Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

just finished changing the front and back tires . the prevous owner had a set of elite 3 on the bike . i found k177s in germany for half the price of what they would cost here in norway .

the difference is just amazing , and i fianally got rid of that anoying ( whining ) sound that came from driving in a strait line.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

I am going to have to buy several tires when I get back State-side later this year (hopefully!). How big a can of worms will I be opening if I ask "So, what is the best tire out there?"

Just thought I would prepare myself in advance! :cheesygrin:

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
imported post

dbd123 wrote:
I am going to have to buy several tires when I get back State-side later this year (hopefully!). How big a can of worms will I be opening if I ask "So, what is the best tire out there?"

It would not be a can of worms, nor would it be a bucket of worms, it would be a barrel of worms!!!:shock:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

saywen wrote:
just finished changing the front and back tires . the prevous owner had a set of elite 3 on the bike . i found k177s in germany for half the price of what they would cost here in norway .

the difference is just amazing , and i fianally got rid of that anoying ( whining ) sound that came from driving in a strait line.
I think that the difference is morein the newness of the tires than in the different brand. Any new tires will feel a lot better than any old and worntires. But that is just me.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I agree with Hawker.

Putting a new set of rubber on is going to make quite a bit of difference in the handling department.

I had but no choice to install a new K177 on my front(OEM tire) after my E3 was worn out on one of my cross country tours and I disliked the handling/ride of the K177,compared to the E3.

K177s were on the bike when I bought it and there was a big difference in the ride/handling between the 2 models of front tires. I feel the E3 is a superior tire with better grip and mileage.Not so much a big difference for the rears, although the rear K177 was quieter longer and gave good mileage. I feel that the rear E3 is a little more 'stickier', noisier andlonger wearing. JMO

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
saywen wrote:

I think that the difference is morein the newness of the tires than in the different brand. Any new tires will feel a lot better than any old and worntires. But that is just me.
That's right any tire is better than a worn tire :smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Well I have the Michelin Pilot gt's and can say they are a good tire on my bike although they cupped and make noise like most tires on the wing. I was constantly checking tire pressure and keeping it at 41 lbs. Your supposed to keep them at max pressure to avoid cupping. Didn't work for me they cupped at 5000 miles or so they wine but I like the handling. Not going to take them off till I wear them down more. I think I'll try the Avon venoms next heard good things from owners of them. It seems like they all arn't perfect for the bike.:waving:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

dbd123 wrote:

Having seen this movie before and thoroughly enjoyed it I thought I would pop over to Costco and get a box of 36 bags of microwave popcorn. I'm now all set, got the computer in front of me, the microwave just to the right and the beer fridge to the left (I'm in the garage) ..... commence the entertainment:cheesygrin:

Henry

·
Premium Member
55,703 Posts
imported post

Me to, pass the popcorn

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Oh yeah :dance:,,,,,,,,,, I'm into a good classic ,,,,, and I like popcorn:cheesygrin:

But seriously,,,,,,,, New rubber is always enjoyed on a bike. But from my own experience, I can say make and model also makes a diff.

2 sets of E-3's I got over 14,000 miles on each set. Good wear and good grip, even in rain.

2 sets of Michelin Pilot GT's,,,,,, 10,000 miles on each set. Less wear, but the handling is so much better IMO. I just put on another set and have another set stowed away :smiler:.

There,,,,,,,,, thats my part,,,,,,, now share some popcorn guys :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

I though the Michelin pilots were suppose to be the best, I couldnt find any so I bought the Elite III their not bad the bike seems to turn fast with'em they make a little whine.

·
Premium Member
55,703 Posts
imported post

Avon's, no cupping, no whine, good grip.. I'm lucky to get 11k on anything so why listen to a howling tire..

Passing fresh popped corn to Winger.........

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I love the E3's :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

dbd123 wrote:

It seems certain tires perform better on certain bikes . I also think it is some to do with rider preference .

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
imported post

I've used the following tires on my 1500
E II - ok, cupped front, average miles
E III - ok, cupped front , average miles, squirelly wet traction
Metzler - Terrible cupping, long wearing, tread seperation on rear (2 sets)
Avon Venom - (2nd set) longest wearing, good wet traction, quiet

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.