Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well after waiting almost three weeks down time, today I fired her up again!

A very big thanks to all here for the good posts and reading material. Coupled with careful use of the Honda shop manual, I finished changing my blown head gasket and replaced my 30 year old timing belts. She needed some extra effort to get fired up again after sitting around but didnt complain. New paint on the exhuast pipes stinks badly while breaking in to heat. What little oil that found its way into my coolant has been flushed clean and all I really need to do tomorrow night is re-adjust my points and I'll be riding again!:cheeky1:

Which is a good thing cause if I didnt get to ride again soon, somebody at work was gonna get to see me have a nervous break-down!:shock:

PS Timing belts are very easy to change on a GL1000 !

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you're back up and running. I finally mine inspected and talked with Dave about the noise. He suggested syncing the carbs, if that doesn't do it, it could be a clogged jet.

Give me a call and we can try and set up a ride.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Good going Harrystoy, having the bike laid up in the shop is a pain so I know you're glad to get it on the road again. I just got my new tires for my bike so I will have it down tomorrow to change them out. Sure hope nothing slows down the operation, I don't want to lose more than one day of summer.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

exavid wrote:
Good going Harrystoy, having the bike laid up in the shop is a pain so I know you're glad to get it on the road again. I just got my new tires for my bike so I will have it down tomorrow to change them out. Sure hope nothing slows down the operation, I don't want to lose more than one day of summer.
Thanks Paul, It seemed like forever. I went for years during the Navy without having a bike and now you cant get me off it unless its broke!:grinner:

I had taken her (the bike)and my daughter to Kitty Hawk and on the way back she started running hot. Had it sitting in the garage and hadnt done anything yet and Rick came over. While we were discussing the problem I had, he opened the overflow tank and thats when we found out the head gasket was blown (at least I hoped till the head was off).

Turned out thats all it was (thank goodness). Seems though since changing the belts (boy the new ones are much tighter than the old ones were, that its not quite right at an idle (slight miss). I figured its problably due to the new belts changing the timing just enough to warrant resetting the points.:jumper:

Cant wait to ride to work again................

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Rick S wrote:
Glad to hear you're back up and running. I finally mine inspected and talked with Dave about the noise. He suggested syncing the carbs, if that doesn't do it, it could be a clogged jet.

Give me a call and we can try and set up a ride.
Let's shoot for Sunday morning, it will give me a chance to get all the bugs back out!:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Rick S wrote:
Sunday sounds good. What time?
Let's meet early at "Bone-Shakers" for breakfast, My neighbor and his Harley owe me breakfast for fixing his Lambo's a/c last Saturday. He said he wanted to go riding with us..........

Tomorrow night me and the wife are setting up for a Saturday yard sale, will call you then (Saturday) and we can schedule this thing! :cheeky1:

PS: tweeked the point setting today and she's running great, gonna ride into work tomorrow. :jumper:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.