Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am new on here and am hoping I can get some help from some expert forum members.

I'm about to replace the bad engine of my 1992 GL1500 Interstate which had 127k miles on it, with a newer engine/transmission from a 1998 Aspencade that has only 5800 miles on it. It has reverse while my Interstate did not. What I need to know is, what are all of the components of the gl1500 reverse system?

I need a list of components so I can properly add reverse to my Interstate. The salvage yard that I bought the engine from will give me all the reverse components in exchange for my old engine but I want to be sure that I get EVERY component needed including the proper starter, lever, modules, wiring and anything else that is required.

I know that it needs a different starter and a reverse module, a reverse lever (not sure how its attached) and some kind of wiring for the reverse light but all and all I am pretty much in the dark here. I'm confident that I can put it all together if I have all the right components. Any help will be extremely appreciated. I hope to hear from someone soon as I am planning to pickup the components this Wednesday morning.

Thanks in advance to all,

Kevin

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I wonder if there is any kind of a schematic or something that lays out the entire reverse system of a GL1500.

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

I think it would be easier to get the entire donor bike and change whats bad on it with your good parts then let the salvage have the left overs.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yea unfortunately that's not an option. The bike was mangled in an accident and has already been stripped. The only damage suffered on the engine was a cracked valve cover. I went to ebay and typed in reverse to see what would show up and I was amazed at the number of parts involved in the reverse system. I'm thinking maybe I'll just gonna go with the Fred Flintstone reverse system...my feet! My only question is... will my existing starter work with the new engine since it has reverse gears or do I need a different starter?

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Starter should be the same.

as for components, as you found out loads.

control box, diode bank, lever, cables, dash light, (wiring harness ?)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Wireing harness is needed, front to back, with all attached switches and relays as they tie into the ecm as safety controls before reverse will work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.