Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
lol my wheels turned black like that from not cleaning them since the last tire change.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
Some do, some do not. People have had good results either way so if there is a specific tire you might search it out on this site and see what folks said about it specifically.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Battlaxe on the front, this time I mounted it in it's forward direction (direction of arrow) and honestly can not notice any difference in the ride/drive :?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mine is also mounted in the forward rotation. It feels really good, and stable. After my ride this weekend, I feel certain that the dealer did reinstall my DynaBeads.

Ride Safe
Rich

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Battlaxe on the front, this time I mounted it in it's forward direction (direction of arrow) and honestly can not notice any difference in the ride/drive :?
:?
First Bat'Axe tires mileage?

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
My experience

:?
First Bat'Axe tires mileage?

My BattlAx - mounted in reverse rotationj on my '96 1500 has approx 18,500 miles on it right now. It still looks good and has some miles to give..but it cupped at 11K and has gotten worse over time...

It did BUZZ at 25-28 MPH when riding straight up from day 1 ! But I rarely ride that slow anyway so ..no big deal...

My next B'Ax going on soon (spring) will be mounted correct rotation as an experiment but I doubt it will change anything..

I have kept the front tire at 41 PSI with a low of 38 and a high of 44 the entire time..I check my tires every week at least and mostly every few days. IN the summer I ride every day commuting to work.

I run a Vredestein Comtrac 175 75 rear Darkside tire at 48 LBS . It too has close to 19K on it and I expect another 15 easily. The Comtrac is VERY much like the Austone but was designed for a light trucks and starts with 11/32nds tread depth. I think the Austone starts with 9/32nds..?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
YUP wingsconsin, that is what I was asking.

So, sofar you got 18K on the front BattleAxe tire.
Sounds like your going to change it before it gets to the wear marks?
Can you GUESStamate what you would get for the tread left?

I changed both mine this past fall and it's way to early to know what I would get out of them. The Austone rear has not rubbed enough off yet after 2K miles.

JUST curious to the approx mileage I'll get.

TANKS!

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
YUP wingsconsin, that is what I was asking.

So, sofar you got 18K on the front BattleAxe tire.
Sounds like your going to change it before it gets to the wear marks?
Can you GUESStamate what you would get for the tread left?

I changed both mine this past fall and it's way to early to know what I would get out of them. The Austone rear has not rubbed enough off yet after 2K miles.

JUST curious to the approx mileage I'll get.

TANKS!
The tread on the B'Ax would probably go another 5K easy...
But the cupping is now pretty bad and annoying...I get a pogo effect at 30 MPH from the front tire..you can see it and feel it bouncing down the road...
I DID ride a lot of miles on twisty roads last year with a big trip to the Smokeys and the Dragns tail, and the other mountain roads so that may account for some of the side rub off...The dual compund on that tire is harder in the center than on the sides for longevity..but it seems riding hard in the turns rubs off some of the side rubber prematurely and cupping ensues...

Not UN happy with the performance as I have usually been changing tire sets every 16,000 miles in average - which for me is about 1x per year...

I am considering my options for the next front tire...but the B'Ax is on the list...

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Are you also running ceramic beads on that Battleaxe?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm running beads in mine. I haven't put enough miles on yet to say anything on wear, but the tire handles well and feels good.

Rich

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I've never decided yet if there is really any advantage to running the reversed rotation when using a rear on the front. I think it's mostly all hype so next time I'll run in correct rotation!

Think about it!
A rear tire must be able to handle ALL braking conditions up to max load at hardest fastest possible stop! That means max load on tire and braking so hard your on verge of skidding but not yet locked up! What more could we possibly ask for for braking?
My thought is the TREAD is designed for correct rotation for best traction during both acceleration and braking, also designed to shed water etc...!
I am not sure what effect reversing the tire has on tread design in shedding water and traction in adverse conditions.
I've ran my Pilot Activ in reverse on 2 1500's now just fine and will do so till it's wore out, but next one I mount I think I will do in correct rotation.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Yesss!!! 68F today and my yard was just dry enough to get the Wing out and ride for the FIRST time this year. Bridgestone Battleax rides better than the 2 Metzelers i had. So far i don't feel the cracks in the road as much or the squiggly chip and seal pulling me around. For $99 shipped i like it a lot. Just have to see how long it lasts.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
I hate chip seal. And we get it a lot around here. Congrates!

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
You talking to me...?

Are you also running ceramic beads on that Battleaxe?
Yes - DynaBeads in both tires front & rear.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
4k on the Battleax now and no cupping so far and only running 36psi and forward rotation. Can't believe how soft the rubber is and doesn't show wear. Ran Metzelers at 41 and cupped every time right away. Lowered to 36psi on the last one after 10-12k or so and helped a lot to smooth out the cupping. Changed out at 16k to try the Bridgestone. For some reason my Wing likes lower psi.
Went to Washington DC and to visit Jobe05 over the 4th. Drove the slab most of the way to DC and then some twisties on Hwy 50 for over 100 miles until we got to Winchester. Medium rain here and there and no problems... Hit a real downpour coming back home with cars pulling off to the shoulders and most of us slowing down to 45mph. Really deep tread on the Battleax and no problem. Of course, i don't drive like an idiot in the rain. lol I didn't try to see if braking on the paint stripes made it slide. Not crazy about even trying to see if it would. The front Metzelers i had slid a little on the stripe when i was changing lanes in town and braking to stop and i was more careful after that.
I usually get about 16K on front or rear Metzeler. The REAR Metzeler only has 10k on it now and doesn't look to make maybe 2-3k more. Not sure why it is less than the previous 2. The price keeps going up on the Metzeler so it might be time for different brand or darkside. :ssshh::confused::badgrin:
I have seen so much bad and good for every brand out there. It is a toss up what to get for the rear this time.

So far the Bridgestone is great.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
134K to 145K = 11K of wear on the BattleAxe.
Its depth measures 7/32. So far that makes 3/32 per 11K. It looks like I'll be getting around 30K out of the front tire... THAT I LIKE!

The rear is the Austone and it barely has about 1/32 lesser than new.
I installed it 11.5K ago. That mileage is UNBEWEEBABLE!!! THAT I LIKE ALSO!

Made a Monkee out of me, ''I'm a Beweeber''
;)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.