Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy do I feel stupid but lucky at the same time. Went to leave for work this morning on the Wing and had to cut across the yard because both cars were in the driveway. As I am about to exit onto the asphalt, I see my mother-in-law's nurse pulling up. So I hit the front brake and down I went. I was more embarrassed than anything but it got my attention for sure. No damage to the Wing at all, but my gremilin bell is a total loss, smashed it flat! Glad I went down on the grass and not the asphalt as I am sure the damage would have been more severe.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Well at least you can check that one off the list. Glad to hear that you and the bike are fine. Too bad the Gremlin Bell sacrificed itself for the cause...

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am glad it did Brian. Yup, I can now say I am the other type of biker, as there are really only two. Those that have been down and those that are going to go down. If it had to happen, I could not have asked for a better outcome.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Sorry to read about your incident. Glad nothing but the gremlin bell was damaged. If you will PM me your mailing address I will send you another Gremlin Bell.....;)

Remember......RIDE SAFE ALWAYS!!!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PM sent and thanks. Here is a pic of the bell that sacrificed itself for me. LOL.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
:praying: May it Rest In Peace........ :praying:

PM sent and thanks. Here is a pic of the bell that sacrificed itself for me. LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Glad everything worked out OK.
I don't think I would retire that bell.

Have a great Thanksgiving too.

N

·
Large Member
788 Posts
I smashed one of by bells the same way only on asphalt:cheesygrin:. I just simply used a piece of 1/2" pipe and reshaped it to round again and put it back on. Still drives the gremlins mad:whip:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
did the same thing the other frosty morning. My dad had brought over some lower control arms from his 55 chevy for me to press the bushings in. Found they wouldnt fit in the trunk, so I tossed them in the truck, and flipped the bike around and headed towards the garage (detached behind the house). I always back the bike in, so I have to do a little loop-di-doo in front of the garage to back in. Well, the grass had a little frost on it, and a rip-roaring speed of 1.8mph, I got to test the bank angle sensor. It works fine by the way. My bell was saved, only because its mounted on the other engine guard.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Glad to here you are ok. I think I would have to try to straighten that gremlin bell and keep using it.
The PO of my wing dropped my bike before I bought it and broke his ankle in several places. I worked with his wife and she made him sell it after that so I bought it. He did eventually buy a smaller (shorter) bike.
I also dropped it on the road while trying to push it after it broke down.
The main thing is that you are ok and no injuries!!
Ride safe and enjoy the ride!!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
One thing I noted hear was the use of the front brake at low speed. Not a good thing but hopefully lesson learned to use rear brake during low speed maneuvering.
Wilf

·
Registered
33 Posts
I, also am glad you came through unscathed, you and the Wing. Condolences on the bell.

Wet grass can be....interesting? A couple weeks ago, I was taking the Wing out for state inspection and had to cross our lawn in front of the house. The back tire was, well...let's say low on tread. I hadn't swapped the rear tire yet, but there was enough tread to pass. I got stuck on the grass and carved quite a long divot out of the lawn trying to get the bike unstuck. Needless to say, when I got to the shop to get the inspection done, he looked curiously under my rear fender at the significant amount of mud and grass caked under it.

It can also be embarrassing. I was covering one of the Susan B Komen Foundation events when I still worked for the City on my Road King motor unit. I had to cross a grassy area of the park to get to someone in distress and made the mistake of stopping the Harley on an uphill slope of grass. When I saw my services weren't needed, I tried to slowly move on, but the bike had other ideas. I was pretty much stuck on the damp grass. I thought about backing down the slope, but it was a long one and got steeper toward the bottom and the odds of me making it to the bottom on two wheels was pretty slim to none. Fortunately, a couple attendees saw my plight and got behind me and pushed me going again. It was better that I was red faced with the strangers then to have to make that radio call for assistance.

I got to get me one of those gremlins!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing I noted hear was the use of the front brake at low speed. Not a good thing but hopefully lesson learned to use rear brake during low speed maneuvering.
Wilf
I know better, and usually only use my rear brake during slow speed manuvers, learned that a long time ago in a MSF course. As I said, I feel stupid and lucky also.

You can bet on this, I will be much more vigilant when I have to ride across grass instead of pavement.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
How could you even think of retiring that little bell. It sacrificed all for you, and you want to replace it, instead of working it's little pewter back in shape? Shame on you, shame.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I glad you didn't do any damage the way I see it is the bell did it's job !!!!!;)

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
As we all know, That little bell is more than decoration, it serves a very important purpose – it wards off gremlins, also known as evil road spirits. (from www.gremlinbells.com)

Sounds to me, the BELL did it's job, and just needs a little TLC and reshaping, so it can go back and do what it does best.

With the way my luck runs, I need 2 bells, one forward, and one aft. So far, so good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.