Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem.
I changed from injection to single carb. I have problems starting it when The engine is cold. I have to take the spark plugs out because they are all wet and have to blow dry them to start 馃
Any ideas what to do?

I also have a problem with the choke, it won鈥檛 release proper. It does not open all the way, only a little bit. I tried to adjust it, as seen on YouTube, but nothing helps. Any ideas?

Administrator
My first thought is you should have left the fuel injection on it. The choke is your problem. Get it working properly and it should fix your starting problem.

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first thought is you should have left the fuel injection on it. The choke is your problem. Get it working properly and it should fix your starting problem.
There鈥檚 a reason why I made this rebuild, it wasn鈥檛 working and no one could figure out the problem that鈥檚 the reason.
I agree that it is probably my choke but how do I get it fixed?

Administrator
No idea what carb you have . Is it an electric choke? Do you have power to it? Is the carb grounded? Does it have a vacuum choke opener? Pictures would help, maybe.

As it is mentioned, there is probably something wrong with the choke system on your carburetor - maybe it's just adjusted incorrectly? (At least that was often the problem when I worked with it in the "old days").
As it has also been said, it is important that the electrical connections are in order IF it is an electrically heated system, BUT it has nothing to do with the cold start itself but how fast the choke switches off.
Pictures and name and type of carburetor might make some of us remember something.

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solex Pitc 34 3
Is the name of the carb. It鈥檚 a kit you can buy when you go to single carb.
There is no electrical heating, but electrical choke. But if you have any idea how I make it electrical heating it would be nice
The picture is off the carb

Attachments

Administrator
I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert in single carb conversions but if it is mounted on a plastic manifold a ground (earth) wire has to be connected to the carb body and a metal part of the bike or the choke will not open up.

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert in single carb conversions but if it is mounted on a plastic manifold a ground (earth) wire has to be connected to the carb body and a metal part of the bike or the choke will not open up.
It鈥檚 mounted on an aluminum manifold and it has a ground on the carburetor

Administrator
Make sure you are getting power to the choke. Loosen the screws on the choke cover and rotate it counter clockwise, that should cause the choke to open. You will have to open the throttle slightly to let the tension off the fast idle cam.

The choke itself is controlled by a bimetallic clock spring. It is this spring that controls the cold start function. The electric heater then heats the bimetallic spring and thus causes it to gradually reduce the choke function.
The 12 volt + power cord is not used to activate the choke, but to deactivate it.
As mentioned, it is necessary that there is a ground connection to the carburetor.
The spring strength of the bimetallic spring is adjusted by rotating the round housing with the electrical plug when you have loosened the 3 screws in the steel ring.
Note: When everything is cold and you want to use a choke, it is necessary to first turn the throttle lever so that the stair dial to high idle is released by the arm from the throttle.

Administrator
I tried to adjust the choke so it鈥檚 a little bit Open but it Won鈥檛 open Fully when it鈥檚 warm only about 50%
So the carb you bought is junk, no big surprise there.

Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
Either the choke spring is over wound more than the amount of movement in the spring will not be enough to fully release the choke, also make sure that you are getting a full 12 volts to the choke heater. With the bike off take two wires and use as a jumper from your battery to the choke you can then see if you have a heater problem or a setting problem. If your choke fully opens with the jumpers than you have a power problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts