Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke my ankle today riding into work. Stupid thing, was distracted by something on side of the road. When I looked back traffic was stopped. Swerved left to avoid the truck in front of me and just clipped the rear corner. Didn't go down but did hit my ankle on something. Pulled over, parked it. Driver was then next to me asking if I was ok. As I got off that's when I felt it. His truck was an old beater and he couldn't tell which damage was mine so he said just forget it. Bike suffered a broken mirror ring on the right and some other minor plastic damage but otherwise is totally driveable. I go to the ortho next Friday. And I get to look for a new mirror ring and clip. Bent the light bar, which I straightened out before I left the scene, lights still work.
This was all my fault for not paying attention but could have been much worse. Speed at impact was low as I was on the brakes, just needed another foot and would have missed entirely. Won't be riding for a while I guess.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
heal up quick!

Most guys will not admit when they make a mistake. Way to man up!!!

Heal quickly! It could have been worse!

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
I caught myself doing something very near like that just a couple of days ago.

traffic was shutting down fast, and had I not had my "ultra long" way back there following distance that " I like ", I would have rear ended someone.

I was gawking over to the right to see what the "new construction" was all about.
looked at it way too long evidently, and when I looked back in front of me, the car in front was now about 5 car lengths away and slowing down fast....

I had plenty of time to switch lanes, and lucky the lane to the right was open.

probably had time to come to a full stop, but it would have been hard braking.

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oddly enough I'm more concerned about the bike than me. And I won't be riding for a while which really gripes me. I don't like cages anymore....

Reactions: corkya and AZgl1800

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
So what did she look like? ( the distraction by the side of the road) LOL.. Glad you are OK. Not to say a broken ankle is not anything to take lightly. Heal up during the fall and ride this winter

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Did the same thing BUT the truck didn't have stop lights,just barely tapped him and fell over and he took off.

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see the ortho tomorrow. How long does a fibula take to heal

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
You're right...it could have been much worse!

Get well soon :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
I see the ortho tomorrow. How long does a fibula take to heal

Depends on how badly it is fractured.

I shattered my left heel once, looked like an ice cube dropped in hot water.

The doctor looked at the x-ray and said,

"
Ummm, you would have been better off to have just had a complete break. those heal up rather quickly. This shattered bone can't be splinted, I can't wrap it tight enough to do any good, because that will stop blood flow.

You are going to just have to live with it, and walk on your toes, and avoid putting any weight on that heel for at least a year.
profound words, it was over 10 years before I could walk on that heel w/o giving in to it.... yet today, 30 years later, I still have events where I loose my balance because that foot wants to collapse.

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw the xray, clean break. Right above where it attaches to the ankle

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
I saw the xray, clean break. Right above where it attaches to the ankle

Just out of curiosity,

what type foot wear did you have on?

I prefer my lace up boots above ankle.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Good thing you looked when you did! The still-living example of Wing rider class skills practice!

This is a great reason for all to practice the emergency slow with lane change and stop because it happens!
Some small plastic cones- in addition to your tennis balls- make a nice simulation of the back of a truck.
See how late you can make the turn around the obstacle, then encounter lane blockage.

Again, a buddy doing video will speed your learning, see how close you really were, try again!

PowerGuy can give support (bad pun) to the broken ankle coalition

Strong boots help, but at some point the laws of physics take over
Stupid Newton

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glad your ok! In the early 80's I had a dresser Harley and was riding beside my buddy on a KZ 1000 when we went past a strip of stores with mirror glass fronts. I was busy checking out our reflection as we rode past when my buddy laid on his horn. I looked forward just in time to lock up the brakes and slide beside a pick up that had stopped in front of us for traffic. Don't think my butt unclenched for about a week!:rofl:

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,083 Posts
Hope you are doing OK. I did the same thing about 30 years ago on my 1100. Traffic started, I went with the traffic and started looking at something to the right. Traffic stopped and I didn't, but I did grab a handful of brakes. I was probably going three MPH when I hit the old Impala in front of me. Bike fell over, I stayed on my feet. Forks were bent and it took out the front fender. "Stupid is as stupid does" Forest Gump.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Were you able to get the shifter pivot installation done before the incident

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah
Was learning how a clean shift felt like. I'm more observant now believe me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.