Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got the bike back together today with the new Elite IIIs. Just got back from a 40 mile break in run and am really surprised how much difference there is. The wobblies are completely gone! I tried to make it wobble by bumping the handlebar at speeds from 20 to 50 and it wouldn't do it. I was planning on tearing her down next week to get at the head bearings but don't need to now. I knew the old tires were worn but didn't expect so much improvement, grooves on the road that the old tires tried to follow are totally ignored now. She sits perfectly still in the wide sweepers on the slab, no more hunting at all. Quiet too!

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Thst's good news Paul. I'd be interested in knowing how you fare wiuth the EIIIs when you get some miles on them. :waving:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

My '94 1500 SE got a set of new Elite 3 tires one week ago also. I've driven about 1000 miles so far and really like these tires.

I was told that the Elite 3 tires will get a few more miles than the Elite 2 tires.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I haven't tried the III's yet, currently have the II's on.

Don't want to bring up something that may have been hashed in the past, but have you ridden the Metzler ME880.

I had a set on previous to the II's, great tires, rolled into corners with less effort, softer ride, better cold and wet traction had to replace them at a rally out of town as I picked up a nail, they had 17,000 miles on them and probably would have gone 5,000 more. Oh yeah, I press down on them significantly and when my wife rides with me...well let's just say GVWR may be pressed a little to far.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

My bike certainly doesn't suffer from over light loading when we ride two up either, Alas! But then you really can't get much work out of those little lightweight women either. Looking at the tread pattern on the IIIs compared to the IIs it looks like there's more uninterrupted rubber on the center line which might contribute to slower wear.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

The EIIIs are great. I have 2500 miles on mine right now and really like them. I even got caught in a huge downpour on the interstate the other day and they stuck like glue... too bad the shoes I was wearing that day didn't fare as well, the glue inthem turned them into slippers and the bottom halves of flip flops! They also hold up under a load... I did something probably a little stupid the other day, but it was a matter of just getting it done or leaving it in the alley. I was helping an old girlfriend move her boat out from behind my place so I could build the garage/shop for my bike and Merc. A neighbor across the street graciously offered to place it in their back yard, but the only way to access it is an alleyway... as you may be guessing by now, I ended up hooking the ski boat to my wing and powering it up a small incline and into the back yard... I buried the rear tire up to the frame a couple of times in loose gravel, but the bike just kept tugging it along and after a quick rinse, the tire looked as good as new and nothing was damaged.

I wonder if Redwings Bridgestones can take that kind of punishment.... I'm sure he will chime in to chastise me for abusing my wing like that.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Several months ago someone had a link to a tow setup like that with a video clip showing it in action. The only thing I'd wonder about is how long the clutch would hold up. It's going to be pretty hard on it getting underway. Getting started up some of the steeper streets of Seattle two up is bad enough. Spring street and upper Cherry come to mind.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I'd be worried about the clutch givivg up with that setup. Also I don't think you would be doing your GL1800 frame any favours either.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey Brojees, you need to change that avatar, it's giving me goosebumps! It's summer, that snow has to go!:bash:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

SoulvilleUSA wrote:
I wonder if Redwings Bridgestones can take that kind of punishment.... I'm sure he will chime in to chastise me for abusing my wing like that.
Hey SoulvilleUSA :baffled: It's a tractor that you need. :crying:Anyone found guilty using their wing like that deserves a :whip:

:bash: :18red: :bash:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
I don't think you would be doing your GL1800 frame any favours either.
Why whats wrong with the GL1800 Frame. :stumped:

:baffled::18red::baffled:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Hey Brojees, you need to change that avatar, it's giving me goosebumps! It's summer, that snow has to go!:bash:
Yeah it's giving me pimples. :whip:

:bash::18red::bash:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.