Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, wanted to get the info for this year's meet-up in one place instead of having to look through the many pages of the thread started to figure out the details.

When - September 11th - 13th
Where - Baker City Oregon area, specifically at the Copperfield campground in Copperfield, OR. Here's info on the Copperfield Campground.

What - This is our annual West Coast gathering affectionately known as "West Coast Wingnuts Jamboree and Mosquito Roundup" or WCWJAMR for short. :) This is a low key, non-hosted meet, greet and ride event.
Other Accomodations - Halfway is a town about 17 miles from the campground. They have a small motel there. https://plus.google.com/111630381410162605408/about?hl=en&gl=us

If you've never been to one of these, we meet up at a pre-determined place to hangout and ride together. We provide our own meals, accomodations, etc. We generally have a couple of semi-organized rides together but there is no obligation to ride with the group and you can come and go as you please. It's just a fun, no pressure way for some of our area forum members to get together, hang out and do some riding.

Other particulars - This is a remote area and cell phone connectivity is spotty at best. There is a pay for use wifi available in the campground. The roads in this area are made for motorcycles and there is some great scenery and wildlife is plentiful. The weather is generally pleasant at that time of year but plan for anything weather-wise. The campground is right on the Snake River and there were several people in the campground catching some nice fish right from the campground last year, so if you are so inclined bring your fishing gear and pickup an Oregon fishing license in Baker City or some other town before heading out on the highway to Copperfield.

Feel free to ask any questions you have about this event in this thread. We may or may not be able to answer them. :)

John

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Thanks John for putting this all in one place. I almost was not going to be able to make it this year. I will be in Munich till the 9th of Sept. I'll get back in town, catch some sleep and then head out. Looking forward to this. Just glad I could rearrange my trip to make it to the campout!!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
I will be there....camping...... but probably not with my better half.....she's still teaching, still saving the world one kid at a time. I'm looking forward to it; this was once my old stomping ground.....

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I am going to do my best to make it this year. I haven't made the plans yet, but either coming or going, I will tie a week's trip into those days somehow. I will be camping, probably solo.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Lots of fires up in that area. Make sure you check www.arcgis.com for the northwest large fire map before you head up!
As of today 8-18-2015 things look fine in Copperfield.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Actually, this map says there are 2 in the area. The Hurricane Creek Fire and the Pittsburgh Fire.
Good Catch! just be careful. these fires move so fast its scary. a fire here where i live in Northern CA went from 4,000 acres to 19,000 acres overnight last year.

·
Administrator
57,929 Posts

·
Administrator
21,943 Posts
What worries me isn't the fires, but the smoke from them lingering in that Snake River Gorge.

Up side would be; we could hang some hot dogs out before we go for a ride and they'd have that nice smokey flavor when we got back.

·
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far the fires are some distance from the campgrounds as well as a couple of the roads we like to ride. The only one somewhat in that area is pretty small and appears to be contained. It's also probably 80 miles from the campgrounds. Unfortunately there are two of them over by the Sumpter - Unity route. That road from Unity back up towards Baker City, 245, is one of the funnest stretches of road in the area. The Hell's Canyon Rally people call it the "Little Dragon". There are still plenty of other great roads to ride but I was hoping to do that one again.

The great news is that the Hell's Canyon Scenic Byway construction is done except for shoulder work. No more torn up road and gravel and no construction delays, so that great road is ready to ride this year. :)
http://hellscanyonbyway.com/road-conditions/ One end of that road is very near the campground and it is a great motorcycle road with great scenery and some considerable elevation too, over 6000 feet if I remember correctly.

We are little over two weeks away now. Greg and I are planning on travelling down on Wednesday the 9th in case anyone else is thinking about an early arrival. My younger brother and his wife might be joining us as well, on his obnoxiously loud Harley. :raspberry:
John

·
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fortunately NF-39 is MUCH nicer than a cow path, but very little traffic, lots of curves and nice scenery. I believe that 66 is mostly gravel though, at least that's what I've been told. I've not ridden on it.

Edit: I just looked a the map you linked and it says that 66 is not paved, so we have confirmation on what I was told before.

John

http://hellscanyonbyway.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/201539rd.jpg

Those #66 & #39 roads look interesting. Maybe gather in Halfway for breakfast and head north from there.

EDIT:
That's weird but they look like no more than cow paths on Google Maps.

·
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's the same in Washington right now, you can only have fires and barbecues and fireplaces.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm from Oregon and my understanding is that it depends on the location (due to local fire hazard level) but restrictions can include not even having fires in campground fire pits. Best bet would be to contact the campground or area rangers (state or fed) and find out the specific restrictions there.

You can still use propane, white gas, etc camp stoves for cooking.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm thinking about coming - not sure yet if my schedule will allow. If I come, I'd plan on '1/2 way' camping - meaning that I bring a tent and sleeping bag, but not do any food prep at the campground (rather not bring food and cookstove etc.), but rather eat at restaurants - are there any restaurants nearby? Is this plan workable? I'd be coming from Vancouver, Canada. I've never been to any of the Goldwing events, so this would be my first. I've done 1/2 way camping on the 88 wing I had last year, with my brother and friends on their Harleys. We ended up having a junk food dinner and then went out for breakfast.

·
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm thinking about coming - not sure yet if my schedule will allow. If I come, I'd plan on '1/2 way' camping - meaning that I bring a tent and sleeping bag, but not do any food prep at the campground (rather not bring food and cookstove etc.), but rather eat at restaurants - are there any restaurants nearby? Is this plan workable?.....
Howdy. This plan is quite workable and it is what some of us do as well. There is a small town about 17 miles down the road called Halfway. They have a couple of places to eat as well as groceries. There are also other country restaurants within easy riding distance that have decent food at very reasonable prices, in Richland OR and down the river in Cambridge ID. Both of the places we ate at last year in Richland and Cambridge gave you a lot of good food for not a lot of money. The roads to both are excellent motorcycle roads too. :grin3: Cambridge is about 40 miles and Richland is about 30 miles.

We would love to have you join us!

John

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.