Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

From the title you guys know where I am coming from. CL ad 97se for sale 7k, no second look. 97se 5.5k you got my attention.

Called the dude and made arrangements for a look see, he was a no show that day. He called back one week later for a second showing. I said do not start engine, I want to be there when it starts cold. OK he says.

I get there that morning to check out my soon to be purchased 97 and the engine is warm. The dude is messing with me. What a wreck of a bike.

Mufflers rotted, most of the plastic has cracks or missing tabs. Electrical nightmare as the dash gauges are inop. Personalized paint on the body ( Hi, I am so and so from someplace) I'am thinking 2k for the ride, how can somebody let it slip that far.

JD

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

easy they just dont care

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

If you saw the Goldwings that I see in any given month, you'd hang yourself.

I see junk that would be considered clutter for a junkyard. Doesn't stop idiots from asking for $$$$$.

I most recently went to see an 85 GL1200 Interstate with 85k miles. It was so sad. Broken bits everywhere, not one plastic bit in good shape. The guy finally said, "Just make me an offer, $500?"

I couldn't even let go with $500 for this piece o'crud. Shame... it ran well.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A gentleman refers to a neglected Goldwing as 'distressed'. After all it isn't the poor bike's fault it's human owners are pigs. I wouldn't give $1500 for a beat up 1500. The plastics are just too expensive to restore one like that. Bad paint is expensive even if you do the job yourself and a hell of a lot of work. A bike in the condition the OP looked at would be worth more parted out than rebuilt but I wouldn't pay over $800 for on like that back when I was in the business of rebuilding and parting out 'Wings. That's one of the reasons I specialized in 1100s. They are easier to repair, cheaper to buy and also easier to convert to a naked bike. 1500s not so much.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Wow.... I had just the opposite happen to me. Found a 1997SE on CL, got lots of pics, and flew to Phoenix to pick it up. Very nice ride, a little dirty, but you could tell it was babied.

I gave the guy 5.5K for it, even before I heard it run. Crazy, I know but I could tell it was in great shape.

Had a service manual in the trunk, cover, and the original owner kept some maintenance records.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well there is a diffrence from being dirty but well kept and in piss poor condition when you go look at a bike and the fiberglass is all cracked and spidered, rotors are nasty, oil leaks, exh has rust holes in it, things tht would cost you thousands to repair back to original or even halfway back,

and they would still want kelly blue book top dollar for the thing thats what the original poster is getting at

most people dont have a clue how to maintain things they just drive it until it breaks.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

I have a good one for sale, its honest to goodness nice.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Wow.... I had just the opposite happen to me. Found a 1997SE on CL, got lots of pics, and flew to Phoenix to pick it up. Very nice ride, a little dirty, but you could tell it was babied.

I gave the guy 5.5K for it, even before I heard it run. Crazy, I know but I could tell it was in great shape.

Had a service manual in the trunk, cover, and the original owner kept some maintenance records.
Almost word for word, that's my story Sam. Change it to "I drove to Phoenix" & "I paid $6,100 for a '97A with 12,500 miles."....-Rich

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Buy it new & take of it. Most cost effective over a long period of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.