Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I went down, Thursday night 09/20/12 at 11:30pm. I suffer a broken #5 rib, bruised elbow, both hips bruised, left knee is messed up. Since then, have been recouping and occasional glances at the wing. Can not afford to miss work so have been dealing with that as well.

The wing is gonna need a winters worth TLC. The windshield, left mirror and trim, upper fairing left turn signal, and all plastic inside and out on the left side motor cover forward all the way down to the chin spoiler including the engine guard. All except the lower driving light was broke including the knee air vents!!!

I don't plan on turning this into the ins. company. Just for them to raise my rates. So need to replace these parts on my own. If anyone here has or knows where to find these, I would greatly appreciate it.

This is a Black 1998 SE Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
imported post

You mend first, then worry about the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

Glad you are ok, even if you are a little worse for wear, at least you are still with us. Take your time and heal up, then worry about fixing the bike, your health is much more important.

BTW, would you like to share how the accident happned? The reason I ask, is maybe we all can learn something to help us avoid a similar fate.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Heal quickly.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I pay insurance just for these situations. Any raise in rates will likely never offset what you will have to pay in repairs.

Glad your are on the mend.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Mend yourself first, the bike will still be there when your ready...

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your accident. As the others have said, take care of yourself first, then worry about the bike. You have all winter to fix it. Start watching EBay for parts.
Heal quickly.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Well how it happened was really stupid on my part. The LEO gave me the shock and awe. I was breaking the limit and he turned on his lights while I was searching for the dimmer. I was paying too much attention to him in the mirror and not enough on the road ahead to turn out of a turn when I should have. The shoulder of the road got a grip on the bike and I went down. Really not proud of it, more embarrassed if anything. Not much to learn except that you drive by looking forwards, not backwards.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear this...get well soon!

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

Hope you heal up well, worry about the wing after you get back on your feet.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear you went down, hope all goes well and you heal quickly.

As others have said, I would turn it into the insurance company, many times they total it out and you get a check for the value of the bike plus a % of the add ons if so covered. But thats why you have insurance, what if you get a couple thousand dollars into the repairs and find out the frame is bent?..........

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
imported post

If you do make an insurance claim on it most likely it would be totaled. You can buy the bike from the insurance company for the salvage value and use your settlement check to repair the bike and probably put money back in your pocket. If it takes most or all of your settlement check to repair then you may want to buy another bike.

Your injuries, no doubt are painful, however it could have been much worse. Hope you're feeling better today.

Dan

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,695 Posts
imported post

sorry to hear of your predicament.

I also suggest that you consider using the insurance policy, why else would you carry comprehensive/collision of you don't use it?

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,695 Posts
imported post

sorry to hear of your predicament.

I also suggest that you consider using the insurance policy, why else would you carry comprehensive/collision if you don't use it?

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
imported post

I can relate, I still am not nearly healed from my accident almost 3 months ago. Could have been worse though, I'm sure you will be OK and get the bike fixed too. Use the insurance, that is what you buy it for.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i agree use the insureance if you have the coverage you may have really messed up your knee it may not give you issues now but in 5yrs you mabye laid up for surgery im glad your ok mend yourself

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
imported post

Dave, got your ride fixed? You must be feeling better you are getting feisty again. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
imported post

I am happy that you survived reasonably whole, sad the bike was tore up, and I know you are anxious to both heal yourself whole again and get your "baby" back on the road .... even if by Spring.
:waving:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.