Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this for the first time on Facebook.

in the short time that post was up, it had 279 opinions thrown at it...

for myself, full face modular, but who am I to tell you what to do?

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
493 Posts
I know you like that Shoei Neotech II modular John, , ,I too like the modular style and chose the HJC IS Max II mostly because of the fit, safety/features, and cost ($185). I'm in the process of putting Hi-Viz and reflective stickers to increase visibility (I hope).

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
I wore a 3/4 up until a year or so ago then got a modular. I did have a modular years ago but didn't like it because it was noisy. I liked the 3/4 for the better field of view and being able to get a drink of water without opening the helmet but I get along with the full helmet well enough.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
906 Posts
I have Full face, 3/4 and modular.. I use all 3 depending on the weather and or if i'm riding alone or not- the 3/4 Arai's we have are fitted with the communicators

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you like that Shoei Neotech II modular John, , ,I too like the modular style and chose the HJC IS Max II mostly because of the fit, safety/features, and cost ($185). I'm in the process of putting Hi-Viz and reflective stickers to increase visibility (I hope). View attachment 322581
I
I ended up with the Shoei after trying 2 other ones at Cycle Gear in Tulsa, they did not have HJC at that time.

My prior helmet is a HJC
Still have it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,596 Posts
Claustrophobia and full face helmets don't play well together. Add to that the temps around here, (110° today) and I'll stick to the open face.

·
Registered
'93 GL1500 Aspencade '80 GL1100 STD Vetter
788 Posts
Depends on weather. Open face usually - I Have a Slipstreamer tall windshield - I'm a tall guy (6' 6") and can't see over it, and sometimes enjoy a smoke going down the road. Cold or rainy I get out the full-face. I have a Half-Hat I can wear if really hot out. Kinda like the half-hat but protection is limited....

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I use modular. I just bought a carbon fiber AGV and weight is noticeable. Much better on my neck. Wonderful thing about most modulars you can make them what you want. You can remove visor remove whole modular part and have open face. To each his own.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
514 Posts
Modular for both of us - HJC IS-MAX-BT. I can crack the shield a bit if I need more air.

I think it's been 5 years this year, so time to look for another set. Looking at Schuberth C3 Pro, but can't find one to try on.

Reactions: RobertW332

·
Registered
716 Posts
Have been using modular helmets for snowmobile and motorcycle riding. Have the Shoei Neotec II and the AGV carbon fibre modular helmets. The Shoei is one of the quietest helmets I've used, the AGV is extremely light but not as quiet. I do use earplugs with both.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
My parents gave me a full face for Christmas when I was 14 and had started racing a bit. Full face is all I have used since. At 64 I am quite comfortable wearing it.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Were same age . ONA WING. I had 3/4 Arai and moved to HJC Max. full size Excellent helmet. I wear ear plugs so I dont know about the noise. I dont have to wear 2-3 type of glasses as this has sun visor built in. You could add high viz.
But when riding around town I dont use any helmet.
Yes, I know ,I know.....

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
I have a couple Shoie (spl?), an Aria, and several HJCs. If alone, I wear a FF, if wife is with me but it's cold, still FF. Warmer weather, my modular or this one below. I never throw out a headset, so most of mine have headsets & I have spare cords too.

That's plastic on mic foamy, it is not frozen snot.

I have this 1970s Bell Star 120 too, but I haven't had it on since October '77.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know you like that Shoei Neotech II modular John, , ,I too like the modular style and chose the HJC IS Max II mostly because of the fit, safety/features, and cost ($185). I'm in the process of putting Hi-Viz and reflective stickers to increase visibility (I hope). View attachment 322581
headlights and two running lights in a triangle configuration increases visibility from a distance. this was proven by the Federal Railroad Administration, Use of AuxiliaryExternal Alerting Devices to Improve Locomotive Conspicu-ity. Report DOT/FRA/ORD-95/13. Hi-viz works right when you are a few feet from the vehicle by then its too late.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wear full face 99% of the time. 60F and above no face shield while wearing safety sun glasses. below 60F and bad weather the face shield is on. the chin and mouth is worth protecting.

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
Reactions: CrystalPistol
1 - 20 of 21 Posts