Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem.
I changed from injection to single carb. I have problems starting it when The engine is cold. I have to take the spark plugs out because they are all wet and have to blow dry them to start 馃
Any ideas what to do?

I also have a problem with the choke, it won鈥檛 release proper. It does not open all the way, only a little bit. I tried to adjust it, as seen on YouTube, but nothing helps. Any ideas?

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first thought is you should have left the fuel injection on it. The choke is your problem. Get it working properly and it should fix your starting problem.
There鈥檚 a reason why I made this rebuild, it wasn鈥檛 working and no one could figure out the problem that鈥檚 the reason.
I agree that it is probably my choke but how do I get it fixed?

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solex Pitc 34 3
Is the name of the carb. It鈥檚 a kit you can buy when you go to single carb.
There is no electrical heating, but electrical choke. But if you have any idea how I make it electrical heating it would be nice
The picture is off the carb

Attachments

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert in single carb conversions but if it is mounted on a plastic manifold a ground (earth) wire has to be connected to the carb body and a metal part of the bike or the choke will not open up.
It鈥檚 mounted on an aluminum manifold and it has a ground on the carburetor

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Either the choke spring is over wound more than the amount of movement in the spring will not be enough to fully release the choke, also make sure that you are getting a full 12 volts to the choke heater. With the bike off take two wires and use as a jumper from your battery to the choke you can then see if you have a heater problem or a setting problem. If your choke fully opens with the jumpers than you have a power problem.
I will try to measure if this Is 12v or maybe buy a new choke it鈥檚 not so expensive

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How many amps is the choke heater using? Just because it has voltage doesn't mean it's working. It could be open circuit. Does the choke move at all when you power it for 15 minutes, or is it in the same place?
I don鈥檛 know how many amps and use what is opening 50% and I have have it running for for 30 minutes and still only Open 50%

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Power the choke heater with jumpers from the battery, the heater coil should heat up quickly and if the choke does not open fully you have a setting problem. If the choke opens fully then you have an electrical problem. I would not buy a new choke only to find you only had to set the choke properly. This is what we had to do to set the electric chokes on new carbs back in the day. That the choke opens 50% leads me to believe it is set to tight.
I鈥檒l try that

Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
One thing to check first there should be appox. 1/8 inch of free play in the choke plate when completely cold. I can not see a choke unloader or pull off that had the job of opening the choke that first 1/8" so the engine could get some air, some carbs used incoming air to push the choke open that small amount. If the choke spring has tension on the choke plate to fully closed that is also a sign of an overtighted spring. When you bought the carb did you get a setting spec sheet?
It is Open a bit and there was no sheets just a box with the carburetor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts