Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I haven't been on the forum much for the last 3 days. We've have a septic tank that blocked up on the input side and backed up into the house. The entire downstairs part of our house (1150 Sq Ft) was flooded with just over an inch of drain water and sewage. So it really is a crappy situation.

We called in ServPro to help clean up. So far all of the carpet and the flooring is a loss. All of the drywall will be cut back 2 feet up from the floor. Most of the panelling is also a loss as the water wicked up abut 6 inches up the wall. Many of the cabinets, desks that are not hardwood are also a loss. Anything sitting on the floor that is porous is a loss. The kitchen cabinets are a loss. All of the appliances can be decontaminated.

We'll be finishing up the cleanup by Friday and the insurance adjuster will show up then. He won't come out till the place has been decontaminated!!

After the concrete has been decontaminated and scrubbed they will put in the dehumidifiers and air scrubbers. It will be at least Monday or Tuesday before any restoration can start.

I have a mound of black bags out in my front yard waiting for the dump truck to show up Friday.

What a crappy way to start the new year!!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Gee Henry, sorry to to hear of your and Edie's misfortune .... that really stinks! :needahug:

Hope things get cleared up soon and back into the regular flow of life!

Cheers, Ken

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Real BUMMER Henry :sadguy:.

Lets hope it's worst for the year. Best of luck with getting back in order.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Gee Henry, sorry to to hear of your and Edie's misfortune .... that really stinks! :needahug:

Hope things get cleared up soon and back into the regular flow of life!

Cheers, Ken
Ken you have a way with words!! :)

The stink has been cleaned up, now all we smell is the disinfectant/decon chemicals/enzymes.

I fixed the "Flow of Life" the first day when I found the problem. I have a clean out at the entrance to the septic tank. Once I opened that up and remove the blockage everything started pouring into the tank!!.

One good thing is that when this is all over and done with we will have a spotless downstairs to the house complete with new carpets, flooring, cabinets, paint etc.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

you put a new term on knee deep in ....... poop lol

i cant tell ya how crappy that sounds, i had to put my feet up it was gettin deep over here...

lol

all pun's aside i hope all goes smoothly from here on out best of luck maybe go to church and get some holy water and sprinkle it over the basment for good luck

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Oh how times have changed. When I was a teen we had basically the same thing happen to my parents house. We got out mops, bleach and went to cleaning. Was a messy job but when we would complain Dad would simply say "The stinky stuff was yours."

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Henry been there, had that happen to us but it took only days for our house to be unlivable....6 months to move back in....The county put in a new Larger PVC line, didn't hook me to it....Then the old line got full and the mess backed up into my house and back yard....At first it wasn't bad then it got really nasty...County came out after I had a plumber out...They dug up my line sure enough they missed putting me on the new line...Some idiot with the county ran a pressure line into my line at first thinking I was just pluggged up...thats when the pookie hit the fan, florced it under over half of my floors...Insurance company took care of it....But it took 6 months to get back in....All new flooring, they found termite damage that the PO didn't say anything about....

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I just can't do it. I've been sitting here trying to think of a way to comment without a pun and I just can't do it. This is just such a fertile topic.

·
Premium Member
55,688 Posts
imported post

Now that you got thatout of the way,you know the rest of the year is going to be great....

Nothing could top that..............................

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that, Henry.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

That's a tough start to the year Henry. I hope you can get it all repaired and back to normal soon.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about the mess.....

We got lucky with only water covering about 80% of our floors when the toilet tank cracked... I know how you feel....

Only good thing about this happening to us, is that the wife got new floors and paint in the whole house..... She went nuts and did a great job......

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I can't really havecomments w/o geting into moderator trouble. :?

I really feel for you and hopefully it will only be a distant memory very soon.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Hanko,

Living out in the country and also having a septic system, this is something I worry about. Sorry to hear about the mess. I hope the Insurance does right for you.

Like they say in Vegas... A Flush beats a Full House

Tim

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I appreciate the "Bathroom" humor, it helps to lighten the mood and make this easier to deal with. I've been searching for an emoticon with smiley sitting on the throne but haven't found a good on yet.

Stuff is just stuff, and it won't be long before the house is in better condition than it was. I needed to paint anyway so this is just forcing me to get off my duff and get it done.

Redbaron...wow!! 6 months sucks!!

Thanks for the kind thoughts and keep the humor coming, it helps to laugh!!

Henry

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
imported post

That is a rather crappy way to start a remodel.
Most people get new cabinets and such because they are Affluent, not because of Effluent.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Oh man, what an unpleasant start to the year. :sadguy: I'm glad you're keeping a sense of humor about it all though. :cheesygrin:

John

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

DougW wrote:
That is a rather crappy way to start a remodel.
Most people get new cabinets and such because they are Affluent, not because of Effluent.
OK Doug that was 2/3's of a PUN ..... P.H.e.w. :ROFL::ROFL:

I like it. !!!:cheesygrin:

Henry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.