Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Ok, so going with the advice from the group I've decided to replace the flat-tread rear tire. The big question now is, what brand to go with? Should I stick with the stock 140/90-16 size, or is there a better, wider version (like you can do with cars)?

I'd like as many opinions as possible, and soon, so I can get back on my bike. :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Just me personally, I would go with specs when it comes to tires. (tyres) You really can't go wider because of the frame. It won't fit. The brand name??? That's up to you and the money you want to spend. I use Dunlop (cheaper version, $90.00 a tire). Their is J.A.Pan tires out there that work but most people are scared to put them on a heavy bike. I also don't do any long driving. Mainly because of my job and it's hard to get away for me. IfI did do long drives I would most like put better tires on the bike.

Not much help sorry.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

What year and model is your bike and what type of driving do you normally do?

There is such a wide range of choices in tires that it can become mind boggling. Some tires with hard compounds are great for mileage but wet road handling and braking is poor, other tires are so soft that they will run you bankrupt because they wear so fast.

Myself, I'm waiting for feedback on the Generation III Dunlop Elites because they are supposed to have licked the poor handling and wet weather problems while still delivering their great long distance mileage.

I took a set of fairly decent Dunlop Elite II's 491 off of my 84 Wing because they made me so nervous on wet roads and irregular surfaces. I went to a set of Bridgestone Exadras and found them to be absolutely terrific but after 6000 Kms. they are showing signs of severe cupping and I can't, as of yet, get the manufacturer to account for this. My Wing is in excellent condition having been rebuilt quite recently yet that cupping is still occuring. There was no cupping whatsoever with the Dunlop Elite's, just poor handling/braking in inclement weather.

Looking forward to seeing other's, in depth, opinions on this board.

Vic

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi ,I think if you look back along this forum,you will find pages of advice on tyres,it is a subject that seems to come up time and time again ,,and the conclusion I have come to after reading the many posts is that is all comes down to personal preference ..have a look back along some of the previous pages on the forum you will find plenty of advice cheers Ciaran:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the input, folks. I did a search for "tires", forgetting that this board seems to be primarily populated by those in Ireland. So, I'll do a search for "tyres".

In the meantime, for those willing to help, I live in the US, drive an 83 GL1100 Interstate with 20.000 miles on it, drive 60 miles one way to work down roads that are often wet, always curvy, at speeds up to 70 miles per hour.

Thanks!
Jack

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I have an 83 as well. I have been on Bridgestone Spitfires for about 5,000 miles. These are dual compound tires. Harder compound in the center and softer around the edges. I like these tires. And I got a good price from some online seller. I forget who I got them from now.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Thanks for the input, folks. I did a search for "tires", forgetting that this board seems to be primarily populated by those in Ireland.
I think its mostly USA and Canada users in 1st place and UK second, Ireland 3rd, just going by numbers Jack. The Irish do seem to post a lot though, perhaps we are just not as shy!! :pI asked Steve about the stats for the site (not the forum) once and he reckoned that out of a total of over 250,000 page hits a month (all the site pages) that about 5% would be Irish and 80-85% US and Canada. I suppose similar stats would apply to the forum and similar stats to the general numbers in each country that buy Wings. Its great that this forum unites Wing owners from all over the world and since this forum replaced the old one we have some great input from peole that know what they are talking about. Most of those gurus I think are from the US and Canada (not forgetting our own guru, Jason).

About tyres, the Elite II (491s) always were a poor choice for wet countries and for city riding. They seem to be more suited for long straight roads for the following reasons; 1. They take a long time to warm up. 2. The flat profile (compared to the 177s) is not really suited for leaning into corners). 3. The thread lasts for ages, probably because the rubber is too hard.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Yes I agree with Vic about the S11. Very popular on the older Wings, haven't heard of any vices with them.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I've always had good luck with the Bridgestone S11 Spitfire's. Good handling tire and wears pretty well. Change them as a pair... you'll be happy.

Marco,

Ashland, OR

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey jsmith24, :waving: Fit Bridgestones everytime. :clapper: They lead the way. :clapper:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.