Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Either the choke spring is over wound more than the amount of movement in the spring will not be enough to fully release the choke, also make sure that you are getting a full 12 volts to the choke heater. With the bike off take two wires and use as a jumper from your battery to the choke you can then see if you have a heater problem or a setting problem. If your choke fully opens with the jumpers than you have a power problem.
I will try to measure if this Is 12v or maybe buy a new choke it’s not so expensive

·
Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How many amps is the choke heater using? Just because it has voltage doesn't mean it's working. It could be open circuit. Does the choke move at all when you power it for 15 minutes, or is it in the same place?
I don’t know how many amps and use what is opening 50% and I have have it running for for 30 minutes and still only Open 50%

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
215 Posts
Power the choke heater with jumpers from the battery, the heater coil should heat up quickly and if the choke does not open fully you have a setting problem. If the choke opens fully then you have an electrical problem. I would not buy a new choke only to find you only had to set the choke properly. This is what we had to do to set the electric chokes on new carbs back in the day. That the choke opens 50% leads me to believe it is set to tight.

·
1,870 Posts
I will try to measure if this Is 12v or maybe buy a new choke it’s not so expensive
It is ALWAYS an good idea to find out where the problem is BEFORE bying parts !
If you are dealing with the carburator in your pictures i am sure it just needs adjustment !
(but i dont see the fuel cut off solenoid in your pictures ? ).
Please tell how many Ohm you have when you meassure from the electrical connection on the choke house to the negative battery pole ("normal" wire removed from choke house) !

·
Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Power the choke heater with jumpers from the battery, the heater coil should heat up quickly and if the choke does not open fully you have a setting problem. If the choke opens fully then you have an electrical problem. I would not buy a new choke only to find you only had to set the choke properly. This is what we had to do to set the electric chokes on new carbs back in the day. That the choke opens 50% leads me to believe it is set to tight.
I’ll try that

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
215 Posts
One thing to check first there should be appox. 1/8 inch of free play in the choke plate when completely cold. I can not see a choke unloader or pull off that had the job of opening the choke that first 1/8" so the engine could get some air, some carbs used incoming air to push the choke open that small amount. If the choke spring has tension on the choke plate to fully closed that is also a sign of an overtighted spring. When you bought the carb did you get a setting spec sheet?

·
Registered
Goldwing GL1200SESC 1986
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
One thing to check first there should be appox. 1/8 inch of free play in the choke plate when completely cold. I can not see a choke unloader or pull off that had the job of opening the choke that first 1/8" so the engine could get some air, some carbs used incoming air to push the choke open that small amount. If the choke spring has tension on the choke plate to fully closed that is also a sign of an overtighted spring. When you bought the carb did you get a setting spec sheet?
It is Open a bit and there was no sheets just a box with the carburetor

21 - 27 of 27 Posts