Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Battleax on the front of my 94 SE, replacing an Avon Venum that was causing occasional death wobble. First ride around town felt pretty good.

While I had the front torn apart, I used the opportunity to do some touching up to the fron end of the wing.

The fork tubes, and front wheel have been painted. The reason I'm painting them at this time is lack of $ to replace all the seals, bushings, and bearings at this time. The next time I replace my tire, I will have all the replacement parts to remove and PC everything in Gloss Black. Future plans are PC all the metal chromed parts on the bike. I'm going to break my chrom addictions forever.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE, LUKE .
May the schwarts be with you.
(high mileage)

BE AWARE,that extra tire weight will impact your emergency maneuvers at speed.
To help counter that extra weight, first throw your weight in your intended direction.

ALSO, Longer tread life means less regular maintenance.

ENJOY! :action:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
I like the black. Looks great!!!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm already running a Bridgstone Turanza on the rear, and I love it. It dropped the bike 3/4" in the rear. The Battleaxe felt lighter that the Avon it replaced. I had to go to the local dealer to get it installed. I gave them simple instructions, Move the dynabeads to the new tire, and "Do Not Balance the Tire". When I picked it up, there was an 8" long line of weights on 1 side of my rim. I made them remove those, they did say that the beads where moved over, I sure hope they where right. I could hear the beads moving with the Avon, but the Axe is smoothe inside, so I'll find out if the did this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
.. Bridgstone Turanza on the rear, .. I had to go to the local dealer to get it installed. I gave them simple instructions, Move the dynabeads to the new tire, and "Do Not Balance the Tire". When I picked it up, there was an 8" long line of weights on 1 side of my rim. I made them remove those, they did say that the beads where moved over, I sure hope they where right. I could hear the beads moving with the Avon, but the Axe is smooth inside, so I'll find out if the did this weekend.
I've read several "stealership" stories in GWF and most are not good.
Ask them to do something and it's not done or not done right BUT you still pay top dollar for the work.
"IF" they put weights on the tire when you specifically said not to, I'd have my doubts the Dyna Beads were transfered.
Can you raise the front wheel, spin it then quickly stop it and listen for them? If it's smooth inside might have to quickly put your ear to the tire after it stops.
Curious bunch we are, we'd like to know.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fm, I'd like to know to.
Seth Thanks, the only "Anti-Chrome" color I could think of was black.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I doubt the beads were put into the new tire if they balanced it.

I also have the Battleaxe rear tire, with ceramic beads, on my GL1200 front rim. It is by far the smoothest front tire I have ever run, zero handlebar vibration and the slight wobbles I used to get are gone, even with the badly scalloped rear EIII tire on the back. I am very pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just spoke to the Service Mgr. He said that the tech absolutly put the beads in the new tire. I may pick up an extra ounce and add them just incase.

I like the touch of red, it ties the rim into the bike. I have future plans of a total repaint, so I may do it then. Thanks for the idea.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
The darkside is good for those who choose it!
I am at about 6k on my double conversion, and like you no hint of any wobbly yet. I occasionally let go of the handlebars while decellerating to check (hands still looped around the grips but not touching the grips).
BTW- very nice mods. I like the dark look. Much easier to care for than chrome bling crud.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
It wouldn't be possible to balance the wheel with the beads in it so I doubt they are there.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
With 8 inches of weights something isn't right. Perhaps trying to balance the tire with the beads caused this. Why don't you remove the valve stem and take a thin length of wire, with the tip coated with a dab of grease, poke this through the valve stem. If there are beads in there some will stick to the grease.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
If they are in there you will be able to hear them moving as you slowly turn the wheel by hand with the wheel off the ground.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I spoke to them, they said that the balancer doesn't spin long enough for balancing beads to do there their job. Supposedly the tech said the tire was unbalancable, so maybe the huge amount of weight was because of a pile of beads in the tire. I did some riding around town last night, and it seems to feel OK. I'll get it on the highway and how it does there.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
... I did some riding around town last night, and it seems to feel OK. I'll get it on the highway and how it does there.
I also have that tire on the front. It is a heavy tire vs E3.
I know mine is slightly out of balance and it does not show up at highway speed.
"When you see cupping, it's to late."

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Floyd, what PSI are you running, is your rotation reversed(mine is not), do you feel any "buzzing" from the tire. With the new tire, I may just be hyper-sensitive to anything going on.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Floyd, what PSI are you running, is your rotation reversed(mine is not), do you feel any "buzzing" from the tire. With the new tire, I may just be hyper-sensitive to anything going on.
PSI F-Battleaxe 44 Austone R46.

Got no buzz, cuzz.

Reversed, yup.
I sometimes haul heavy trailers and feel I need the proper stopping rotation.

E3 front was terrible but tolerable on that buzz.
The more buzz meant I was leaning more.

Hyper? Probably. It's not a Limo. :D

The more I look at that red rim, it looks better & better.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just prior to installing the Battleax, I replaced my steering head bearings. After I replaced the SH Bearings, I still had the wobble coming from the Avon. Now I'm just getting used the bike feeling "Right".

Rich

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
For comparison (if thou carest):
Austone- 48 Pilot Activ- 40

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got to do a nice shakedown cruise this weekend, and it was great. I'm running (for now) Battleax 40/Turanzo 38. Felt great, and my wife liked it also, and that's all that really mattered.

Ride Safe,

Rich

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.