Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK Folks ,I need a volunteer or 2 to check out Hotels/motels with camping nearby and a place to hang out at night ..We need to get info ASAP as I want to post the location and the links up to give people time to arrange their vacation.

I am not asking for full committment from any member ,just a bit of info and prices in a good area near the finger lakes ...Preferably a member in the area .

I can try and do it on the net ,but it is not the same as someone on the ground that knows the area , Not much point in me looking at a hotel ,if there is not a camping site near it , SO COME ON LADS I need a local member TO CHECK IT OUT FOR US.

The dates will be decided over the coming weeks,but it will be held somewhere between mid june and the 3rd week in Aug ,,and midweek ,TUE TO THurs ,, Ciaran

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

We stayed at the Best Western in Horseheads NY last year. It is my preferred layout for bikes with parking in front of your room. Rates were OK but sometimes they spike for some reason and go from $80 to $140.

Facilities were limited with one good restaurant in front but nothing else local.

The Wellsboro M&G showed a lot of full motels but I wasn't able to pin it down to a specific event in the area. Watkins Glen has a car race track that may have had an effect.

Good area for riding, scenery, winery tours. Lots of waterfalls especially around Ithaca.

The Glenn Curtis Museum in nearby Hammondsport is a must IMO.

My $0.02.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Wexy....my wife and I stayed in New York for 10 days back in the early 90's....We were told that the dorms where we would be staying were only heated no A/C ...So we took some small fans to keep us cool at night.....Yeah right at about 1 AM I shut both fans off, closed the windows, and went looking for extra blankets at the student dorm office.....It gets rather chilly in the first weeks of June for sure.....but really nice during the day......Good place to have the NASSIR 3 at...Its really some pretty country side there .....I can't help you with any thing but just say great choice for NASSIR 3....Ride for us to attend is 1595 miles 24 hours just to the Finger Lakes area.....one way.......OUCHIES.....:action::action:

Claude......

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Barb & I are planning on spending tomorrow ( Sunday) nite in The finger Lakes, we'll try to get some info :waving::waving:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
imported post

I'm almost as far away as you are Wexy, no help here. never been east of the Mississippi River.

That's not quite right, I saw Jackson, Michigan once for a day.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

Good choice in the area and time frame.
I have been thinking about a trip up there and it is well within my travel area.
Colorado was beautiful, and I wouldn't have missed it, but it was just a little too far away for my better half.
Looking forward to next year already.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I'm almost as far away as you are Wexy, no help here. never been east of the Mississippi River.

:?:?:?I thought I remembered talking to you in Calhoun........if my directions are correct, which my wife tells me alot that they aren't.....Georgia is East of the Mississippi:cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:

:?:?:?I thought I remembered talking to you in Calhoun........if my directions are correct, which my wife tells me alot that they aren't.....Georgia is East of the Mississippi:cooldevil::cooldevil:
Afraid that doan count suh! Mid Lost Airlines covered my winders and I never saw a thang betwix Feenix and ATlanter, so there warn't no big rivah in betwix :coollep:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I guess they didn't want you to scare all thelocal crows and buzzards on the flight in:bat::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Some thing to consider is the nascar races nearby:

June 6 Pocono Raceway
June 13 Michigan International Speedway
June 20 Infineon Raceway
June 27 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
July 3 Daytona International Speedway
July 10 Chicagoland Speedway
July 17 OFF WEEK 3
July 25 Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Aug. 1 Pocono Raceway
Aug. 8 Watkins Glen International

Aug. 15 Michigan International Speedway
Aug. 21 Bristol Motor Speedway
Aug. 29 OFF WEEK 4 - last one
Sept. 5 Atlanta Motor Speedway
Sept. 11 Richmond International Raceway
Sept. 19 New Hampshire Motor Speedway

Not sure what effect these would have on the local motels/hotels but a local would have a better idea:baffled:

Ride Safe, Ray:waving:

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
imported post

Some of the Hotels and Campgroundsin the Finger Lake's area, at this time, are almost full Aug. 5-8, 2010 because of the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen. When there is a race at the Glen the population increases by more than 100,000 people in the Finger Lakes area. The nice part is that most of these people are gone by the Mon. Aug. 9.

The Finger Lakes area is a very popular area to be visited and one must book well in advance of your visit. Besides the lakes, this area will be great for riding the bikes as the local area is rolling hills (but not as high as Montrose) and lots to see as some others have posted.

