Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I need to get a new Battery, but what do I need? The one that's in there is a Sears, but I don't see any identification on it. I have the little pamphlet that came with the battery (as the previous owner was anal about documenting everything), but nothing is checked off on the list of batteries the pamphlet covers. I don't want to assume that the battery thats in there is the proper one, but with no identification, It doesn't matter. Theres nothing that I could find in the repair manuals that I have......
I did a search on this forum but didn't see anything that relates to battery type or size.

I know Im charging, (well, Im pretty sure) because my volt gauge is a pretty steady 13.6 to 13.9 I believe it was. Runs great will start fine when I charge the battery, just won't hold the charge for a day or two. Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: I should say it won't hold a charge while "just sitting" for a day or 2.

A GoldWing...... Just sitting for a day or 2........ Just doesn't sound right now does it.........

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Sears show their 44359 battery for GL1200,1100,1000. Do you really want another Sears? You can probably pick a suitable battery up at Walmarts.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I definitely DO NOT want another Sears Battery. I did find a number on it, not looking at it right now but its a 50 - 18l-a3 or something like that. I did a little digging on the net and found a few reviews were the buyers experience an 8 month life out of them, not too good. Ill check out TriState, if there's nothing around here like that I'll probably head down to AutoZone or someplace to see what they have.

We went for a 35 mile or so ride and my volt guage was pretty steady on 13.6 at 2500 RPMs, so I would imagine it's just a bad (Sears) Battery.

·
Premium Member
3,329 Posts
imported post

I believe the original battery was Y50-N18L-A3. That is a 20 ah battery and is the same battery that fits all Goldwings up through the 1500. Not sure about the 1800.

I bought a replacement battery that is an AGM type (doesn't have the liquid acid) and they usually last a lot longer than the well cell type batteries. Can get them most anywhere that sells batteries or can order online. I got mine from here:

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/honda/1985/1200cc-gl1200-gold-wing/

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I got one at AutoZone. Dry-cell, maintenance free, comes charged, ready to go. It was about 2 times the cost of a wet-cell from Walmart, but I'm betting it will last 5 times as long, with no maintenance...and my bike starts instantly. :)

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome jobe05 ., you need only year,make and model of your bike. Go to the supplier of your choise and they will have a listing of batteries to choose from.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

I use the wall mart 55 buck Everstart. I have two Everstarts in my Diesel that have been in for 6 years and I just checked and cleaned the connections yesterday and both multi-meter readings were great. I will get the odessey battery when this one goes.My Buddy has an Everstart in his 1200 and its been in for 3 years without a hitch. Just top it off from time to time with distilled water. Arizona eats batteries as I assume the frozen North does also.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

http://www.westcobattery.com/battery_page.php?bid=66&vid=1&mid=69

This is the battery I would get, if my charging system were in perfect condition. I currently have these batteries in 5 bikes, and have yet to have one fail, oldest one is over 5 years. I also live in the Phoenix, AZ area. I put a Walmart battery in my Goldwing, which is also a 1200LTD, because I have serious charging system problems (charging fine, but burning up wires like crazy, R/R is seriously overheating) I decided not to risk an expensive battery in it, plus I actually wanted a battery you could add water too. The battery that was in it when I got it was almost dry, so I thought it might be over charging. Have you checked your R/R, and all the wires and connections from the stator to the R/R? I found a lot of burned wires, and all 3 plastic connectors were badly burned and melted.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I like Interstate batteries for all applications. I put one in my 85 LTD a few years back, AGM type for about $109 andI think it had a 3 year non-prorated replacement. The good thing (among many) about the agm style is that there will be chance of acid leaking out on your exhaust.

Just my $0.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.