Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am having a hellish to do with this bike. While hauling this 1984 Aspencade home, I managed to bend the handlebars!:gunhead:I got a set from a seller on ebay who said they will fit all 1200s from 84-87, only to discover that they were too big in diameter where they mount at the clamps!! The original set is the same diameter from end to end, even at the mount points. The set the seller sent me is a three piece welded design with a tamper on each side a little before the hand controls. He sent me a set of 1100 bars, which was the same diameter as the original, but the rise and length are too short. I ordered a set from the local Honda dealer and when they arrived,they were identical to the first set I bought on ebay. Has anyone ran into this problem? I thought about changing the triple tree, but now I am worried that the fork diameters couldbe different. The seller is checking into thetree for me now. The dealer wants $190, without the nuts and bolts. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Why not buy a set of "Risers" 3 or 4 " and use the 1100 bars with them, that would raise them up and pull them towards you a couple if inches?!

Just make sure you have enough cable to accommodate the risers?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I asked about that at the dealer,but they said there were no risers made for that bike. I am unfamiliar with risers on top of that. Thanks for the suggestion, now I will delve into it a little further. Thanks!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wendell wrote:
I asked about that at the dealer,but they said there were no risers made for that bike. I am unfamiliar with risers on top of that. Thanks for the suggestion, now I will delve into it a little further. Thanks!
How about contacting some of the salvage yards on the phone. You know what you are looking for now and can easily tell if the ones the seller has is the right one.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Great minds think alike! I have been trying to call several listed here on the forum and leaving messages. Hopefully, someone will call me back soon! Since I just got my carb kits, I guess I'll be busy working on that. I may have to mount my old bars long enough to get the bike started. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Wendell, try this number , ask them if their risers will fit and how tall plus pull back they give?

Looks like only a couple inches, maybe not?

888-799-5445 Cal.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wendell wrote:
get the bike started. Thanks!Great minds think alike! I have been trying to call several listed here on the forum and leaving messages. Hopefully, someone will call me back soon! Since I just got my carb kits, I guess I'll be busy working on that. I may have to mount my old bars long enough to
How badly bent are the original bars? If they aren't kinked it should be possible to bend them back. It might be worth taking them to a body shop or a metal fabricator to get an opinion. If there's a plating shop in your area the bars could be bent back into shape and internally reinforced. You'd need a replating job but it might be cheaper than finding new bars.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I had thought about the bar repair, but discovered a large radial crack at the bend mark. Not to pleased with the thought of going down the road and having thatleft side just kinda falling off. Yeh....pretty smart Wendell. Guess I was delerious with finding this bike,andgot carried away with the tie down ratchets. Hey wingdawg101,I will give it one more week to find the bars, then I WILLcall that numberfor the risers. Why, oh, why did I do this goofy thing?:baffled:With gas prices soaring, I better get this done soon! Thanks again folks!

PS, the dear alert thread and the bunny/pancake thing had me LMAO! My wife looked at me like I was weird, til I showed her the bunny/pancake pic! :goofygrin::goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Wendell, make sure the part numbers are right, there are at least three different handlebar types available, here are some;

53100-MG9-000 is for the 1984 Standard (plain Jane) model.

53100-MG9-680 is for the 1984-87 Interstate for the Canadian,European, Germany, UK, Italian and Switzerland markets.

53100-MG9-770 is for all 1985 models and the 84 & 85 Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks DJ! I tried to get the parts guy to dig a little further on this, but he was obviously not very interested. Guess that dealership does not want to deal with the small dollar items. We are headed to a cycle yard in Lancaster, Ohio. He seems to think that he has something. If this does not pan out, I'll try those numbers. I have not given up on the bar risers. I'll use that as a final solution. Thanks again!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Don't feel too bad about the handlebars, I've got several pairs of pants with my own boot marks on the backside. Over the years I've become double jointed so I can kick my own butt.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Don't feel too bad about the handlebars, I've got several pairs of pants with my own boot marks on the backside. Over the years I've become double jointed so I can kick my own butt.
WOW, Good idea! This beating my head on a wall thing got old, I'll have to try your way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.