Penn Yan seems to be the centre of the area with the Finger Lakes Travel and Toursim office located here. http://www.fingerlakes.org (1-800-548-4386 9-5 Mon-Fri) Their website lists a number of hotels/motels/bed&breakfasts/resorts. Reasonalble hotels (below $100.00 per nite) are close to centers such as Corning, Painted Post, Courtland, Bath, Auburn and Watkins Glen with camping in the out lying area's.Most hotels offer mid-week rates with higher rates on the weekends I checked my Woodall's Camping Guide for the Finger Lakes Area, lots of camping in this area,

The area hosts over 100 Winery's and a number of Micro Brewries with most having restraunts with the ablity to host goups for a meal. Seems there are numberous eating facilities located in the area.

Wexy, I think that this is a good choice for NASSIR 3

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

Way too early to make commitments but is anyone going to hazard a guess as to the number of rooms and campsites needed?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I'd hazard a roughguess at 70-100 rooms and 25-40 campsites. :baffled:

·
Just one of the guys
4,830 Posts
imported post

I will try to do a little digging when I get a chance.Be carefulor you will be trapped between a pair of lakes. Actually some of the best riding in this area is northern PA such as Potter county. Keeping the meeting near the NY/PA border would be a good idea.

There is no doubt we need to avoid the Watkins Glen Raceway schedule, even on the wine festival weekend it will extremely busy so if there are some who plan to arrive early or stay late we will need to watch this.

I have only stayed in that area a time or two but there are others I know who go there often so I will try to talk to some of them in the next few days and get some ideas.

BTW Wexy, Syracuse is only an hour and a half away and Elmira, Corning, and Binghamton all have good shopping for Fabienne.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

We're looking for anyplace that puts us within a days ride to Niagara Falls. We've never been and this looks like the best time for us to do it.

I've already started checking some of the campgrounds out and comparing rates and locations. As soon as we narrow down nearest city location then I can zero in on the motels and campgrounds.

Once I've complied a list then it would be nice if a local could go check them out and do some verifications.

·
Just one of the guys
4,830 Posts
imported post

Niagara falls is about a 3 or 3 1/2 hour ride from the watkins glen area, a doable rideout and back in a day, long but doable.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
Niagara falls is about a 3 or 3 1/2 hour ride from the watkins glen area, a doable rideout and back in a day, long but doable.
That's what I'm talking about! I thought Watkins Glen would be close enough and it has the highest concentration of hotels/motels compared to other cities in the area.

As long as we can lock in the dates for a mid week venue between weekends of local events then we may stand a chance of getting some group rates. Of course the Nascar schedule is the one we really have to contend with.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

I rode thru new york a few years back. Corning is a nice town and You may be able to do differant rides from there. . JB

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

A rally in this area is very doable and the wife and I are already discussing what we need to do and how much we need to save to make this trip possible. Our son will be 16 in December and we believe in a couple of years he won't want to make a trip like this with us like he would now. That's one of the reasons I bought the sidecar and am buying the camper from Sethan12.

I'm getting very hyped up about this for next year already as I made the first one in Calhoun and had to miss this years rally in Montrose.

I'm more than willing to devote the time on the net researching the area and making phone calls to gather current information as long as we have a few locals that are willing to spend a little time verifying the information once I have it available to list here.

The biggest piece of vital information that we'll need to get the ball rolling is a list of participants, which will be a big help in obtaining any group discounts for camping and the motels. We want to convince the locations that we have a large enough group coming at a time when their occupancy is at a low level and the influx of our group will increase their revenues at a time they could use it.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

wgj46 wrote:
Some of the Hotels and Campgroundsin the Finger Lake's area, at this time, are almost full Aug. 5-8, 2010 because of the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen. When there is a race at the Glen the population increases by more than 100,000 people in the Finger Lakes area. The nice part is that most of these people are gone by the Mon. Aug. 9.

The Finger Lakes area is a very popular area to be visited and one must book well in advance of your visit. Besides the lakes, this area will be great for riding the bikes as the local area is rolling hills (but not as high as Montrose) and lots to see as some others have posted.

Penn Yan seems to be the centre of the area with the Finger Lakes Travel and Toursim office located here. http://www.fingerlakes.org (1-800-548-4386 9-5 Mon-Fri) Their website lists a number of hotels/motels/bed&breakfasts/resorts. Reasonalble hotels (below $100.00 per nite) are close to centers such as Corning, Painted Post, Courtland, Bath, Auburn and Watkins Glen with camping in the out lying area's.Most hotels offer mid-week rates with higher rates on the weekends I checked my Woodall's Camping Guide for the Finger Lakes Area, lots of camping in this area,

The area hosts over 100 Winery's and a number of Micro Brewries with most having restraunts with the ablity to host goups for a meal. Seems there are numberous eating facilities located in the area.

Wexy, I think that this is a good choice for NASSIR 3
That is a very good link you've provided and I've used it already to start my research. I like it's search features as it list all the closest campgrounds and motels by area/city.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.