Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago if mufflers from a 2000 1500 would fit my 89 1500 and they would. I bought them today and started to put them on and the problem began.

They bolted right up but the oval shaped tip was at about a 15 angle instead of being horizontal.

The next problem was I have a spoiler under my saddle bags across the rear of bike. THe mufflers was so short they would be blowing hot exhaust on the back of spoiler. I figured that would be a problem either melt, warp or burn paint off the spoiler. So off they come called they man I bought them from and he was really nice about it. He told me to bring them back tomorrow and he will give me my money back.

Now the next question is if I buy a set of after market exhaust will they be the same way. If anyone has after market on yours with the spoiler I would appreciate any info and advice.

If anyone has a set of OEM that will fit an 89 I would be interested in buying them.
My original mufflers have the triple tip extensions on them which stick out 4 in. past my spoiler that is why they worked OK

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
......They bolted right up but the oval shaped tip was at about a 15 angle instead of being horizontal.

The next problem was I have a spoiler under my saddle bags across the rear of bike.......
I've seen a lot of 98-2000 Wings with the low spoiler and the later mufflers sit just nice under them. No hot smoke melting the spoiler either, the tips don't get that hot.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Those that you bought sounds from your description of oval to be aftermarket Hollywood shorts. The stock mufflers have turned down ends. You would need the Daytona long aftermarket mufflers or get stock mufflers. I have the oval slash cut longs on my 99.
Or you could put Harley mufflers on. There are posts on doing that.

This shows what stock mufflers look like on the ends
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/309292-fitting-new-gl1500-mufflers.html
I believe the later year models did not have a turned down exhaust tip. Oval sounds correct for a 2000. Personally I would have kept the mufflers and removed the spoiler. Stock mufflers must be getting rare enough to hang on to now, no?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honda OEM oval tipped mufflers from 1998-2000 will fit under the optional lower spoiler. I've seen many of them like that.
Yes they were the original mufflers off a 2000 but they did not stick out past the spoiler they were 2 in behind it. I was afraid the heat from the exhaust would ruin my spoiler.
I don't want to get rid of the spoiler so I am going to order the Hollywood long exhaust instead of spending more than that on the originals

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes they were the original mufflers off a 2000 but they did not stick out past the spoiler they were 2 in behind it. I was afraid the heat from the exhaust would ruin my spoiler.
I don't want to get rid of the spoiler so I am going to order the Hollywood long exhaust instead of spending more than that on the originals
They also sell a turn down version, and to the side by the Daytona /Hollywood Torque Monster Co.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.