adaptations for some of the parts.
Since you have the fuel pump working , I would see about replacing the fuel filter putting in some injector cleaner( Sea Foam comes to mind) change out the spark plugs . Sadly the fuel tank may need a good cleaning and possibly electrolosys to clean it up.
So again welcome and hope you have it running soon , it's a great machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your input. I'm currently trying to find the damn air cleaner to shoot spray in it so I can figure out if the spark is weak or the fuel isn't getting sprayed into the head. Compression is there and ecm is reading rpm while cranking and plugs have a small spark so I'm guessing fuel. I saw a Honda fuel filter on ebay for $150 so I hope it isn't clogged. I read it's under the trip computer and fuse box. Gotta figure out how to get this trip computer out without breaking it. Taking my time with it because I have cars 😄

·
Premium Member
63,667 Posts
Hallo Keepinitoldskool

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome. Nice ride and be better when on the road. I have one that has been my retirement project for the past 4 years. Use it for daily riding and touring, solo and two up.

Couple of things. There is no fuel filter on the '85 LTD FI from the tank to the fuel pump. Disconnect the fuel line into the fuel pump and make sure fuel runs through. Doesn't take much to clog up the fuel lines. There is a fuel shut off VV that is behind the right side side cover. It is only ever shut off when you do maintenance on the fuel system, otherwise it is always open, unlike the carb models that state to shut off the fuel VV when engine not in operation. Close this valve before you disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump. May leak but that is not a big issue.

The fuel filter is on the right side of the bike. It is between the fuel pump and the fuel injector supply line. It is an obsolete part but there are alternatives for it.

The air cleaner can be gotten to by lifting the travel computer, remove the fuse block, then the air box top.

Lots of good info on this and the other GW forums.

Good luck. Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found that pump, I pulled the inlet hose and used it to drain the tank. The shutoff valve was open, when I closed it it started dripping but stopped when I put it back to open. I cleaned the pump inlet screen, not much in it. Pump is flowing and I can see it returning into the tank. Next steps will be to verify pressure (maybe regulator is stuck open?) And check the filter for clogs and check the injectors for flow...
But AFTER I find the aircleaner and verify I have a fueling problem 😄

1 - 16 of 16 Posts